Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Warhammer Online Delayed Again

Warhammer Online retreats to mid-2008 has word that the frequently delayed Warhammer MMORPG is delayed once more. In a follow-up EA Mythic chief demystifies Warhammer Online delay on GameSpot is a Q&A with Mark Jacobs explaining the delay: "The short answer would be that it's hard to make this kind of game. Now, for a more detailed answer. It really boils down to this: Our game is going to live and die by two things. One is realm-versus-realm (RvR) gameplay. The second is overall quality. This is not 1999, 1997, or even 2001. This is 2007. We have to be able to release a game that, in terms of quality, without even going into game systems or RvR, is top-notch. We've seen too many games in this industry, and in this space, release without that, and we're not going to do that."

View
4. Re: No subject Nov 2, 2007, 00:18 Fion

The beta was having serious trouble from what I understand. Using a build that was months old for beta-testers. Combat was slow and boring, RvR totally didn't work. City Sieging, the crowning achievement of the games RvR didn't work at all. The Tiered zones make the game feel like it's single player. The PvP was heavily instanced focused.

Mind, none of this is slated to really change. But I mean how could anyone not see this coming with beta shutting down for two full months. Sure they played it off as 'so we can update everything to the next major build' but we knew it was more.

I think the biggest problem is that Mark Jacobs promised the next big thing and promised it finished in under 3 years. That's just not possible. I heard they had 4 floors of people working on the game, more then 170 people! That is far to many at this point and I'm sure the coordinators can't keep everything strait. Thus why things appear all over the place, and why EA is restructuring. Smaller teams, more focused, to get the job done. Maybe not in 2.5 years as originally planned, but hey.

So yea. Beta shut down for 2 months, EA restructuring, people getting laid off (they insist it 'wasn't that many in the grand scheme of things' but that just means 'it's more then we are comfortable with revealing.) Now the game is pushed back to a very loose date that could be anything from April to September? Things are not boding well for Warhammer Online.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 00:21.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Nov 1, 21:17 Kudos Creston
  2. Nov 1, 22:17 No subject manic half
  3. Nov 1, 23:15  Re: No subject Grounded
>> 4. Nov 2, 00:18   Re: No subject Fion
  5. Nov 2, 00:48    Re: No subject Zetler
  6. Nov 2, 06:28 Mid-2008... After Wow expasion =( RenownWolf
  7. Nov 2, 06:37  Re: Mid-2008... ibm
  8. Nov 2, 08:25   Re: Mid-2008... ColoradoHoudini
  9. Nov 2, 10:38 More Like World Of Warhammer... Craft... Sepharo

footer