Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Stats

This week's Steam Marketing Message mentions the launch of the new Steam hardware survey, points the way to the new survey results and the previous survey results as well as the Half-Life 2: Episode Two stats page that's compiling player stats such as average completion time and total play time as well as death maps showing where players die most often in each map.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

59. Re: The end is hard Nov 26, 2007, 04:45 Cully

As I said, not quite the same thing, but you use a rocket, and it makes you jump. As far as i'm concerned, thats a feckin' rocket jump!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: The end is hard Nov 25, 2007, 14:00 nin

Really...you could rocket jump in Doom eh? That would be quite impossible considering you couldn't look up or down in Doom before mods.

Rocket jumping existed in Rise of the Triad, not Doom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_jump
Other adaptations

A horizontal form of rocket jumping also appears in Doom (1993), where it is used to reach the secret exit in E3M6 (it is possible to reach the exit without rocket jumping, but rocket jumping was the intended method according to John Romero[1]).

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

57. Re: The end is hard Nov 25, 2007, 12:55 Krovven

Really...you could rocket jump in Doom eh? That would be quite impossible considering you couldn't look up or down in Doom before mods.

Rocket jumping existed in Rise of the Triad, not Doom.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

56. Re: The end is hard Nov 25, 2007, 07:07 Cully

Actually, the rocket jumping was intentional. Twas originally used in doom, to get to the 3rd secret level, and while its not quite the same thing, it certainly a direct evolution of it.

55. Re: The end is hard Nov 24, 2007, 13:38 Krovven

Everything you have compared Ep2 to is a multiplayer game. Ep2 is single player.

I'd take what you call "over designed" from Valve over anything else in the industry at the moment. Flukes are just that, flukes. They are far and few between. You can't back off on game design in hopes of having a "fluke". The rationalization just doesn't make any sense.

Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

54. Re: The end is hard Nov 23, 2007, 21:22 Tango

Of course I realise it, that was precisely my point

Valve's games are now so designed, all the "flukes" have gone.

53. Re: The end is hard Nov 23, 2007, 21:17 Krovven

It's the skiing in Tribes, the rocket jumping in Quake

You do realize that both of those things were flukes and weren't designed to be in the game. People just discovered these things and turned out they worked well as game mechanics.

When they tried to design skiing into Tribes 2 and T:V it just never worked the same, or quite right.

52. Re: The end is hard Nov 23, 2007, 20:43 Tango

I know what you mean about the "no buildings destroyed" achievement. I have no idea how anyone could have accomplished that. I'm surprised it's the 3rd least-awarded achievement, and not the 1st.
While I agree it's almost impossible to complete without at least the Sawmill going up in smoke, the other two achievements are far harder / more tedious. Squishing every bug in Ep2 would take a very, very long time in the least fun (or most boring, if you're Enahs ;P) part of the game. I'm not sure how many there are, but there are some pretty inaccessible ones.

As for the gnome one: http://www.kfj.f2s.com/index.php/2007-10-15-gnome-quest sums it up.

I liked Ep2 a lot. But then I enjoy the Source engine's environments, and I think Valve employ the best level designers in the business. I like the 'extras' such as achievements.

I played through Ep2 twice, the second time with commentary. Playing with commentary is interesting, because you realise just how designed the HL games have become. Everything is put there to be fun, everything is there to add something to the game, anything that confused playtesters has been taken out, there are very, very few rough edges.

But here's the rub - the better Valve get at utilising the Source technology, the more they use Steam's data collation to find out where we die, which weapons we like, what we find difficult, and feeding this stuff into their products, the more I feel like I'm playing a game. The more I feel the "fun" is designed. It feels like 'organised fun' - like an office christmas party. Yes, there's drinks and drunken ladies, but someone has said "let's have an office party and make it FUN" and from that point on, it's never going to be that great.

All the truly great games are that way because we, the players, contribute to what makes the gameplay fun. It's the skiing in Tribes, the rocket jumping in Quake, playing CS:S and restricting yourself to an uzi. It's giving the player the freedom to invent new strategies / moves / tricks / comedy moments, and I really feel that Ep2, in its quest to be perfect, felt too designed - it was all about what Valve thought we would find fun. And although they are there 80% of the time (for me, less for others, I admit), they don't let me make up the extra 20%.

That's just my 2 cents.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 20:45.

51. Re: No subject Nov 19, 2007, 20:29 xXBatmanXx

Sure they do - you just aren't smart enough to follow along! BITCH!!!!! HA!

Supporter of the Cell Phone Jamming movement.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

50. Re: No subject Nov 19, 2007, 20:10 >U

Damn I love being smart.
but not smart enough to realize that those posts don't belong in this unrelated thread

49. Re: No subject Nov 19, 2007, 19:51 xXBatmanXx

Finished Allied Assault tonight....went to install Spearhead expansion, and I think my disc is bad!?

I am trying to copy over the install files to install locally, but one of the cabs won't copy.

Bummed.

bwaaahahahahah

Used some software that ignores errors and moved the disc image to a thumb drive.

badabing badaboom.

Installed and rockin'.

Damn I love being smart.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

48. Re: No subject Nov 19, 2007, 19:45 >U

See Enahs, there are plenty of other reasons why people haven't finished the game.

- No interest in the HL2 single-player games.
As usual your Valve blinders are shielding you from the obvious. If there were NO interest in the HL2 games, then a player wouldn't even bother to start the game, so finishing it is a moot point.

No time and will simply come back to it later.
EP2 is only six hours long and can be finished in less time. A person who doesn't bother to finish a six hour game doesn't care much for it.

- Too many other games being played
That substantiates that EP2 is not as fun as the other games being played instead of it.

I've played TF2 about 3 hours in the last 2 weeks. I suppose that means I think it's boring? No it means I'm too busy with life and choosing to play Crysis and the Witcher through first.
Wow, another specious gem from you. What a surprise. TF2 is an open-ended multiplayer game. EF2 is a single-player game (and a relatively short one at that) with a finite ending and little replay value if any. If a player doesn't take the time to push through a 6 hour game especially after owning it for around a month, it is most likely because he doesn't find it entertaining enough to finish.

In this case it's that "only 48% of players completed the game, that means the game is boring, because that's what I think of the game." It's just grade-school rationalization with you.
His "grade-school rationalization" beats the hell out of your irrationalism.

47. No subject Nov 19, 2007, 19:33 xXBatmanXx

See - just like I said, gotta just keep trying until the NPCs line up just right and all of your shots his perfect.

Finished Allied Assault tonight....went to install Spearhead expansion, and I think my disc is bad!?

I am trying to copy over the install files to install locally, but one of the cabs won't copy.

Bummed.

46. Re: No subject Nov 19, 2007, 15:45 Krovven

Not going to argue with you. But if you don't want me to call you on something like this, then don't state "the game was boring" followed by "only 48% of the people finished it". Whether your intention was to cite it as its only reason or not, when you do it like that, that's what it sounds like and I think most people would come to that same conclusion.

If you want to at least sound objective, even though you thought it was boring, then state that there are other reasons as well. Otherwise it just sounds like you are taking that single stance as the reason for the discrepancy in percentage.

That's how it read to me anyways...
If you weren't taking that single stance, then I stand corrected.

And no, I was considering Camaro's script to finally block Zeph's serial killer gospel preaching and Riley's multiple personalities.

45. No subject Nov 19, 2007, 14:57 xXBatmanXx

Come on now kids, we all have to play in the same school yard.

44. Re: No subject Nov 19, 2007, 14:42 Enahs

See Enahs, there are plenty of other reasons why people haven't finished the game.

- No interest in the HL2 single-player games. Orange Box was bought for Portal & TF2.

Durh. I said that already.

Did some people not like the game...yes. But it's not the only reason as you would like it to be.

Seriously. Do you post high? Please show me where I said it is the only reason. Please show me once where I insulted somebody or said they were wrong for liking the game? I can show you multiple times where I said great if other people liked it.

You have a very warped sense of view on what I said.

I pick on you because you constantly try and contradict shit without consideration to other factors. You choose the most negative context and run with it. In this case it's that "only 48% of players completed the game, that means the game is boring, because that's what I think of the game." It's just grade-school rationalization with you.

No. You pick on me and make up crap I say because you have nothing better to do. Why am I not allowed to express my opinion on the game?

I separated the part from where I said I dislike the game from the hard statistic that more then half of the people that have played it so far, in Valves Eyes, have not finished the game. It is a hard statistic. Are you just pissed at me because so many other people in this thread have the same opinion as me as to the game, which you disagree with; so you are taking it out on me? Like in the twisted world you live in, people can not have different opinions.

I have already pointed out some of the flaws in it (the statistics), and you pointed out more.

But why in the F do you go around making up crap and say I am saying it. I simply am not. You just have a hard-on for me for some reason.

Have I not put your favorite game in the Alt Logo yet and hurt your feelings?

Seriously, I apologize for hurting your feelings. Please stop making up crap I am saying and responding to it. Please. I am trying to be nice here. But you are constantly saying shit about me and making up total BS that I said. It is getting boring.

Last time we went through this you are the one that started insulting me and then said you were going to use Camaro's Script to block me because I started insulting you; which was again more BS lies from you. Please, just do ignore me so you will at least quit making up crap about what I said. I have been perfectly nice and courteous to you since that event, either do the same or ignore me like you said you would. Either way, be a damn man.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 14:47.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

43. Re: No subject Nov 19, 2007, 14:36 Ecthelion

Well, does that mean that 20% of the people that played used cheat codes?

I mean....you HAVE to kill acid antlion workers. Very early in the game.....
I wondered about that too. I suppose you might be able to knock them over with the grav gun, and run past them, but they would follow you once they got up. It would make the game harder than just killing them like you supposed to, that's for sure.

They could make that an achievement - "Antlion Sympathizer - Completed the game without killing an Antlion Worker".

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 14:36.

42. No subject Nov 19, 2007, 14:29 xXBatmanXx

Well, does that mean that 20% of the people that played used cheat codes?

I mean....you HAVE to kill acid antlion workers. Very early in the game.....

/edit: Damn - those maps make the game feel so......small.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 14:32.

41. No subject Nov 19, 2007, 13:33 xXBatmanXx

No matter HOW PISSED OFF I GET playing a game - I never use cheat codes...although I may get through it - I never feel right that I "cheated".

Part of the excitement and feeling of accomplishment in playing a game is defeating it or me.

I am sooooo unbelievably stuck on getting out of the nazi base in Allied Assault. The base is blowing up and on the hardest setting you get shot INSTANTLY and die when someone sees you and you don't pop them. So I need to rush out into the open with 2 baddies behind me and 5 in front of me. I have died at least 30 times....but I walk away from it, and I will try again later. At some point, it will work.

I just wouldn't feel right if I cheated. What fun is that?

/edit: Reading the walkthroughs, I am at the end of the game - and just need to get lucky with some of the baddies. ugh. It is damn near impossible, but I will get it.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 13:36.

40. Re: No subject Nov 19, 2007, 13:14 Krovven

I haven't finished it because I haven't had dedicated time to sit down and play.

- No interest in the HL2 single-player games. Orange Box was bought for Portal & TF2.

- No time and will simply come back to it later.

- Too many other games being played

- Cheating (ever think that maybe a patch they introduced changed the way the achievements are handed out, thus impacting how some got it and others didn't?)

I'm sure there are a dozen other factors involved, but none of them are the one and only reason. Did some people not like the game...yes. But it's not the only reason as you would like it to be.

Look at a the "Highest Map Played". It's a very light decline from beginning to end, with a quick drop for the last map. Meaning people got there, but never bothered to finish. Buddy of mine had his car and Alyx disappear on him on one of the maps, and even though he could load a previous save, I don't think he has bothered...because he is too busy and has a handful of other games to play.

I pick on you because you constantly try and contradict shit without consideration to other factors. You choose the most negative context and run with it. In this case it's that "only 48% of players completed the game, that means the game is boring, because that's what I think of the game." It's just grade-school rationalization with you.

I've played TF2 about 3 hours in the last 2 weeks. I suppose that means I think it's boring? No it means I'm too busy with life and choosing to play Crysis and the Witcher through first.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 13:18.

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo