Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elder Scrolls Online?

Voodoo Extreme has dug up the fact that Bethesda Softworks parent company ZeniMax Media has registered the domain elderscrollsonline.com. This combines with the recent formation of the MMO-focused ZeniMax Online Studios to offer a pretty strong suggestion that an Elder Scrolls MMOG is in the works.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Oh come on! Jun 14, 2008, 07:28 the

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 9, 2009, 09:02.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Oh come on! Nov 3, 2007, 02:46 Jerykk

My guess is they have this and a Fallout Online or (FOOL) game in the works also....

Actually, it would be FOO, as "O" is used as an acronym for Online, not "OL".

18. Re: Oh come on! Nov 2, 2007, 20:01 Golem

My guess is they have this and a Fallout Online or (FOOL) game in the works also.... since they already know Herve (Interplay) can't get his/their Fallout MMOG off the ground because only a complete idiot would lend that man/company millions to develop a Fallout MMOG game.

Oblivious Online sounds even more boring than the single-player was.

Unless they hire Blizzard or Turbine to make it....

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 20:02.

17. Re: Oh come on! Nov 2, 2007, 12:12 Overon

With every game bethesda does, they never quite finish it by supporting it properly. They are like the EA of developers. They ship it, and then wait 6 months for a patch and then never touch it again and let the mod community fix and make things better. What a great business model.

Bethesda has no experience with MMO's and their games tend to be pretty shallow. Having the same NPC duplicated 30 times is shallow. Having a huge world that is generic looking and having a dungeon look like every the 30 dungeons before it, is not quality, it's quantity and it's shallow.

Plus let's not forget the horse armor for 2.99
This comment was edited on Nov 2, 12:14.

16. Re: Oh come on! Nov 2, 2007, 10:59 Acleacius

Oh, joy I can hardly wait, patches every 6 months to a year.

Now, not only will we get a unfinished, poorly implemented and over hyped MMOG, there will be one "paying customers" are required to fix, with mods before it's even playable!

You say incompetent, we say bethesda!

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succesion of violent images.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

15. Oh come on! Nov 2, 2007, 09:05 Toebot

Like everyone didn't see this coming. PC gaming: MMO's and shitty console ports. Learn to love it!

14. Re: No subject Nov 2, 2007, 08:43 Eraserhead

This is sort of inevitable but doesn't interest me in the slightest. The only way it would work for me is if they carried on with the single player games as normal while a whole different team did the online rubbish. But then, there ain't as much money in single player RPGs any more, so that probably won't happen. Ho hum.

13. Re: No subject Nov 2, 2007, 08:22 ColoradoHoudini

I kinda prefer the single player idea for this game.

12. Re: No subject Nov 2, 2007, 06:43 ibm

Are there any games for people who just want to play an RPG with a few friends? (This is both a rhetorical and serious question, heh)

Baldurs Gate, NWN 1 + 2?

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 06:44.

11. Re: To quote the Blue's nerds: Nov 2, 2007, 05:37 shinchan0s

Yeah, Icewind freaking nailed it. I mean we're talking roadside puddle deep when it comes to Oblivion. Seriously, what's the difference? They might as well go all the way with it.

10. Re: To quote the Blue's nerds: Nov 2, 2007, 00:05 Fion

Lol it has always 'felt' very MMOG-ish. Tell ya though if it's based off Oblivion it'll sell HUGE. It'll be a bore-fest that'll probably be completely dumbed down, have little real choice, little real complexity, but it'll be HUGE.

9. To quote the Blue's nerds: "Pass" Nov 1, 2007, 23:43 Icewind

Well, the ES series has always been a very bland, typical, boring affair...it actually FELT like an offline MMO...and even other fans (I know, I'm a fan of it but hate it, go fig) of the series have agreed me with on this in private away from the slavering fanboys.

The ES series isn't looking good. With Arena it was a revolutionary idea, from then on each game kept getting worse and worse. To me, TES4 was barely passable as an RPG. I beat it twice, and that was stretching it. (the 2nd time was only to go through it fully modded with Obscuro & many others)

The only decent PC RPG I see coming out in the next year would be Dragon Age by Bioware, and that's probably because there hasn't been shit said about it. It could be another Jade Empire.

Looks like I won't have to waste money on PC upgrades, since it's all MMOs and half-arsed singleplayer games coming out next year.

8. No subject Nov 1, 2007, 23:04 sponge

Are there any games for people who just want to play an RPG with a few friends? (This is both a rhetorical and serious question, heh)

Give me Oblivion, or Morrowind with multiplayer, and you'll have a customer who puts an 8-9 hour marathon session LANning with friends on a weekend.

Apparently, it's the all or nothing complex. Either a single player RPG, or ZOMG LET'S PLAY WITH 10,000 ASSHOLES.

7. No subject Nov 1, 2007, 23:00 Wilson

What made MW and Oblivion good were their extensible natures. You can't really mod for MMOs.

6. Re: No subject Nov 1, 2007, 22:55 Cutter

Is this the version that makes the game fun to play?

Actually, this is a good thing. It'll attract all the console kiddies who think TES qualifies as good CRPG material, and leave other better MOGs to the adults.

"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
- Hunter S. Thompson

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: No subject Nov 1, 2007, 22:37 MrBone

are you serious?? only a fool wouldn't try to copy wow's success in some fashion given the IP...and elderscrolls is quite an extensive IP.

4. bah... Nov 1, 2007, 22:26 Wowbagger_TIP

There goes the franchise...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

3. Re: No subject Nov 1, 2007, 21:46 manic half

have they ever done multiplayer before? letalone massively multiplayer?

they dont really have much of a record in terms of fixing bugs/balance, which obviously never stop showing up in mmo's.

2. Re: No subject Nov 1, 2007, 21:46 Decoy

This seems like a really strange idea. Part of the reason I find the Elder Scrolls games so appealing is that they're great single player experiences. I just don't see their style of games working well in a MMOG style. What is it with everyone trying to replicate WoW's success?

1. No subject Nov 1, 2007, 21:31 Howin

A online Elder Scrolls games sounds good on paper but, I do play Oblivion to get away from online epic idiots.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo