Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - PC Gears of War

Microsoft Game Studios announces the PC edition of Gears of War is shipping, and the brawny third-person shooter should be appearing on store shelves worldwide this week:

Microsoft Game Studios announced today that the eagerly-awaited “Gears of War” for Windows (Windows XP/Windows Vista) has shipped to retailers worldwide and will be in stores this week. After launching exclusively for the Xbox 360 last November, “Gears of War” is now bringing the fight to Windows, featuring five new campaigns, new multiplayer modes and full Games for Windows – LIVE support for online multiplayer gameplay sessions.

With the Xbox 360 version of the game selling more than 4 million copies to date, “Gears of War” has been lauded by critics for its gripping campaign and fast-paced multiplayer action. Windows gamers can look forward to the “Gears of War” experience for the very first time, and will get to choose between doing battle via mouse and keyboard, or using the Windows-enabled Xbox 360 controller. From renowned developer Epic Games, “Gears of War” for Windows will engage gamers in hyper-realistic combat, allowing players to fight for survival against the Locust Horde, a nightmarish race of creatures that surface from the bowels of the planet.

In addition to retaining all of the content from its Xbox 360 counterpart and all previously released downloadable content (seven multiplayer maps and the Annex game mode), “Gears of War” for Windows will feature exciting original content, all-new Achievements to unlock and ultra-high resolution visuals, including support for DirectX 10. Five new campaign chapters expand upon the riveting story (including an epic battle with the fearsome Brumak), and the action-packed multiplayer offering is bolstered with three exclusive multiplayer maps, a “King of the Hill” game type and Games for Windows – LIVE support to deliver online matchmaking for LIVE members. A new game editor will allow users to develop an unlimited number of user-created levels with complete access to the Unreal® Engine 3 Editor.

Players can get their hands on “Gears of War” for Windows for the estimated retail price of $49.99 in the U.S. “Gears of War” for Windows is rated “M” for mature audiences ages 17 years and older. For more information, please visit http://gearsofwar.com/news/.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Am I The Only One Who Likes This Game??? Nov 8, 2007, 20:34 MrPr3f3ct

I do not own a console (Strictly PC in this house) so I never played the 360 version of this. I bought it and I gotta' say I'm enjoying it. The graphics look good, the gameplay is simple, yet effective. The score is well done (OK, the voice acting and script is a bit juvenile) and makes the action a bit more theatrical. I play a LOT of shooters and I'm kind of enjoying the recent influx of 3rd person shooters even if they are just console ports.

Granted, this game is not what the hype portrayed it to be, but really, what game EVER lives up to the hype? Look at Crysis... That game is getting perfect 10s from review sites and it's not even released yet. The demo runs like crap on any system that doesn't have a Quad Core CPU and a $500 Video card. At least GoW looks and plays acceptably on older systems.

Port, schmort, the game is fun.....

Some people are like Slinkys. Not really good for anything, but you just can't help but giggle when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. No subject Nov 7, 2007, 19:44 xXBatmanXx

So many games - so little time!

With the sheer number of them, I can wait on this one til after x-mas or a gogamer bargain.

Supporter of the Cell Phone Jamming movement.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

47. Re: on Crack are we? Nov 7, 2007, 18:39 zirik

Nuh uh, my game has better grafix. ur all stoopid.

love it when pea brain here jumps in without reading the entire thread.

46. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2007, 13:45 Ray Marden

Not so much these days - everybody has been waiting for the Christmas clusterf...er...rush.

World of Warcraft is the core of my current gaming. Additionally, I do play through The Orange Box for various reasons (TF2, Portal achievements, Ep2 commentary.)

Rotting on my desktop are Quake 4 (finally bought it for $15; I don't reall like it, but will play through it one day,) S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (hop in, do one of the random missions), and Tomb Raider Anniversary (need to listen to the commentary on the last half of the game.)

Otherwise, as repeatedly noted, I will be picking up Super Mario Galaxy and Crysis next week. I am interested in Mass Effect, but I will relegate that to being a Christmas gift - I know Crysis will keep me plenty busy and, in all reality, I still hate the idea of paying $60 for a console game.

Long-term interests are Alan Wake, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Spore, Fallout 3, Project Offset, Mario Kart Wii, Turok, Too Human: Part 1, Grand Theft Auto IV, Assassins Creed (PC,) Condemned 2: Bloodshot, Left 4 Dead, etc.
Duke Nukem Forever, too. STFU!
Curious to see how Nights: Journey of Dreams fares,
Ray

-----
I watched Transformers on DVD.
It made me feel stupid. I worry about humanity.
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

45. Re: on Crack are we? Nov 7, 2007, 13:37 Bundy

I completely disagree. I don't know what settings you used for Crysis but I can run it on Very High for all settings and it is noticeably better looking than QW. Which I didn't find impressive looking at all, at its highest settings.

44. Re: on Crack are we? Nov 7, 2007, 12:05 nin

ears of war sucks because its only mentionable feature, the cover system, was done at the same time and in better fashion in R6 Vegas

That was THE EXACT reason why I stopped playing GOW...

Thank you! Glad to know it wasn't just me...

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

43. Re: on Crack are we? Nov 7, 2007, 12:01 PHJF

Nuh uh, my game has better grafix. ur all stoopid.

shut the fuck up, gears of war sucks because its only mentionable feature, the cover system, was done at the same time and in better fashion in R6 Vegas. It has shitty guns. It has shitty enemies. It's the worlds shortest game ever in the history of all games. The levels are narrower than the god damned edge of a post it note. It has grossly immature voice overs including the man i hate the most john dimaggio (bender is the worst character on futurama. all voices should just be done by billy west.)

oh, and the journalist camera. I will say i liked the journalist camera.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

42. Re: on Crack are we? Nov 7, 2007, 10:27 zirik

I have GoW on 360. And the PC demo of Crysis craps all over Gears from great heights.

was not impressed with the graphics on crysis. it was not that great of a leap from any other games that came out recently on the pc. even quake wars looks good at highest settings when compared to the dx10 crysis. gears of war has some pretty good effects especially the part where you were driving the apc along the deserted highway at night. but being crapped all over by crysis? hardly. crysis looks good but it plays like crap. the demo shows no difference in difficulty between the easy mode and the delta mode thanks to the cloak feature of the nano-suit.

41. The problem is... Nov 7, 2007, 10:20 necrosis

...that we are PC gamers. No console game has really done anything groundbreaking that a PC game hasent done YEARS ago.

So when a "ZOMG" console game finally comes out on PC it has 2 things against it.

1) Its not "ZOMG" because of what I said above. It does nothing new that we havent seen 100 times over already years ago.

2) #1 + 1 year (or more). Its now a year or more after its console launch so now its REALLY OLD hat (in computer years).

Its like all the hype over Halo... IMHO its just another FPS game. I never understood the rabid love for this game and the insane reviews it was getting. I feel that if Halo came out on PC first it would have flopped as a really crappy Doom clone because thats how I saw it even at launch. Only Halo game that actually caught my attention was 3. The levels and environment at least looked a bit more dynamic.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 10:22.

40. on Crack are we? Nov 7, 2007, 09:50 Shataan

"it can compete graphically with crysis."

I have GoW on 360. And the PC demo of Crysis craps all over Gears from great heights. Personally Gears was a wasted effort imho. Ok for console kiddies in that it was created on and for the consoles. But wasted on PC. Cause, alot MORE could have been done had it been done for PC in the 1st place. Now all ya got is a..... port.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 09:51.

39. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2007, 09:36 4D-Boxing

Sempai,

You do not need to pay to play online..you can get the free silver memebership thing. You pay for the gold to get matchmaking & tracking od multiplayer achievements.

38. No subject Nov 7, 2007, 08:32 Theo

Ray out of interest , what the heck are yo uplaying atm? only reason i ask is i see you flame alot, but ive not figured what games you are playing.  

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

37. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2007, 07:24 Brainp0wa

Ug, why do you people have to bring up such bad memories for me all the time?!?! Its bad enough that yall mention over and over how the Tribes franchise is dead and now you bring up Deus Ex too?!?!?!? While yer at it, why don't you just give me a nice papercut and pour lemon juice on it?

Played GOW on the 360 and I can see how it would be only so-so as a port. I wouldn't pay full price for it on PC, that's for sure.

36. No subject Nov 7, 2007, 07:23 Optimaximal

According to PCZone's review, the added chapters jarr with the original content because they have larger open landscapes, multiple paths to your goal, a ramped difficulty level because of the improved accurate control scheme and less scripting.
Epic obviously didn't have the time nor manpower to rework the entire game, so this is unsurprising, but it shows that they at least tried to cater to the PC strengths where they could.

OFC, I aint buying without a supremely impressive demo and even then, not until its sub-£20. I got bitten by Halo and I aint falling for that again.

35. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2007, 07:13 Kevlar

Jonphan, isn't that a little Freudian for 2:37 in the AM?

34. No subject Nov 7, 2007, 07:09 Ledge

"it can compete graphically with crysis"

and thats about all.

33. No subject Nov 7, 2007, 06:24 zirik

i played this game on the 360. it was fun. the real time 3d cut scenes are amazing. it can compete graphically with crysis. i look forward to owning it on the pc. i hope they did not fuckup the port.

32. No subject Nov 7, 2007, 06:00 KilrathiAce

Coop is where its at.

Oh and this have coop lan.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

31. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2007, 04:29 Ventura

Not to mention they didn't cut out the rarely seen COOP play that makes the game so fun. Why don't you guys give it a break and stop being so fuckin' negative all the time.

You said it yourself - rarely seen coop play. PC gamers have had watered down, crap ports of old console shooters for a while now. The only reason you mentioned coop specificially is because it's such a surprise it got left in this time.

I don't know, maybe GoW is a good port. Maybe it's got more content, and maybe it's well polished. But what with titles like Crysis due soon, I think most pc gamers could be forgiven for looking the other way.

30. UT3 == GoW:XMP Nov 7, 2007, 04:06 ViRGE

After having seen Gears of War on a PC, I finally get why UT3 plays and feels like it does. UT3 doesn't feel like any past UT game because for better or worse, it's not really UT. It's Gears of War: Expanded Multiplayer. All of UT3's nuances are those of Gears of War.

I'm not sure I like this, although it certainly makes Epic calling themselves "the studio that made Gears of War" in their UT3 ads more meaningful.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo