Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis Demo Nears, Now Available for Preorders

inCrysis has word that the Crysis demo is now available for preorder customers, as promised a day in advance of the demo's full release tomorrow. They mention receiving reports of problems (a crisis?) some users are having launching or decrypting the demo, which are also mentioned on the EA Forums (thanks Voodoo Extreme), but its not clear how widespread these issues are. For those who have not preordered, the Crysis Demo Download Live Countdown Timer (thanks Gamer's Hell) is going to zero in on the demo's release, though it currently says "The countdown will be tuned when EA & Crytek release official timing." Finally, there's a Crysis Q&A on Shacknews talking with Crytek's Cevat Yerli about the game's technology.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: No subject Oct 26, 2007, 12:52 Eldaron Imotholin

Indeed.

Y'm kynda asking the same question. Crytek has an arrogant imago to me, but maybe that's because in every tytle they make... that fucking "cry" from "crytek" comes back.

What will be their new tytle? Crynicles of Crytek?

Vince

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. No subject Oct 26, 2007, 12:50 DangerDog

I hate to break it to you guys, but Crysis absolutely sucks. It is generic, buggy, and lacks any sort of fun what-so-ever.

I guess if generic shooter #12432435123 appeals to you, you should check it out. I have, I hated it, I canceled my preorder, and now I am spending every waking second in TF2 which is the way shooters should be....FUN.

TF2 is generic shooter #12432435122

22. Re: No subject Oct 26, 2007, 09:56 Ecthelion

But the fact is every aspect of a level is so well done, with so much attention to detail, that it all compliments the other without any glaring shortcomings.
And somehow you know this before the game is out? It's one thing to say that the screenshots look good. But to say that every aspect of a level (insinuating every aspect of every level, since you didn't specify a particular level) is so well done is rather suspicious. If you said that about a Valve game, all of the Valve/Steam bashers would be coming out of the woodwork.

That brings up another question. Why is Crytek practically immune to criticism, yet Valve gets criticized every time they do or say anything?

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 09:57.

21. Re: So... Oct 26, 2007, 09:48 4D-Boxing

Ray Marden

I could not have said it better myself.

20. Re: No subject Oct 26, 2007, 09:43 Fibrocyte

EA is bigger than /\/\$ now, just FYI.

19. Re: No subject Oct 26, 2007, 09:40 KillerBee

I hate to break it to you guys, but Crysis absolutely sucks. It is generic, buggy, and lacks any sort of fun what-so-ever.

I guess if generic shooter #12432435123 appeals to you, you should check it out. I have, I hated it, I canceled my preorder, and now I am spending every waking second in TF2 which is the way shooters should be....FUN.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 10:06.

Life is sexually transmitted.

18. No subject Oct 26, 2007, 08:36 Eldaron Imotholin

I don't get it

So this demo'll be released today, huh? Then why does the countdown say we have to wait another 23 hours? For me, that'll mean the demo will be released LATE the 27th in Europe.. and early the 27th in America.

Fuck this, game's liniair anyway...
Vince

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 08:37.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

17. No subject Oct 26, 2007, 08:04 Hump

suck.

not until tomorrow folks when it will once again be delayed another day.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

16. Re: No subject Oct 26, 2007, 07:51 Ray Marden

At least the timer has bee updated now.

And, un-surprisingly, the timer is now showing it as being exclusinve more than twenty-four hours.

Go EA!
I love samuelk. Attacks me on a point I make in jest, but ignores valid issues.
Amused by the posters and clueless moderator on the EA forum,
Ray

-----
There's no sense crying over every mistake; you just keep on trying until you run out of cake!
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

15. No subject Oct 26, 2007, 07:46 Exe

LOL The "Timer" in big green fonts is on a site with "This site is not affiliated with or endorsed by Electronic Arts
" written at the bottom.

14. Re: So... Oct 26, 2007, 07:23 samuelk

"Meanwhile, there is a timer up now. Granted, it's in a big, ugly green font and seems to be negative (I know, I know, it's counting down, but it amuses me they have the hyphen in front of it.)"

The hyphen is correct, because it's a countdown (i.e., T-minus 1 minute and counting).

Even NASA uses the minus when doing a countdown. After a rocket/shuttle lifts off, the timer switches to T-plus.

Man, you guys are just inventing things to complain about.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 07:23.

13. Re: So... Oct 26, 2007, 07:20 Ray Marden

Ha ha.

So I can preorder, download the "early" demo, and then cancel immediately afterward?

Meanwhile, there is a timer up now. Granted, it's in a big, ugly green font and seems to be negative (I know, I know, it's counting down, but it amuses me they have the hyphen in front of it.)

But even more points to EA/Crytek. There is a link with the text "Is this countdown accurate?"

And the answer we are given? From this demo site?

We don't know. There isn't any official statement about it.
If the 24h hour exclusive is correct, it will be public on October 26th 23:00 UTC/GMT)
We have to wait...

I am being a little harsh with EA/Crytek, but that is because I do think this is both silly and stupid. Neither company knows? They call it a demo and then witthold it? But I can play the demo - the act of exhibiting the operation or use of this software - now, if I am willing to pay in advance? The official timer may or may not be accurate? They even mock their own info by nothing how "accurate" it is? The EA forums the site links to contains posts complaining about EA not communicating and not upholding its preorder promise(s)?

Again, not the end of the world, but really silly and, in my opinion, not the proper way to do this.
Damn, did somebody just try to defend EA?
Wishing EA would go away,
Ray

-----
There's no sense crying over every mistake; you just keep on trying until you run out of cake!
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

12. Re: So... Oct 26, 2007, 07:04 samuelk

"So we can only try a demonstration of the product if we agree, in advance, to buy the product regardless of quality?"

No. Stop trying to turn this into something it's not.

EA is allowing people who preorder the game to try the demo a day earlier than everyone else. You can still play the demo without preordering the game; you just have to wait for another 24 hours.

Are you people so impatient to wait for a demo that you'd turn this into some kind of strong-arm tactic?

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 07:05.

11. Re: So... Oct 26, 2007, 06:58 Kevlar

And we're out of beta, we're releasing on time...

Man, even the Portal credits song gets it better than this.

Well, in any event I thought I couldn't wait for this demo... Still can't wait... But then I thought about being strong-armed just to try the demo, and now I can afford to hold off for a while.

Actually, it's a moot point - according to the website, the non-preorder heathens will have to wait until about 7 PM EST. Woohoo!

10. Re: So... Oct 26, 2007, 04:43  cliffski 

indeed, I applaud your views. pre-order is a word I'm starting to really fucking hate. empire earth even gives extra units to people who pre-order. that means I wont buy the game under any circumstances.
widely available free demo FTW.

http://www.positech.co.uk

9. Re: No subject Oct 26, 2007, 04:34 HardCore

There are now FPS's out there who are far less generic and offer the same graphical eye-candy then Crysis. What's the deal here?

Well the deal is your simply mistaken. Now if you have an older computer the geometry and amount of raw power a level demands won't look all that outstanding comparatively but...
With a proper machine, it's probably unparalleled, I'll know for sure when I play through it.

You can't compare some effects in some corridor with what this does in a full outdoor environment, the raw power required is pretty intense. Oblivion was great in it's time, this takes things to another level.

The fact is the quality is so high that it would be very easy for one to notice any minimalistic art design in a level, it would stick out like a sore thumb. But the fact is every aspect of a level is so well done, with so much attention to detail, that it all compliments the other without any glaring shortcomings. I'm sure there are experts in finding shortcomings that will find many, they feed on it, but objectively it's pretty impressive. All of that rendering comes at a price but medium settings looks really good too.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 04:36.

8. No subject Oct 26, 2007, 03:31 DangerDog

It was the early "magic screens" that grabbed the most attention, also the ability to break just about everything in the environment (shown in videos), slightly less linear feel to the game play, like in far cry where you could attack your objective using multiple forms of transportation and tactics resulting in somewhat unique results each time.

The updated visuals are impressive especially if you take the time to notice all the slight nuances of detail that have been put into the game, if you have a system capable of running at least medium settings anyway, the higher you go the more cool effects you’ll see.

While not “everything” is breakable in the game the stuff that is breakable adds to the wow factor, even though it’s limited to DX10 for destructible stuff in multiplayer the single player breakable stuff works in DX9 and DX10.

Of course there are limits to how far you can travel in a level; it’s not one huge island that you’re free to roam, yet there will be multiple paths to take even if you end up exactly in the same place as everyone else who plays the game.

It’s a solid shooter experience, the way the weapons work, look and sound is all extremely polished, again the attention to detail follows through to the game play in just so many ways that it all amounts to a feeling that the game was created by people who really care about their work without making any sacrifices.

On a technical achievement level I don’t think any of the other games out now or due out shortly add up to what they’ve put into the Cry Engine 2.

I’m sure people will have fun exposing all the “unrealistic” stuff in the game or pointing out how you can’t blow up a specific static mesh on the map but can shoot down a tree, maybe have vegetation poke up through the floorboards in a vehicle, things like that. I’m impressed with all the little things they added like the way light prisms move under water or seeing ambient life in the game react to you, every time I would play the multiplayer demo I’d notice something that I hadn’t before.

7. Re: No subject Oct 26, 2007, 02:56 Reactor

Really? What games are those?

6. No subject Oct 26, 2007, 02:19 Tr0n

I don't understand all the hype surrounding this game.

There are now FPS's out there who are far less generic and offer the same graphical eye-candy then Crysis. What's the deal here?

5. Re: So... Oct 26, 2007, 02:04 beaves

Damn! I didn't know Crysis was an EA product -5 points!

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo