Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hellgate: London Billing Follow-up

IncGamers relates a post from the Hellgate: London forums from Flagship saying they've cleared up their credit card issues (story) after burning some midnight oil, saying paybacks have been arranged for the approximately 3% of their subscribers that were overcharged. They go on to share a forum post on what the future holds for the action/RPG:

Dear Customers,

We realize many of you are experiencing a variety of problems. We at Flagship and Ping0 are working hard to address these issues.

Our current top priorities are:

* Resolving any remaining problems related to billing and subscriptions.
* Fixing two known bugs which cause players to sometimes lose items (one related to dual focus/dual melee, and one related to loading issues).
* Making improvements to memory usage in order to reduce "Memory Exhausted" crashes.
* Fixing a known issue with the user interface which causes the application to lock up intermittently.* An issue which occasionally prevents characters from being able to load or switch instances.
* General chat interface improvements. (Many improvements are in the works).
* Random disconnects and lag.
* Allowing higher resolution textures and models for other players.
* Various known problems with being able to continue interrupted side quests.
* Remnant quest items not getting destroyed and "clogging" up inventory.
* Continued problems with saving / loading Engineer Drone items.
* Invisible party members.
* The nanoforge not correctly improving rare and better armors.
* Getting stuck on collision.

Some of these are issues which will be fixed as soon as possible and go live in upcoming patches, some will be in our upcoming content patch, and others are issues on which we will make gradual improvements to on a continuous basis.

Of course we also have a more extensive bug list as well as lot of general improvements and new content in the works. Everyone here is working full-time to support Hellgate. We appreciate your patience.

-The Hellgate: London team

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: No subject Nov 10, 2007, 12:59 Prez

Holy Lame Arguments, Batman!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: No subject Nov 10, 2007, 12:41 g_mann

The people who bash the game , are people that can not run it.

STFU there is NOTHING blah about this game.Get a real computer and quit being so god damn bitter!

29. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2007, 19:06 Playdoh

subscriptions cover future content instead of having to buy a damn boxed expansion 3 times like Guild Wars

This argument is flawed. Let's assume for the sake of a good argument that Roper and Co. can churn out an expansion's worth of content in a 6 month period (this is a ridiculously short amount of time). Within that 6 months you would have forked over 60 dollars to Flagshit Studios for a larger stash, more character slots, and just maybe a slice of new content and some holiday trinkets. So 60 dollars for some features that aren't even worth 10 and some more content. Meanwhile a Guild Wars expansion costs 40 dollars plus you get to preview the content before you buy it. Which sounds like the better deal?

28. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2007, 16:17 Krovven

And we all know you get access to the same features in "free mode" that you get in other non-subscription games...

...oh wait, that's right, no we don't.

subscriptions cover future content instead of having to buy a damn boxed expansion 3 times like Guild Wars

Cheaper to buy 4 GW boxes at release time over 2 years $200, vs than $50 for Hellgate box then $240 for the same 2 year period for Hellgate, which doesn't guarantee you will even get the same amount of content, or any content at all, or that you might lose access to some or all of that content if you don't renew. But with GW it's always there, even if you quit for a year.

You keep giving the same arguments, even though that argument has already been previously proven wrong.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

27. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2007, 16:05 Grounded

yeah you are right, because we all know you have to subscribe to play this game

oh wait

no you dont

26. No subject Nov 9, 2007, 15:36 Omni

Are we suppose to clap Billy boy? I used to think that Bill Roper was one of the good guys but after the Hellgate subscriptions shit made me change my mind. Roper is just another EA sell out boy...

25. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2007, 14:49 ibm

ibm, everything comes down to opinion? Well some may think so. But take the reviews of The Witcher for instance. Most of the reviewers come across as if they didn't even play the game past Act I. Is that a thorough and honest review of a game?

Not to mention they list mostly praise yet give the game a low score? Nobody has said the game is perfect but the short comings are some of the same flaws in other titles which they gave near perfect scores to.

See what I did there?

Yes it looked like you were agreeing with me.

You asked - Are there any unbiased, honest reviews?
I answered - No.

24. No subject Nov 9, 2007, 13:49 zirik

that do to list looks like a beta test.

23. Done Nov 9, 2007, 10:44 Bone43

This is a bad time to try and sale a average game with lots of bugs not to mention there questionable subscriber fees, theres just to many good titles that are out now or just around the corner this ones done.

22. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2007, 10:24 MMORPGHoD

I use gamerankings.com, something similar to metacritic where you don't need to rely on a single review. It arrived at a similar score for Hellgate as well.

I like to see all the top PC games at the current time with their percentages in one top 10 list.

21. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2007, 09:50 Golem

Fibrocyte, here is a better place to get honest scores:

http://www.metacritic.com/

Just look at my two examples and you will understand.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/elderscrolls4oblivion

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/witcher

Great place to get the overall feel for game scores taking the existing media scores and gamer scores into account. My sarcasm below (or above depending on your settings) was a bit much. Forgive me.

20. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2007, 09:41 LemonJoose

I guess they spent too much time figuring out the optimal business model for screwing their customers and alienating their fanbase, instead of concentrating on programming a good, bug-free game. Now maybe they will no longer have any customers or fanbase. Funny how things work in a logical manner like that. LOL!

19. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2007, 09:38 MMORPGHoD

Man at this rate I say blue should be paid for constant Hellgate ads hehe.

Yea right, as much the california wildfires were an ad to build new homes in that area.

Can't even read their forum posts without registering because it's so anti-hellgate in there.

18. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2007, 09:36 Golem

ibm, everything comes down to opinion? Well some may think so. But take the reviews of The Witcher for instance. Most of the reviewers come across as if they didn't even play the game past Act I. Is that a thorough and honest review of a game?

Not to mention they list mostly praise yet give the game a low score? Nobody has said the game is perfect but the short comings are some of the same flaws in other titles which they gave near perfect scores to.

See what I did there?

17. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2007, 09:29 Fibrocyte

Is there any honest game site left? With a writer who has his feet on the ground? Who isn't kissing the ass of the big developers and/or slamming their competition with bullshit scores?

Of course there is: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation

16. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2007, 09:27 ibm

Is there any honest game site left? With a writer who has his feet on the ground? Who isn't kissing the ass of the big developers or slamming their competition with bullshit scores?

In your opinion you mean? See what I did there?

Anyway the short answer is no.

15. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2007, 09:20 Golem

"No doubt the game was rushed, and the launch was piss poorly executed. But anyone remember the launch of diablo? I could barely log in sporadically for a good 2-3 weeks. There were bugs, but they weren't published."

I remember it being less than stellar, yeah. Not to mention Diablo has never held a high rank on my Best Games Evar list. It was good but not as great as most people seem to remember it. And it seems a lot of people here still hold it up on a pedestal.

As far as Hellgate, I beta tested and after hearing about the spyware in the single-player I never installed it. So I will never know just how good or poor the game turned out. Just from the beta there was nothing there that grabbed me. Nothing there making me want to play more. The graphics were ok but the game-play was boring. The exploration kept me going for a couple hours but after I realized how monotonous the level design was I had no reason to continue on with so many other great games and betas I was/am into.

But for each his own. I would really like to hear a good honest review from somebody who is not bias and not a member of the gaming media since they seem to have their own bullshit agendas when writing reviews.

Is there any honest game site left? One that does in-depth reviews... sorry, Blue. With a writer who has his feet on the ground? Who isn't kissing the ass of the big developers and/or slamming their competition with bullshit scores?

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 09:29.

14. No subject Nov 9, 2007, 08:42 DanL

Well gotta give them credit for being honest and specific. Most first round patches will target bugs such as these. Its normal. But most devs would just send out a vague description of what they're fixing, and try to sweep the glaring problems like mem leaks under the rug.

No doubt the game was rushed, and the launch was piss poorly executed. But anyone remember the launch of diablo? I could barely log in sporadically for a good 2-3 weeks. There were bugs, but they weren't published.

13. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2007, 08:30 Fibrocyte

Making improvements to memory usage in order to reduce "Memory Exhausted" crashes.

The goal is not to eliminate the Memory Exhausted crashes... just reduce them.

They must have some incredibly horrible programmers. There are numerous tools out there to detect coding mistakes which cause memory leaks, etc... PLUS, in the small chance that the tools don't prove useful (I question whether they've even tried such techniques), the company need just hire a programming consultant who specializes in these things. Regardless of the method they chose, the memleaks should have been TOP priority and resolved long ago. Jerks.

12. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2007, 08:13 Overon

These hellgate london threads are a conspiracy...

Just read that list of things to fix. Doesn't that conclusively prove the game was rushed out in time for the christmas buying season. Even the most bottom of the barrel publishers/developers would not have shipped a game in this state? Well okay maybe a few others would.
This comment was edited on Nov 9, 08:16.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo