Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

UT3 UI Fixes Planned

The UT3 FAQ on the Epic Games Forums (thanks BeyondUnreal) indicates the UI in Unreal Tournament 3 is to undergo an overhaul:

Q: I am unhappy with the UI.
A: We're aware that the UI isn't perfect. We're working on numerous improvements and additions to the user interface that will be made available in future updates to UT3.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: um.. Nov 15, 2007, 10:59 Overon

It's the menus, the game gui, the server browser etc. The consolitis has been well documented with all the bitching on the epic forums.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: um.. Nov 15, 2007, 10:37 Morgan19

For me the ESC menus were worse than the nice tabbed/sectioned ones from past games (UT2k4, I think?), but you know what? I don't plan on playing the UI. I'm going to play the game.

Apart from going in to set up settings and controls the first time, the only other thing I need is the MP browser– which worked fine for me in the demo. So... If they make updates to it, fantastic. If not, not a big deal to me.

m19

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 10:38.

18. Re: um.. Nov 15, 2007, 09:56 Overon

The UI was big, ugly, and designed for consoles, with few options on on screen forcing you to flip in between slow menus.
And I'm not going to take anybody's word that it's going to be updated in the future. I will believe it when I see it. There are so many games that UT3 can wait.

The game needs improvements, less consolitis.

17. um.. Nov 15, 2007, 09:10 Tom

I thought the UI in the demo was pretty cool... I didn't have any trouble using it, and it was a little different/unique. Attention to detail seemed to be there. It was not the same boring menu structure that most of PC FPSs have.

I think the problem in this case is that some PC gamers are waaaay too quick to label things as consolish and therefore automatically bad. What, specifically, did you not like about the UI?

16. No subject Nov 15, 2007, 08:57 zirik

epic has no one but themselves to blame for being lazy and using .net technology for the user interface of UT3.

15. Re: ... Nov 15, 2007, 08:53 Morgan19

I just noticed that UT3 has been pushed back a week to the 23rd Nov. I didn't hear anything about it but when I checked all the sites today they all reported the same thing.

Everywhere I've checked still says Tuesday– are you sure you're not just looking at a Black Friday ad or something?

m19

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 08:53.

14. Re: ... Nov 15, 2007, 08:04 nin

I just noticed that UT3 has been pushed back a week to the 23rd Nov. I didn't hear anything about it but when I checked all the sites today they all reported the same thing.

It's still listed as shipping on the 19th, which is how it's been listed for awhile...

edit: darn quotes...

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu
This comment was edited on Nov 15, 08:04.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. ... Nov 15, 2007, 06:57 theyarecomingforyou

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

12. Re: Huh? Nov 15, 2007, 06:22 Optimaximal

You have to create an ONLINE account in order to save the progress in a Single Player game?

What's going on here?
It's the same with Gears of War for Windows. It's probably some hold-over from the XBL/PSN integration of the console versions.

11. I am unhappy with the.. Nov 15, 2007, 00:54 mOOzilla

.. game... will you fix that too?

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

10. Re: Nov 14, 2007, 23:07 Rseman

The UI in the demo was horrible and I doubt it's going to have changed any prior to shipping. It looked console, it suffered delays like a console. It sucked big hairy ones.

I have a lot of faith in Epic doing something about it, but just how much they're prepared to do is a worry until we see it. Consideringa bunch of old interviews you used to see where they spoke with Steve Polge(?) about how great the UI was and how it was designed to be basic and simple like a spreadsheet.... and then they give us the UT3 demo.

I've got the CE preordered anyway. With those intructional videos and all, like with UT2K4, I'd get all my fun and value out of that alone and a solid game on top is just gravy.

9. Re: Huh? Nov 14, 2007, 22:56 PHJF

"Single player game"?

My my my you're barking up the wrong tree.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Huh? Nov 14, 2007, 22:42 rjdriver

You have to create an ONLINE account in order to save the progress in a Single Player game?

What's going on here?

rjdriver,

http://www.bullseyecrosshairs.com

7. No subject Nov 14, 2007, 22:29 DangerDog

It’s not just about the aesthetics, it’s the lack of features that have most people feeling discouraged over the initial release.

I’d link you to a thread that was posted on the Epic forums titled “I am unhappy with the UI” where the OP intelligently and calmly discussed his dissatisfaction with the UI, but Epic deleted the thread.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 22:30.

6. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2007, 21:52 nin

gotta disagree nin. Epic has always been great about shipping a polished product and even better about supporting it . Hell, tweaks and fixes for 2k4 were still coming out up until a few months ago. From the sound of it, the UI is basically a problem of aesthetics and not a bug.

I'll agree with "support" Hump, but the UI on the demo felt like a straight console port. And I doubt they rewrote the thing from the time the beta hit to the time they went gold...

I'd love to be wrong on that, and it's still preordered, don't get me wrong. But I'm not hoping for much on the UI front, straight out of the box...

5. No subject Nov 14, 2007, 21:43 Hump

Translation: We're shipping it as is. We might fix it later, if we feel like it.

gotta disagree nin. Epic has always been great about shipping a polished product and even better about supporting it . Hell, tweaks and fixes for 2k4 were still coming out up until a few months ago. From the sound of it, the UI is basically a problem of aesthetics and not a bug.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.
This comment was edited on Nov 14, 21:44.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

4. ... Nov 14, 2007, 21:36 theyarecomingforyou

To be fair the game has long gone gold and the feedback came late in the day. Epic has a good track record with supporting the game, particularly in the early months, so for them to acknowledge a problem and announce improvements is good enough for me. If it was Valve I'd expect the changes in about 6 months, probably breaking something else (their favourite is the column preference in the server browser), and if it was EA I'd expect it to come in a $5 booster patch.

Let's just hope they do it in a timely manner... 2K still hasn't delivered with the Bioshock patch.

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

3. Re: ... Nov 14, 2007, 21:24 nin

Translation: We're shipping it as is. We might fix it later, if we feel like it.

2. UI gate 07 Nov 14, 2007, 20:23 DangerDog

Well, I wouldn’t expect it to be replaced but adding back in missing features would be nice.

1. ... Nov 14, 2007, 20:08 theyarecomingforyou

Good. I've preordered the game already (the demo was a blast) but the interface was one of the things that was bugging me. There are unnecessary confimation screens when setting up games, plus the text expands on the main menu as you go towards it. The interface was quite consolised, which goes against the whole "each platform has been optimised for the hardware / userbase" statement they've been putting out.

It's good to hear that the developers are actually listening to the community and acting so quickly... hopefully the changes will address the issues I have mentioned.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo