Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis Patch Within Two Weeks

A Crysis Chat Log on inCrysis recaps last night's IRC session (story) with Crytek's Cevat Yerli and NVIDIA's Roy Taylor discussing the just-released first-person shooter. Technical topics are the focus, touching on questions about XP performance versus Vista and things like that. Word from NVIDIA is to expect performance improvements "almost with every single driver drop and patch of the game," and there's also word from Crytek on when to expect the first patch for the game: "We are collecting up all the user feedback now and planning patches that will address as much as possible as fast as possible. The first patch will be out in 7-14 days."

View
79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

79. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 15:28 cronik

HL2:EP2 i havent played, and i dont really want to either because i thought HL2 was just crap and totally overhyped.

How dare you.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

78. ... Nov 20, 2007, 20:40 theyarecomingforyou

Well, I've upgraded to an 8800GT 512MB, have overclocked it (720/1700/975) and now Crysis runs noticeably better (less stuttering, detail to high) but performance is still far from good. I think the problem with the 8800GTS 320MB is that the memory is a bit on the low side, hence the prominent stuttering I encountered. Obviously I'm basing my opinions on the demo - I have heard the retail version runs better.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

77. Re: No subject Nov 20, 2007, 09:38 nin

What?! I've got an 8800GTX, E6600, 2gb RAM on Vista 64 and the game runs fine in 1680x1080 or whatever that resolution is with everything set to ultra high. It may not be a constant 40fps, but hell it's more than playable as it is now.

Same, only vista32...looks awesome, runs a lot better than I expected...

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

76. Re: No subject Nov 20, 2007, 05:56 Beaner

Note: I don't care about CoD4 multiplayer. Everyone's been raving about it, but why do i want to buy a game just for the multiplayer? If i want to do that i'd buy a fucking MMORPG, not an FPS.

Some people like SP some prefer MP. I think for years everyone gloated over the SP in a game. If some game came out that was say MP only it would get scrutinized.

I think today there is a vastly larger audience of folks who buy games for the mulitplayer aspect, not just for the SP. Some folks could care less about the SP portion. I think most publishers under estimate the market for people who like playing good mulitplayer games. They've been so focused on eye candy console like games for the last several years.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 05:59.

75. No subject Nov 19, 2007, 06:50 Malakai

What?! I've got an 8800GTX, E6600, 2gb RAM on Vista 64 and the game runs fine in 1680x1080 or whatever that resolution is with everything set to ultra high. It may not be a constant 40fps, but hell it's more than playable as it is now.

74. ... Nov 18, 2007, 21:05 theyarecomingforyou

Plus you don't need an uber SLI pc to play Crysis in highest settings. Just a pretty decent Vista PC. 8800GTS/GT and an e6600/e6400 and you'll be able to play it at a reasonable resolution in highest quality.
I have an 8800GTS, an E6750 (@3.3GHz) and Vista and run it in medium - even then I get stuttering and drops in framerate. And yes, my machine is configured properly... most other games run like a dream. A single 8800GTX will get you 30fps in high, so you do need an SLI system to play it properly with the detail turned up. People can pretend it runs fine all they want but all the benchmarks and my personal experience demonstrate otherwise.

As for the 1UP review... it was pretty shit and wasn't pleasant to read.

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

73. No subject Nov 18, 2007, 20:17 Malakai

This is mainly about that damn 1UP review.

God why is everything being compared to CoD4? The single player in that is just crap. Some missions are stupidly easy, then a few are impossibly hard (All in Ghillie) with very little ground in between. Couple that with what is esssentially a formula of "gun battle, run, gun battle, run, end of mission" and that's it. The story line isnt exactly great, infact it's pretty much bog standard.

Note: I don't care about CoD4 multiplayer. Everyone's been raving about it, but why do i want to buy a game just for the multiplayer? If i want to do that i'd buy a fucking MMORPG, not an FPS.

HL2:EP2 i havent played, and i dont really want to either because i thought HL2 was just crap and totally overhyped.

Bioshock i can agree with. That did have a brilliant story and really kept me interested in the character/world.

Crysis is a good game. Yes it's like a tech demo, but what game that uses a brand new engine isnt like a tech demo? Thing is, although the story may be a bit wierd and crap, it's good fun if you play the game like it's supposed to be played. Sneak in, kill people stealthily, get caught, end up in a huge battle, somehow survive then move on to the next objective. That and the fact you can chose ANY entry point you want, you aren't locked to a certain route and it's brilliant.

Plus you don't need an uber SLI pc to play Crysis in highest settings. Just a pretty decent Vista PC. 8800GTS/GT and an e6600/e6400 and you'll be able to play it at a reasonable resolution in highest quality.

I just hate the kind of reviewer who reviewed Crysis on 1UP.

72. ... Nov 18, 2007, 06:29 theyarecomingforyou

I played the MP Beta first and thought it was terrible. The levels are huge, there is no focus and the level design is completely uninteresting, plus the character animations and bouncing vehicles destroy the supposed realism of the graphics. Battlefield 2 easily has better multiplayer.

71. Re: ... Nov 18, 2007, 03:24 PHJF

Too bad it also has a very interesting multiplayer aspect. It's like Battlefield with extended depth.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

70. ... Nov 17, 2007, 18:54 theyarecomingforyou

I thought I'd post a link to the IGN AU review, which gave it an 8.3: http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/835/835139p1.html

Some highlights:

"It sounds very harsh, but compared to the likes of Call of Duty 4, HL2: Episode 2 and BioShock, Crysis feels a bit like a soulless tech demo."

"There are a few key storytelling moments, but for the most part it's you on an island, following GPS points to the next enemy/alien base. Cue intense battle scene for ten minutes, followed by a trek to the next battle. The result was zero emotional attachment to my character, any of the friendly characters, and I gave even less of a shit about my foes."

"For the 0.2% of the PC market that has an SLI system, Crysis is the shiznit. For these lucky few, mind-blowing graphics elevate what would otherwise be just another solid shooter into the realm of must-have gaming. Sadly, for those of us without golden toothbrushes, private jets and PCs from the future, it remains just a solid shooter, that isnít in quite the same league as other recent triple A releases."

This pretty much sums up how I feel about the game... the review is nearly spot on in my opinion, though I didn't find the AI as impressive.

69. Re: ... Nov 17, 2007, 18:34 FreonTrip

blah blah dipshit

What, you're still on about this? And now you're telling me to go away because I offended you? I think there's enough room here for both of us. I'll ignore your existence if you'll ignore mine.

68. ... Nov 17, 2007, 18:24 theyarecomingforyou

lol, you're a total asshat.
You need to seriously chill out. I didnít offend your mother or a dead relative; I merely criticised the developers of a COMPUTER GAME.

NEWSFLASH, THE BEST GRAPHICS CARD AVAILABLE HAS BEEN AVAILABLE FOR A FULL YEAR. A year. In computer hardware. Is. A. Long. Time. If it's anyone's problem it's nVidia's for not fucking releasing a 9800 when they should have.
Firstly, the 8800Ultra was only released 6 months ago. Secondly, Crysis was delayed for an entire year; it was due to be released when the 8800GTX was the top performing graphics card. Therefore, the developers had an entire year to optimise the engine and still failed. Also, I really disagree that nVidia AND ATi are to blame for Crytek releasing a poorly optimised game Ė that is especially true when COD4, TF2, Bioshock and UT3 all look and run great. You can stomp and shout as much as you like but it is Crytek that are to blame; not consumers, capitalism, the price of oil or the downturn in the US economy. Also, a year isnít any longer than usual in the graphics market Ė itís usually a year until the next model of graphics card comes out, with the 9xxx series delayed slightly until early next year. Instead nVidia released an updated product line that brought the top-end of the market much closer to the average consumer.

Crytek succeeded because they made the best-looking computer game, by far, seen yet.
That's your opinion. There is no disputing that the engine is technically impressive but I prefer the engines of other games Ė the ones that look great AND run well. I prefer the animations and lip-sync that went into Source/TF2; I prefer the atmosphere that went into Bioshock; I prefer the AI that went into COD4; etc. I like the new water in Crysis, the gun animations and other technical elements but overall, to me, it falls flat. I donít claim to speak for everyone or even a significant number of people Ė I am just calling it as I see it.
Doom 3, by most accounts a lackluster game, did the same thing.
That was another game that I disliked the engine to. It was technically accomplished but didnít impress me Ė I disliked it from the first screenshots I saw.

Have you already forgotten Hellgate and Gears of War?
Hellgate wasnít a AAA title Ė it was hyped to be but it was always an underdog AND it turned out to blow chunks. As for Gear of War I cannot comment because I havenít played it on PC Ė I only have a mess about with it on the X360 near release, though because it was a port and has been delayed I never considered it a AAA title.

I highly doubt even the men at Crytek thought they'd be releasing their labors unto a stagnant hardware market incapable of supporting their product.
Iím sure they were hoping that a faster graphics card would come along so that their game didnít look shit but running a business based on ďhopeĒ isnít a very clever thing to do.

And the stupid thing is, a LOT of people complained about it in Farcry. I guess in Crytek's mind doing the exact same thing, but replacing "mutants" with "aliens" is somehow better.
I knew it would end up the same as Far Cry when I first read about the plot. Itís ridiculous for them to accept the mutants as the weakest link and then go and swap them out for the same fucking thing. At least with Valve they accepted that the alien ending to Half-Life blew and omitted it from Half-Life 2.

67. Re: ... Nov 17, 2007, 17:31 Creston

Y'know, Creston, when people let their egos get tied up in things, they get defensive and irrational. I obviously hurt your feelings. Get over it.

Whatever dipshit. If you post an opinion on a forum, and people don't agree with it, they'll counterpost. That's the whole fucking POINT of a forum. I'm sorry that such a simple concept makes you cry.

If you want to post something and have everyone nod and pat you on the back and let you bask in their glory, I suggest you go back to slashdot or wherever the fuck it is you came from.

Creston

66. Re: ... Nov 17, 2007, 17:26 Creston

The one thing I'd like to emphasize is that, to an extent, they stumbled on the last third, like in Far Cry. As soon as the aliens become the dominant enemy, the battles become a slugfest. The fights with NK soldiers were awesome because you'd roll up on a camp or patrol, quickly evaluate the situation, and then choose your tactics. The ability to play any fight the way you want to can't be emphasized enough

Completely agree. I wish they would just stop with this bullshit "super enemy" crap, and give me 15 levels of jungle with towns and complete free form gameplay. I guess Cevat Yerli gets a gigantic boner from aliens or something.

And the stupid thing is, a LOT of people complained about it in Farcry. I guess in Crytek's mind doing the exact same thing, but replacing "mutants" with "aliens" is somehow better.

Still, it's a very good shooter. The last part just feels... I dunno. Off. Not Crysis. Everything's railroaded. And shooting 14,892 aliens out of the sky gets really boring really fast.

I liked Farcry better, all things considered. Think I might go replay that now.

Creston

65. Re: ... Nov 17, 2007, 17:22 Creston

Thanks for the help Evil Timmy

Creston

64. Re: ... Nov 17, 2007, 15:30 PHJF

That's silly. Because "they should have"? Laughable. ATI's newest card still doesn't perform up to the 8800 series...so why then would NVIDIA release a new product when they can keep selling the 8800 series for awhile until ATI comes out with a new card?

it makes good business sense fucktard, there are *plenty* of gamers sitting on 8800GTS/GTX who have been on the same card for a full twelve months. Crysis could have, SHOULD have been the title to launch a new graphics card on. I highly doubt even the men at Crytek thought they'd be releasing their labors unto a stagnant hardware market incapable of supporting their product.

63. Re: ... Nov 17, 2007, 15:16 FreonTrip

Good to know.

62. Re: ... Nov 17, 2007, 14:40 Krovven

If it's anyone's problem it's nVidia's for not fucking releasing a 9800 when they should have.

That's silly. Because "they should have"? Laughable. ATI's newest card still doesn't perform up to the 8800 series...so why then would NVIDIA release a new product when they can keep selling the 8800 series for awhile until ATI comes out with a new card?

It's business, and makes perfect sense. Make what you can off of your current products. No reason to force their own products off the shelves when they do not need to.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

61. Re: ... Nov 17, 2007, 14:35 Krovven

Crysis and yet I think it is the worst of the AAA titles out this year.

Have you already forgotten Hellgate and Gears of War?

Have you played beyond the first map?

The game is great. Has it's problems, but all games do. In this case at least the problems are the companies out to abuse their customers like the two above mentioned games.

I truly fail to see how anyone that liked FarCry can dislike Crysis. It's the same game with a new coat of paint and gameplay changes to spice things up. And I'm ok with that, because I liked FarCry, and I like Crysis.

Graphics you cannot compare to TF2. I love Tf2, I love the art style and graphics of TF2. But we are talking a difference of MILLIONS of polygons and other effects being used on screen in Crysis versus TF2.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

60. Re: ... Nov 17, 2007, 14:01 PHJF

Delete every intro movie. Straight to menu.  

79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo