Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

ATARI Ceases Game Development

Atari CEO Resigns as Company Withdraws from Production has word that David Pierce has stepped down from his position as CEO of the troubled gaming company, which has also announced its exit from the production end of the business. Here's a bit:

Amidst concerns about the company's lack of funds and ability to continue its business, Atari officials announced today that the publisher will "re-focus its operations on publishing and distribution in North America, completing its withdrawal from the production business."

According to the release, Atari's operations going forward "will involve title acquisition, sales and marketing, and physical distribution of products from [Infogrames] IESA, its 51% shareholder, and other selected partners."

Atari has agreed in principle to terminate its Production Services Agreement with IESA in the near future. The company is planning to transfer certain employees and contract other staff on a project basis for a limited period of time. Unfortunately for Atari's employees, this restructuring initiative will also reduce the company's current workforce "in order to re-align the Company's cost structure with its on-going business base."

Along with the withdrawal from production, Atari CEO David Pierce has also announced his resignation. Curtis G. Solsvig III, Chief Restructuring Officer, has been appointed interim CEO and will assume Pierce's responsibilities for now. Atari said that an executive search for a new CEO has already been started.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. No subject Nov 14, 2007, 11:41 dryden555

Since atari is essentially infogrammes, no great loss. Witcher wasnt bad but I suspect Atari was strictly the publisher on that game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. No subject Nov 14, 2007, 10:53 xXBatmanXx

This sucks. Not even for the fact that it is only "the name", but come on, we all have lived with and grew with the "Atari" name in our homes....

Even if it is "just a name" it is a symbol, that stands for something awesome.

Supporter of the Cell Phone Jamming movement.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: The Witcher Nov 14, 2007, 08:41 Eldaron Imotholin

I dunno.. I like the Witcher but that fantasy-world lacks fantasy, imo. I prefer NWN more.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

15. The Witcher Nov 14, 2007, 08:13 Shok

I hope The Witcher doesn't lose support because of this. It's the best RPG this year for sure.

14. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2007, 08:11 Parallax Abstraction

As long as Atari has the D&D license (and it will only until it expires and comes up for bid again at which time they'll never be able to retain it), they can continue to release games under it. This announcement just means that it won't be producing any more games itself but it could still technically hire a developer to make a D&D game for them (which is what they did with NWN2 and D&D Tactics.) This is just the start of their death march though. They've put out so many bad games in the last few years and have such a bad reputation that the couple of good games they put out this year like the NWN2 Expansion and The Witcher aren't likely to sell and very soon, they won't be able to afford to publish any titles that aren't self-funded by the developers (and most of those will go somewhere else that knows how to market a game.) It's really a shame that Atari is the best CD Projekt Red could find to release The Witcher as its a great game that would probably do a lot better if it was put out by almost anyone else.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Help Fix The Broken Xbox Live Marketplace: http://brokenxblm.blogspot.com

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

13. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2007, 06:10 selection7

To CJParker,

Not many would agree with you that one of the all time classic and best known game developers ever (Atari) was looked on as a loser name brand. The downfall of Atari was a result of poor third party software...Atari the system and Atari the developer were always hightly regarded. Infogrames, however, was not well-regarded, and the name coopting was done on purpose to gain popularity and esteem without actually doing anything of substance.

PS. I hate it when ignorant people incorrectly flame someone else for their ignorance. It means you're rude, a know-it-all, AND ignorant to boot.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 06:11.

12. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2007, 05:09 Eldaron Imotholin

What will happen with the D&D license? Will NWN 2 suffer? I'd love to see new expansion packs! Mask of the Betrayer is simply fantastic!

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 05:09.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

11. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2007, 05:02 CJ_Parker

Hey, Infogrames has a tradition of ruining names to uphold. They didn't just start out ruining a classic gamesmaker like Atari...

Wow, you're clueless and retarded. Atari had been looong dead before Infogrames picked up the brand from Hasbro. Atari had a loser image so no one really wanted to touch the brand until Infogrames came along and got their paws on the name by means of acquiring Hasbro Interactive. Infogrames subsequently replaced the Infogrames brand with the Atari brand (what was basically a simple renaming of the games division). Please get a clue before puking out more bullshit. kthx.

10. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2007, 04:58 Briosafreak

So what will happen to the D&D license?  
http://fallout3.wordpress.com/

9. No subject Nov 14, 2007, 01:28 Satertek

I hear they're looking to buy Interplay

8. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2007, 00:37 Ray Marden

Well, it is not like this has not happened before.

In all reality, "Atari" has not been Atari for a number of years and a number of iterations.
Thanks for the memories, Atari 2600!
Thinking it is a name and only a name,
Ray

-----
I watched Transformers on DVD.
It made me feel stupid. I worry about humanity.
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

7. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 23:50 verybad

Hey, Infogrames has a tradition of ruining names to uphold. They didn't just start out ruining a classic gamesmaker like Atari, they started out by ruining their own name first!

Maybe they'll sell the name and whatever rights it has attached to pay off some of their debtors *shrugs* Don't care at this point as the Atari name is, as you mentioned, ruined.

6. 130xe? Nov 13, 2007, 23:43 LittleMe

So does this mean that they will not be bringing back the 130xe? Maybe at least they could put a few of those brown 800's and 810's together or at least open source it. Bye Atari, once again.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

5. Re: Atari=Interplay? Nov 13, 2007, 22:55 >U

So within the next couple of years will Atari be closing its doors? =(
Change that from "years" to "months," and you've got it right.

4. Atari=Interplay? Nov 13, 2007, 22:15 Techie714

So within the next couple of years will Atari be closing its doors? =(

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

3. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 22:03 Pretzel

Ah, first Time Warner and then Jack Tramiel worked on ruining the Atari name. Infogrames is just the latest in a long line of ruiners.

2. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 21:43 nin

Thanks for ruining the Atari name, Infogrames.

Got that fucking right.

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. No subject Nov 13, 2007, 21:38 Elf Shot The Food

Thanks for ruining the Atari name, Infogrames.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo