Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty 4 Steam and Multiplayer Issues

Call of Duty series area on the Steam Users Forums is abuzz with users steamed over their inability to run the just-launched Steam edition of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (thanks Kevin). There are suggestions offered by Valve as well as users on how to workaround these issues, but at this time there are quite a number of users who have not been able to solve their problems. On a related note, Shacknews reports problems with online play in the shooter, in particular with the PS3 edition, offering a possible workaround for PC users and saying Infinity Ward is working on these issues.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: No subject Nov 15, 2007, 09:17 zirik

There's a point where enough similarities add up to imply the source of the engine, in terms of data structures, organization, and so on. If you read my other posts, you'd notice that I came to the conclusion with more than just a \.

you insist and you shall receive. here is a link where infinity ward's michael boon reminds gamers that the game engine for cod4 started with the one they scratch built for cod2.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7911&Itemid=50&limit=1&limitstart=1

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2007, 12:40 Kash

Yeah, and Valve still uses impulse 101 but that doesn't mean it's Quake 1.

Look, people keep the same commands and such because it's what people are USED to. You really think the implementation of something like weaponext is important in the overall context of a game? Why would you care they used the same commands? Should they change stuff up just because they can?

They still use a heavily modified radiant as a level editor, too - doesn't mean the engine hasn't been completely rewritten, just that that is what their level designers already knew.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 12:42.

35. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2007, 01:49 Jeraxle

They claimed HL2 was built from scratch, but we all found out that was a lie.

Much like the cake...

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

34. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 23:09 Morgan19

I repeat does NOT require the pile of Steam except for multiplayer

Eh? The boxed version doesn't need Steam at all, even for MP...

m19

33. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 15:07 sponge

that only shows the front end of the interface. it doesnt mean they are still using id tech in the code. using \ is not exclusive to id software unless they patented its use.

There's a point where enough similarities add up to imply the source of the engine, in terms of data structures, organization, and so on. If you read my other posts, you'd notice that I came to the conclusion with more than just a \.

They claimed HL2 was built from scratch, but we all found out that was a lie.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 15:08.

32. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 13:23 Bhruic

I don't find that unbelievable at all.

That's fine if you are talking about distance shooting. But once you've hit close-quarters combat, sniping is extremely ineffective.

31. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 12:09 MJ

I bought my copy at Best Buy, and it does NOT... I repeat does NOT require the pile of Steam except for multiplayer... unlike HL2. I skipped HL2 for the very same reason. If Steam were required for playing everything, I'd quit playing anything.

30. MP issues? Nov 13, 2007, 10:24 kimbambaman

The only issue I had was when I tried to run CoD4 from Steam the first time, nothing happened. I did a verify integrity on it, it checked the files, and then ran just fine after that. The MP on CoD4 is just amazing, I'm having a blast. The SP campaign is quite impressive also.

"Commandment number one: Shut the hell up!"-Moses Griffin,Family Guy

"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

29. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 09:59 Fibrocyte

Is there anyway to get this game without Steam? I refused to buy HL2 because of Steam.

Nope! You're screwed. In fact, in the near future, all games for the PC will be available ONLY via steam. Sure, you can buy the box in the store, but that's all it'll be: a box. You'll have to bring the box home, open it, and type a code into Steam to access your game. Also, the most recent bioses (biosii?) being released will also require a SteamID to boot your computer; so if you don't like steam, don't plan on upgrading your PC. Also, you can't shower without steam.

28. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 09:55 Orgnamer

Is there anyway to get this game without Steam? I refused to buy HL2 because of Steam.  
org.user4@gbec.org

27. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 09:15 Jeraxle

The sniper one was great in the beginning. Then you get to the end, and it's 2 guys holding off 50+ guys, plus dogs, while one of them is wounded. Talk about unbelievable.

I don't find that unbelievable at all. A good sniping team can hold down a company sized enemy for a long period of time. Take Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock for example. He and his spotter held down a company sized force (65+ people) of North Vietnamese for over two days. Basic concept of sniping, if they show a body-part, shoot it. Then move and repeat.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 09:16.

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

26. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 08:20 Midnight

I had trouble with sniping too, but after some practice got the hang of it. You absolutely must hold your breath, and unlike CoD2 where doing so immediately 100% accurate, you need to wait a few seconds for your aim to steady. Once you've held your breath for more than a few seconds, your shots become much more accurate (though some rifles are more accurate than others), and you'll be scoring headshots from the other end of the map. The 'Ironlungs' perk is quite useufl, as it substantially icnreases the amount of time you can hold your lungs for.

Re: "Matyrdom" - I agree that it's annoying, but in my experience not that many players choose it. There are other valuable perks which go in that slot, and I find that the smart players choose Iron Lungs, Last Stand or (my personal favourite) Deep impact.

http://www.crimsondark.com

25. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 08:09 zirik

Also hit detection BLOWS.

i noticed that too. very annoying especially when someone could use the shotgun like a pistol from medium range. the bullet spread is very narrow for a shotgun. but i never had any of the network connection problems. another thing i dont like is their copy protection scheme. it affected the boot time of windows while the game disk is inserted on the dvd drive. takes three times the amount i normally wait for the desktop to appear. when i checked the event viewer there were literally dozens of entries regarding bad blocks on the game disk.

24. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 08:02 zirik

There are still substantial parts of Q3 code within the game. It still has several undeniable characteristics that it is. (I also noticed they use the weapnext bind--in a game with only two weapons--as another example)

I also noticed that the weapon stats are stored in a \ delimited format, something that too was common with Quake3 info strings.

that only shows the front end of the interface. it doesnt mean they are still using id tech in the code. using \ is not exclusive to id software unless they patented its use.

23. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 07:38 MJ

This is why I'd never, ever touch anything connected to Steam, again. I've been playing my retail copy of COD4 since last week without one single problem. Steam sux donkeys.

22. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 07:24 Bhruic

It wasn't a bad game, but I really don't get all these "game of the year" comments. There's nothing inherently wrong with a respawn system, but they used it to death. All it does is encourage (if not force) Rambo like behaviour in order to advance. The AI tends to the dumb, especially the friendly one. They often end up targeting the guy on the other side of the field that they can't hit, and ignore the guy walking up to flank you. Or they'll insist on walking into your LOF and just sitting there. Or they'll not follow when you have to do your mandated Rambo moves.

And then there's the weird plot points. What exactly was the point in returning us to the US guy just so he could crawl out of the chopper and die? And what brilliant idea was it to kill your character in the first place? Sure you have 2 (main ones, anyway), but killing one pointlessly like that is somewhat disconcerting. I know it's war, and people die and all that, but still.

Furthermore, the ended up ruining some of the better missions they did have. The sniper one was great in the beginning. Then you get to the end, and it's 2 guys holding off 50+ guys, plus dogs, while one of them is wounded. Talk about unbelievable. Oh, and how many times did my character need to end up "dazed" while some important plot point was taking place?

Now it's going to seem like I'm ragging on the game, since all I'm talking about are negatives. Fact is, I did like the game. It was fun. It was also frustrating at times. I really can't see it qualifying as GOTY, especially considering how short the SP campaign was. A good game, but not, imo, a great one.

21. ... Nov 13, 2007, 07:12 theyarecomingforyou

That 'Quake Family Tree' diagram is pretty much worthless because it includes dozens of games that didn't ever make it to retail. The concept's good but that's all that can really be said of it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

20. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 06:44 aldo_14

the call of duty franchise stopped using quake engine (aka id tech) since cod2. they even mentioned it on an issue of pc gamer when cod2 was featured on the front cover. the graphics engine is now made in-house if i remember correctly. but it definitely is not based on any of the id tech graphics engine.

I thought the CoD series had only ever really used the Quake 3 engine for the file system (writing a new rendered for CoD), anyways?

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

19. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 05:05 sponge

but it definitely is not based on any of the id tech graphics engine.

That I agree with. However, it wouldn't be the graphics engine that would cause problem on Steam-- it would be a combination of the CD Key auth system, and PunkBuster. An engine is far more than it's graphics, however.

Based on the evidence I've seen, while they may have considered themselves as no longer on the Q3 engine, that is without a doubt an exaggeration. There are still substantial parts of Q3 code within the game. It still has several undeniable characteristics that it is. (I also noticed they use the weapnext bind--in a game with only two weapons--as another example)

I also noticed that the weapon stats are stored in a \ delimited format, something that too was common with Quake3 info strings.

18. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 04:12 Brubold

I've been playing COD4 this evening and it's fun but it has its issues. There's an unlock skill that automatically causes you to drop a nade when you die and apparently EVERYONE that unlocks it uses it. It adds to the nade spam and was a horrible idea on the Dev's part.

Also hit detection BLOWS. You make a big deal that I can shoot through thin wood and walls but I can't shoot a sniper rifle through the big holes in the lattice work on the balcony I'm on!?! I also managed to shoot a guy three times through the torso with the same sniper rifle and it never registered a hit. He was practically standing still and my ping to the server was less than 80. It looks like COD2's hit detection was carried over...just...sheesh.

Also I had to work through two screwups installing the game. The first was a bug that caused 1/3 of the game not to DL so I had to switch the language via Steam to German and then back to English to force it to load properly. Then Punkbuster was hosed and I had to fix that as well.

Still it will be a fun thing to play when I'm not in the mood for TF2.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo