Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 Announced

Ubisoft announces Rainbow Six Vegas 2, a sequel to the Tom Clancy shooter set in sin city, due for release in March 2008:

London, UK — November 20, 2007 — Today Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, announced that it is developing Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six® Vegas 2 for next-generation consoles and PC. Developed at Ubisoft Montreal by the same team that created the award-winning Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas, the highly anticipated sequel is scheduled for a March 2008 release. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas 2 is the sixth iteration in the wildly successful Rainbow Six franchise which celebrates its 10th anniversary in 2008 with more than 16 million units sold worldwide to date.

“Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas took the gaming world by storm in 2006 thanks to its technological advances and gameplay innovations,” said Yves Guillemot, president and chief executive officer at Ubisoft. “We are convinced that Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas 2 will remain a pioneer in the highly competitive first person shooter genre, bringing more of what Rainbow Six fans love to the table.”

The highly anticipated sequel to the winner of numerous awards, including IGN’s 2006 Best First Person Shooter and Best Online Game, Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas 2 will push the franchise to new heights by adding new gameplay features and even more stunning visuals. Players will encounter an intense solo campaign that uses new tactical possibilities in various locations around Sin City. As expected with one of the pioneer franchises for online multiplayer Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas 2 will also break new ground in both co-op and adversarial modes, while providing unprecedented interaction between the solo and multiplayer modes.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Screw UBI Nov 26, 2007, 20:03 noctroglyph

IDK WTF you are talking about...UBI just released the 4th or 5th patch for R6:V on the PC just about 2 weeks ago; they followed through on the free additional multiplayer maps as well. the only thing they HAVEN'T done is release the map editing SDK (although that is somewhat moot if you own UT3--you get it for free there).

Come to think of it, that may be the reason that they didn't release it...perhaps Epic said "no way can you release UT3 tools before we release UT3..."...you never know.

~noc~

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 20:04.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. No subject Nov 26, 2007, 08:14 dryden555

Chaos Theory really was a fun game and the graphics were very well done. Experienced no bugs here. Rainbox six is a different mechanic than Chaos though so I'm not sure these 2 games attract the same type of gamer. I personally could care less about team-based real-time combat but I had a blast with the single-character gameplay of chaos theory.

34. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 14:18 Dmitri_M

Not at all. I'm a fan of Operation Flashpoint, SWAT3, CoD and Vietcong. I know what to expect, and I enjoyed Vegas. Maybe your standards are too high

COD and Vietcong certainly can't be classed as tactical shooters in the same league as Ravenshield or the original Ghost Recon. While Vegas might be enjoyable as an action game, it isn't a tactical shooter and shouldn't be a part of the R6 Franchise. That's the basis for most of the complaints in this thread. But I guess I'm pissing against the wind, since R6 truly is dead.

33. Re: No excitement from me Nov 21, 2007, 09:58 manic half

Huh... Chaos Theory was so horribly buggy we couldn't get past the 3rd level on either PC and we purchased it 6+ months after release and had all patches applied.

Maybe the story/concepts were good, but it was trash at a technical level and their forums were riddled with similar comments.

ah, i have it on my xbox because at the time my pc was a bit suck and could not run it. so i can't comment on the pc side of it. altho what you say does not surprise me, ubisoft seem to have a track of butchering pc versions.

32. Re: No excitement from me Nov 21, 2007, 09:20 Fibrocyte

Huh... Chaos Theory was so horribly buggy we couldn't get past the 3rd level on either PC and we purchased it 6+ months after release and had all patches applied.

Maybe the story/concepts were good, but it was trash at a technical level and their forums were riddled with similar comments.

31. Re: No excitement from me Nov 21, 2007, 07:59 manic half

You clearly haven't played Chaos Theory (which is easily the best Splinter Cell game).

i was starting to wonder if i was the only one who thought that.

everything just came together perfectly in that game, i've played it through so many times.

30. Re: No excitement from me Nov 21, 2007, 05:22 Jerykk

On that note, all splinter cells after the first one were also rather trashy.

You clearly haven't played Chaos Theory (which is easily the best Splinter Cell game).

29. No subject Nov 21, 2007, 02:15 cronik

Raven Shield kicked ass back in the day.

28. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 01:12 Charlie_Six

And this whole time I thought it was a reference to the six nations of Rainbow. O_o  
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

27. Re: No subject Nov 20, 2007, 23:28 Some Dude

started out as six, as in rainbow six

"Six" is actually a reference to the commander of the unit. The unit was "Rainbow"; John Clark was "Rainbow Six".

No comment on the game either way; I'm just pointing that out.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 23:28.

26. No subject Nov 20, 2007, 22:41 zirik

started out as six, as in rainbow six. then went down to three with vegas. i bet they will dumb it down even further to a one man squad.

25. Screw UBI Nov 20, 2007, 22:22 Donkey_Punch

UBI is no longer the company we remember and loved. Now they release horrible console ports filled with bugs. Sure the console kiddies think it is amazing since it is a dumbed down version of what the rest of us have been playing for years.

UBI now releases buggy PC game after buggy PC game. They fake support with patches that don't really fix anything because they know that the majority of sales happen within the first few weeks after release. GRAW 1, Lockdown, Silent Hunter 4, GRAW 2, R6: Vegas all abandoned and left crippled with bugs.

UBI can keep Jade Raymond because this kid isn't buying their crap any more.

24. No subject Nov 20, 2007, 21:51 doktor_tchock

Bad game. Anyone who played pre-lockdown Rainbow Six will understand.

You could successfully finish an entire stage solo, on "hard" (aka "moron"), using the tactical shield and a pistol held thug style. Rainbow Six: Soldier of Fortune.

One of my favorite games of all time is Raven Shield. I'll agree that Vegas is not really the game Rainbow Six started out as, but it's an enjoyable game in a different way.

P.S. -- I discovered the same thing as well, with respect to the riot shield... but I just force myself not to play like a retard (because I don't think it's fun)

23. Re: No subject Nov 20, 2007, 21:45 Grounded

I loved this freakin game! Bring it on!

22. Re: If at first u dont suckceed Nov 20, 2007, 20:50 Some Dude

AA in game it's 2007 AA was has been arround since the Geforce 1. IF the game does not have 2x AA default it should at least give the oiption to turn it on or off

In 2007 you should Google "deferred rendering".
This comment was edited on Nov 20, 21:00.

21. No subject Nov 20, 2007, 20:34 BeefJerky

Your standards are too low.

Not at all. I'm a fan of Operation Flashpoint, SWAT3, CoD and Vietcong. I know what to expect, and I enjoyed Vegas. Maybe your standards are too high

20. Re: No subject Nov 20, 2007, 20:02 Charlie_Six

I really liked it, too. I had the 360 version though. I have to say I like the multiplayer in Vegas better than I like COD4's. COD4's is way too arcadey. But Vegas has a problem too. The cover system is basically cheating. In most situations, a player hiding behind cover is impossible to spot, while being able to see everything. I thought this ruined a great deal of the realism, for one, and just made the game less fun.

Furthermore, the cover system wasn't even used very often during multiplayer battles, beyond the "I see you, you can't see me" cheating I mentioned above. While the cover system was absolutely integral to success (maybe TOO integral) in the singleplayer campaign, it was basically useless in multiplayer. So there was a big disconnect between what went on in singleplayer and what went on in multiplayer. In singleplayer the cover mechanic let you feel like you were in a Hollywood or TV-style shootout, with both sides taking shots at each other from behind cover. This was fun.

However, in multiplayer, I rarely saw this occur amongst veteran players. So the cover system was more like a stealth surveillance system more than anything else.

Other problems existed when it came to fighting the AI, in co-op or singleplay. The AI is almost completely incapable of killing players at medium to long ranges. I swear, 90% of my deaths to AI were from shotguns.

PS -- I was hoping the next Rainbow Six game would take place in another shiny and famous city. We've explored Vegas. It's time to go elsewhere to see the lights! New York? Tokyo?

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 20:04.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

19. No subject Nov 20, 2007, 19:03 Bone43

When ubisuck bought Red Storm that was the end of the good Rainbow Six games.

18. Re: No subject Nov 20, 2007, 19:00 Dmitri_M

Your standards are too low.

17. No subject Nov 20, 2007, 18:03 BeefJerky

I've only ever played co-op over LAN on the PC and it's lots of fun. The cover system is excellent.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo