Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

TF2 Patched, Orange Box SDK Nears

Steam News announces a new Team Fortress 2 update is now automatically available as well as a minor Steam client update. Also, this week's Steam Message has word on some new games and Team Fortress 2 posters they are offering, and news that the first post-Orange Box release of the Steam SDK is nearing:

The first post-Orange release of the Source SDK is being made ready for release. This release will allow Mod authors to create custom maps and additional content for Episode Two, Team Fortress 2, and Portal. A follow-up release to allow Mod authors to create custom Mods based upon the Episode Two client and server code will be next.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Friendly Fire Oct 30, 2007, 15:32 The Raven

There are many comments about friendly fire and professional play, and there appear to be some misconceptions.

Friendly Fire is needed for professional play because without it games become too defensive. If you have two teams, both experts, then the defensive team has a significant advantage. When both teams are noobs, the attackers have a significant advantage.

Friendly fire makes it harder to defend, which you generally don't want an public servers where the defenders are already at a disadvantage... but you DO want this for tournaments, where defense heavy games become very boring, fast.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 15:32.

Dreaming Demon, formerly Tikatt, formerly The Raven
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Friendly Fire Oct 29, 2007, 12:47 KilrathiAce

What you do is you have medic try to and be closer to the turret during Uber attack so that the soldier/heavy who is ubered is not being locked on by the gun while attacking. Also, other teammates should rush out while other people attacking as uber and help out, the gun can only shoot at one person usually the one thats closest. Now if there are more guns then it takes specific places to use. Additionally, you also would need team work from spies when attacking guns.

Taking guns out is not a problem, what is a problem is no class limits on servers. If you have 6 engineers and 6 guns around various places on map then it gets tougher, especially if they have few pyro guarding the area from spies.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

34. Re: Friendly Fire Oct 29, 2007, 12:43 KilrathiAce

Umm, I am not saying force friendly fire on all servers, I am asking for allowing to have an option, so when I get my own server I can turn it on and have fun in scrim.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"

33. Re: Friendly Fire Oct 29, 2007, 03:52 Armengar

medic + hw = no engy, dispenser and sg. Works for me. Medics are kewl now (and I can live without conc jumping)

Now if only we had a shotgun it would be nirvana

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

32. Re: Friendly Fire Oct 28, 2007, 22:46 Krovven

Engineer should not be able to sit behind a turret and repair faster than soldiers and HW's under Ub3r can tear it down. That's just not fair. The wrench is mightier than the rocket.

I emailed about this and the turret push-back awhile ago. Unfortunately this seems to be how they want it.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

31. Re: Friendly Fire Oct 28, 2007, 18:18 PHJF

Engineer should not be able to sit behind a turret and repair faster than soldiers and HW's under Ub3r can tear it down. That's just not fair. The wrench is mightier than the rocket.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

30. Friendly Fire Oct 28, 2007, 14:49 Zephalephelah

There is no friendly fire in the game because people on the internet tend to be jerks. Also, you may notice that you can run right through your teammate's bodies, so I'm sure that this also takes it into account; otherwise people would be colliding and blocking doors either accidentally or on purpose ala Counter-Strike.

But for competitive clan matches and professional play, it should be added because it really is better and causes people to think.

29. Re: more tf2 maps ftw Oct 28, 2007, 13:00 Krovven

Houdini, but you'd be missing out on probably the best chapter of Half Life with EP2, and Portal is just amazing. It's one of those pop culture things for the year 2007. I'd spend the extra $20 for Portal and Ep2 without a moments thought.

And come-on folks, Sponge is entitled to his opinion.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

28. Re: more tf2 maps ftw Oct 28, 2007, 12:52 sponge

Probably, but everyone is more of an asshole on the internet, something all of us are guilty of.

27. Re: more tf2 maps ftw Oct 28, 2007, 11:57 ColoradoHoudini

the funny part about you guys arguing is that i bet you would all get along in real life.
"oh hey, this new guy just started working with me, seems cool.. we bullshit and talk about video games a lot, seems like a nice guy"

26. Re: more tf2 maps ftw Oct 28, 2007, 11:56 FloppyGrandma

it merely shows your a sheep who likes to stick out and bark orders rather than have fun.

Ummm. I think you need to back to metaphor school. "Sheep" are usually followers of the herd. And they don't bark; orders or otherwise.

25. No subject Oct 28, 2007, 11:54 KilrathiAce

TF2 is way superior and more evolved over TF1 except for 1 element, there is no friendly fire option. If Valve actually grows balls and puts back FF option then TF2 will be perfect.

24. Re: more tf2 maps ftw Oct 28, 2007, 11:43 sponge

Does the mere existence of TF2 really bother you that much? Awww. That's a shame.

You don't make any sense. I must've forgotten the cardinal rule of discussion boards: no discussion! THERE SHALL BE NO DISSENT. NO OPINIONS OTHER THAN THE MAJORITY ARE ALLOWED.

What a friggin tool you are.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 11:43.

23. Re: more tf2 maps ftw Oct 28, 2007, 11:06 Billy Bob

I can buy TF through Steam for only 30bucks?
Am i missing anything in that price? All i want is TF2, that's all I need right? No other game dependency?]]

Yup, TF2 is definitely $30 worth of fun. You won't get HL2 ep 2 for that price, but you don't need it to play TF2.

Enjoy!

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 11:06.

22. Spies Oct 28, 2007, 10:45 Zephalephelah

The thing I miss most of all is feign death for the spies. That was just freaking awesome!!

21. Re: more tf2 maps ftw Oct 28, 2007, 10:43 ColoradoHoudini

I know I should save my money due to an impending divorce, but god dammit.. i really feel like I am missing something by not playing TF2.
wait a tick, I can buy TF through Steam for only 30bucks?
Am i missing anything in that price? All i want is TF2, that's all I need right? No other game dependency?
-----------
I really wish QW would've turned out to be a better game. The numbers are telling, under 2,500 people playing during peak times, that's a crying shame. SoF2 has around the same amount of players, and that games is how many yeas old?

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 10:53.

20. Re: more tf2 maps ftw Oct 28, 2007, 10:26 Hpankin

If you want the original, play the original

Exactly. Not a single one of us TF2 players (and enjoyers) is holding a gun to anyone else's head demanding that you remove TFC or FF from your hard drives.

Does the mere existence of TF2 really bother you that much? Awww. That's a shame.

19. Re: more tf2 maps ftw Oct 28, 2007, 07:54 Fibrocyte

It's not a remake of the original and it was never intended to be.

If you want the original, play the original?

18. Re: more tf2 maps ftw Oct 28, 2007, 07:20 sponge

Sponge I know you don't like the game, but saying it's unbalanced is pretty ridiculous and makes me think you haven't given it a chance because you prefer the gameplay of ETQW. One of the commonalities among critics and players is that teh game is very balanced.

AS for the charging of the alt fire...it takes a good amount of time for that to charge to full, not so easy if you are being attacked by enemies.

And by thinking outside the box I wasn't refering to the charging of the sticky bombs. There are other ways to make an area capturable to open a gate until the other team reverses that capture. This can be done using the current game mechanics with the capture points. Apply a trigger to open or close a gate.

Actually, I've said plenty of times that I'm not thrilled with TF2 compared to Q3F/ETF and QWTF-- the REAL Fortress games. Nothing to do with ETQW. It is simply an inferior game to the other Fortress games out there. TF is what brought me to online gaming originally.

TF was evolved many years ago, with games like Tribes, RTCW, taking the TF formula one step further. Instead of Valve listening, and doing something like we originally saw with Brotherhood of Arms, we get a gimped port of TFC, where they've spent time removing things until the game begins to work. First sequel I can think of where more things were removed than added in recent history. Despite that, it still doesn't work-- Dustbowl has retained its reputation of Spambowl very well in the transition.

Fortress Forever is a much better representation of TF, and for that game's problem with spam too, it's still more enjoyable than the watered down TF:Source Lite.

17. Re: more tf2 maps ftw Oct 28, 2007, 05:51 AhrimaaN

Fair enough, that's inexcusable behaviour for pub servers, but for pugs and clan games its lacking... anyway no loss from what I've played I prefer pub play because there is larger teams in most cases and it's a lot more relaxed and varied, of course in clan games etc spies are of limited use etc, lots of medics and heavy/soldier combos, not many pyros etc.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo