Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Added European Duty on Steam Call of Duty 4

Gaming-Resources.com has word that the Steam edition of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare carries a $49.95 price tag in the US and a $69.95 MSRP for European customers (thanks Voodoo Extreme). They contacted Valve to ask about this and learned that these prices are set by the publisher, meaning Activision is responsible for this.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2007, 15:30 Hazard

Activision is jacking up its game prices to $70 for European customers so that it will still get around 50 euros from them for its games.

I see the misunderstanding here. I though the MSRP was 70 EUR, but apparently it's 70 USD. With 70 USD you are correct of course.

I find it a little strange to specify a european price in USD, though. But unless it's a typo you are correct.

Fully automatic backups with Ocster Backup Pro 3
http://www.ocster.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2007, 09:16 Matchstick

I hope everyone's sake no-one does actually pay these prices since if they can get away with charging more than store RRP for a product that's released later in one market, you can be damn sure they'll try doing it elsewhere...

10. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2007, 08:55 >U

If that's the case why are Activision only charging $49.95 in some parts of Europe like Cyprus and Estonia
It's the same reason why Valve is charging less for the Orange Box in Thailand and Russia. These game companies are charging what they think the local populations will pay, and game prices are so inflated in relation to the cost of production that they can do that and still make money.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 08:56.

9. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2007, 08:50 Matchstick

So, Activision is jacking up its game prices to $70 for European customers so that it will still get around 50 euros from them for its games.

If that's the case why are Activision only charging $49.95 in some parts of Europe like Cyprus and Estonia ?

It's price gouging, pure and simple and I can't think of a better way piss off your customer and encourage them to go and download illegal copies instead.

8. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2007, 08:30 >U

So if activision were compensating for the weak dollar then the european price would have to be less than the US price.
No, you have it backwards with regards to business. Activision used to get around 50 euros for its $50 games. Now with the dollar dropping to all-time lows, the euro is worth 40% more than the dollar. So, Activision is jacking up its game prices to $70 for European customers so that it will still get around 50 euros from them for its games.

7. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2007, 08:22 >U

I see now why Valve was deactivating games being played from 'incorrect' regions recently.
Exactly and with the dollar really being in the toilet, you are probably going to start seeing a lot more of that from Valve and others on Steam to prevent Europeans from buying cheap U.S. copies of games.

The good news for Europeans is that they can still import traditional U.S. games sold on physical media and save money while not being locked out of their games when they play them in Europe.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 08:36.

6. Re: Publisher sets price Nov 7, 2007, 08:17 >U

How many times have I said this Riley? Your response was always, 'Valve has some say...blah blah'.
No, idiot, as usual you missed my point. My point was and is that Valve affects how low the price of a third-party game on Steam can be because Valve gets a significant cut of that price, e.g. in some cases it's 50%. If Valve's cut were less, the third-party developer or publisher could charge less. That doesn't mean they will, but it certainly gives them more room to do so while still making as much margin as they get from retail. That's one reason why the Sam & Max games are less expensive to buy direct from Telltale instead of through Steam.

Here Activision is simply gouging European Steam customers to justify the high prices Activision is charging EU retailers for boxed copies of the game.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 08:51.

5. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2007, 06:11 Hazard

Activision are simply trying to compensate for the weak dollar

The weak dollar means that a Euro is worth more than a dollar. So if activision were compensating for the weak dollar then the european price would have to be less than the US price.

In fact, if you compensate for the weak dollar then the european price should be about 35 EUR.

Or the other way round: the EUR price would translate to about 100 USD!

Fully automatic backups with Ocster Backup Pro 3
http://www.ocster.com

4. No subject Nov 7, 2007, 05:52 Shadowcat

I see now why Valve was deactivating games being played from 'incorrect' regions recently.

FFS. Region-locking is one of the most retarded aspects of console gaming. Anyone involved in enabling this 'feature' for PC games is a total wanker, plain and simple.

3. No subject Nov 7, 2007, 04:07 Optimaximal

Activision are simply trying to compensate for the weak dollar and brilliant VFM Steam offers european users. Shame it fucks us EU customers over in the process...

Ahh well, now the only reason to purchase it over Steam is for the multiplayer match making - does it even use Steam? I'll just wait till it drops below 20 at retail. After all, an 11 hour single player campaign and half-baked console-focused multiplayer for over 30? Nuh-uh

2. ... Nov 6, 2007, 23:03 theyarecomingforyou

I noticed this myself earlier. It is absolutely ridiculous that the game is $20 more expensive here - with tax it works out as $82. FOR FUCK'S SAKE!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

1. Publisher sets price Nov 6, 2007, 22:56 Krovven

They contacted Valve to ask about this and learned that these prices are set by the publisher, meaning Activision is responsible for this.

How many times have I said this Riley? Your response was always, 'Valve has some say...blah blah'.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo