Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - Unreal Tournament 3

Midway and Epic announce that Unreal Tournament 3 is gold, and the multiplayer shooter sequel will ship for the PC November 19 and the PS3 soon thereafter. A new cinematic trailer from the game is available on ActionTrip, and here's the announcement:

Midway and Epic today announced that Unreal Tournament 3 has gone to gold master for the PC. Developed by the team behind the critically acclaimed video game Gears of War, Unreal Tournament 3 is currently scheduled to ship in North America on November 19th for the PC with a suggested retail price of $49.95 and $59.95 for the collector's edition. The PlayStation®3 version will follow soon. Unreal Tournament fans can get a taste of the compelling first person shooter by checking out the previously released single-player trailer below, or download the beta demo that is available now at http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/ut3/.

About Unreal Tournament 3 Unreal Tournament 3 marks the return of the world's premiere first-person shooter to the PC, and its debut on the PLAYSTATION® 3 computer entertainment system. Unreal Tournament 3 unleashes the full power of Unreal Engine 3, taking graphics, gameplay, and challenge to a whole new level. Players engage in intense battles with other human players online, or against Unreal artificial intelligence that sets the industry standard. With the most powerful futuristic weapons and vehicles available, this is FPS action at its best!

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Those who do not know their history... Nov 1, 2007, 10:02 STATIC3D

...are doomed to repeat it. I've seen some comments about the beta demo being released and not enough time for feedback to be applied to the "gold" version of the game. How many of you remember back when UT2003 was released? Yep, that's right, they released a demo in order to get feedback on the game...and...about two weeks later the game was "gold". Any of you that played UT2003 will remember how "different" (not) the full version was from the demo (thanks to having the ability to apply all that feedback...lol). Some blame the developers, but more often it's the publisher dictating the release schedules of games.

In any case, it just seems that ye ole history is repeating itself. I've said it before and I'll say it again, stuff like this would not continue to happen if some (a LOT of) gamers were a bit smarter and didn't have to run out and purchase a game just because it's "new" and/or has prettier graphics than the last version (including those all important screenshots on the box that help sell the game...yes, people STILL purchase games on little more info than that...lmao).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. No subject Nov 1, 2007, 08:16 KilrathiAce

Vehicle CTF & Onslaught is where its at.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

42. No subject Oct 31, 2007, 21:18 DangerDog

Do people even use this feature any more? I would have thought everyone would be using standalone browsers that handle multiple games, like Qtracker or Kali. Who uses the in-game browser? I guess if you just played one game and one game alone, you'd use its browser, but if you have more than one, why are you using the in-game ones?

It seems to get worse and worse which each new game, it's more convenient to have an in-game browser that works though. All these games using “gamespy” technology generally suck the big one.

41. Re: Jerykk Oct 31, 2007, 18:46 Zephalephelah

Faster games require more skill. You have to lead your targets more and predict where they are going to be, rather than just aiming at their head and firing.

The leading of targets is skill; prediction is luck. Fast moving = more luck & less skill. For the most part, I don't mind a player that reacts quickly; what I mind is a player that can run 70mph, because that just seems like a whole lot of cheese.

40. Re: Unreal Tournament 3 Oct 31, 2007, 18:42 SpectralMeat

Carver said on Oct 4th:

I'll give you Unreal Tournament III Specs,

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _UNREAL TOURNAMENT III SPECS_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Pretty Engine, all fluff, no substance.

No Gameplay, what there is, is simple at best, made to cater for n00bs

No skill required, spam, spam, spam, spam, you want a game that requires skill? look elsewhere!!

Nothing, apart from the graphics(FLUFF), has changed since the first iteration of this travesty to gaming.

I see in this thread, and have noticed in the past that people seem to be always praising the fact that Unreal Tournament has heaps of stuff, maps, game modes, etc, etc. Well, like I always say,
"It doesn't matter whether you've got a truck load of shit, or a shovel full of shit, in the end you've still just got a pile of shit. That sums up UT in a nutshell.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _END OF UNREAL TOURNAMENT III SPECS_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Carver said today:

Well, I'll be surely getting this, this could probably be the best game ever for me, I thought the demo was an absolute blast. Coming from an almost exclusive Quake background, the game play is a little slow, but . . . , I really like the feel, the weapons, just about everything, theres not much I don't like. I even think the UI is pretty cool, at least I don't have a great dislike or hate for it as a lot seem to. Server browser, meh, who gives a shit, as long as you can connect to a server in a click or 2.

I'll be ordering all my new parts now to build my new PC, ready for release day, even though my current PC runs it fine at 1024x768 everything maxed, it's time to move on from single core, agp etc, and I'll even say farewell to my trusty old 21' CRT monitors, it's time for LCD I guess.

Bring it on!!

So are you just trolling this forum or do you actually have opinions? Or you started liking the game in this past month?

Oh lets not forget this comment, on Oct 14th:

There is only one way to fix the UT3 Demo, and it has nothing to do with a Patch/.exe

It is called 'uninstall' and can be achieved via add remove programs, or the apps uninstall, but if your in a bind you may just delete the program folder, and don't forget kiddies, delete the UT3BetaDemo.exe as well. Rid yourself entirely of this filth.

So now I am kinda confused. Do you like this game or you don't?

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 18:44.

Steam: SpectralMeat

39. In-game Server Browsers Oct 31, 2007, 18:02 Vigil

Do people even use this feature any more? I would have thought everyone would be using standalone browsers that handle multiple games, like Qtracker or Kali. Who uses the in-game browser? I guess if you just played one game and one game alone, you'd use its browser, but if you have more than one, why are you using the in-game ones?

38. Re: Unreal Tournament 3 Oct 31, 2007, 17:22 Com

wtf Carver? Didn't you say THIS about UT3:

Anyone who buys this game is a frothing moronic tool.

Or was that a super sardonic post that I didn't get...

37. Re: Not Buying Oct 31, 2007, 17:18 Jerykk

Especially when the targets is very far away like in oh I don't know........... TRIBES 1 and 2!!!!! (and even the abomination Tribes Vengeance)

Tribes is the fastest FPS out there... just not when it comes to projectile speed. I wholly agree that it's far more interesting when you have to compensate for projectile speed and trajectory instead of relying on hitscan.

Tribes Vengeance was a great game not sure why no one played it. Guess people got tired of the Tribes series or something.

T:V was a neutered abomination. They streamlined Tribes, took away the depth, added annoying, spam-heavy vehicles, turned the mines into a deployable, added the terribly unbalanced grappler, placed forcefields around the playing field, removed carving from skiing, added launch pads... they tried to make Tribes accessible. Tribes, by its very nature, isn't accessible. If you make it accessible, it stops being Tribes. That's why T:V failed.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 17:20.

36. Re: Unreal Tournament 3 Oct 31, 2007, 16:13 PHJF

Games whose projectile weapons take time to reach their target require even more skill.

TF2 Soldier

Steam + PSN: PHJF

35. Unreal Tournament 3 Oct 31, 2007, 15:48 Carver

Well, I'll be surely getting this, this could probably be the best game ever for me, I thought the demo was an absolute blast. Coming from an almost exclusive Quake background, the game play is a little slow, but . . . , I really like the feel, the weapons, just about everything, theres not much I don't like. I even think the UI is pretty cool, at least I don't have a great dislike or hate for it as a lot seem to. Server browser, meh, who gives a shit, as long as you can connect to a server in a click or 2.

I'll be ordering all my new parts now to build my new PC, ready for release day, even though my current PC runs it fine at 1024x768 everything maxed, it's time to move on from single core, agp etc, and I'll even say farewell to my trusty old 21' CRT monitors, it's time for LCD I guess.

Bring it on!!

34. Re: No subject Oct 31, 2007, 15:46 sponge

TTDpatch > OTTD how you guys can survive without path-based signalling, I'll never know...

U R WRONG UR OPINION IS WRONG AND UR GAY.

With that out of the way, my introduction to TTD was via OpenTTD. It being cross-platform is also a great help to me and people I play with, and the multiplayer (which as I understand was enhanced) can't be beat when playing on a private server.

33. Re: Not Buying Oct 31, 2007, 15:29 SpectralMeat

Tribes Vengeance was a great game not sure why no one played it. Guess people got tired of the Tribes series or something.

32. Re: Not Buying Oct 31, 2007, 15:19 Overon

Faster games require more skill. You have to lead your targets more and predict where they are going to be, rather than just aiming at their head and firing.
Games whose projectile weapons take time to reach their target require even more skill. Especially when the targets is very far away like in oh I don't know........... TRIBES 1 and 2!!!!! (and even the abomination Tribes Vengeance)

31. Re: Not Buying Oct 31, 2007, 15:17 SpectralMeat

I think both game types the tactical and the run and gun type require skills it just depends on what kind of game experience you are looking for. I prefer the paste of Crysis and the visuals over UT3. I used to play the shit out of the original UT, and I have all the other UT games that came out after, but I am just kind of burnt out, and I am not looking for the ultra fast twitch fest type of games anymore. The demo wasn't too too bad but It doesn't make me want to buy the game.

I'll see what the reviews say about the full game.

30. Re: Not Buying Oct 31, 2007, 14:52 Jerykk

The original UT was okay, even that was too fast. It's not that I can't handle quick decisions, but rather I want a game that requires less luck and more skill.

29. No subject Oct 31, 2007, 14:28 DangerDog

Epic has been spouting off about how there weren’t great numbers of players who went online with UT2003 & UT2004, they pretty much sealed the deal of making UT3 a single player bot match game with that abomination of a UI and featureless server browser.

What was the point of asking for feedback on a beta demo if you’re not going to listen to any of it in the first place?

28. Re: Not Buying Oct 31, 2007, 14:06 Zephalephelah

The original UT was okay, even that was too fast. It's not that I can't handle quick decisions, but rather I want a game that requires less luck and more skill. I also enjoy games that pretend to be semi-realistic in their fantasy. This game with the enormous armor and the 70mph running is not even worth the demo run.

27. Re: UT3 Oct 31, 2007, 13:59 The Half Elf

Reckless I'll give you 2.

The Demo of Halo 2 given at E3 was nowhere to be found in the final game, and later come to find out was made just for the E3 demonstartion.

And Starcraft when it was originally demo'd was torn a new one by the media and gamers due to it looking like Warcraft 2 in space. The game was later changed to a more isometric view, and it's own unique graphic appearence.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

26. Re: UT3 Oct 31, 2007, 13:51 Beady

As long as epic use gamespy for this, people wont be buying it.

UT always had great server browsers and UI's, but this one is just a huge turdfest. I could forgive more of the same, but not less.

25. Re: UT3 Oct 31, 2007, 13:43 nin

Name *one* game where a preceding demo was massively different to what ended up being released.... not one I bet!

The original TimeShift demo...

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo