Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Spore in Six Months

Computer and Video Games has word that Spore is "roughly" six months from release, quoting designer Will Wright, who made the revelation in a radio interview. Word is the game, previously expected by the end of this year at the earliest (story), is now fully playable, and undergoing final testing. They offer quotes from Wright saying the testing is focused on accessibility, as he says: "I want the people who have played The Sims to be able to play Spore - I don't want it to be some thing just hardcore gamers play."

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: ... Oct 25, 2007, 20:29 Creston

Just because those people aren't the ones playing Baldur's Quest

People who don't play Baldur's Quest don't get a fucking vote, DAMMIT!!!

I am Teh Hardcore!1!!

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: No subject Oct 25, 2007, 16:42 Kxmode

Graphically with the exception of facial animations, Halo 3 is a visually superior game.

Can we PLEASE kill this Halo 3 versus THE WORLD discussion. This is trivial and a total waste of time. Obviously some love Halo 3 and others do not. Both sides are not going to convince the other side to change their mind.

-----
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
p/reviewer for Game Industry News

26. Re: No subject Oct 25, 2007, 16:38 Kxmode

@Fion

How in the world do you translate "I want the people who have played The Sims to be able to play Spore - I don't want it to be some thing just hardcore gamers play" to mean "We want this game to sell like wild-cakes on consoles"???

I didn't see ANY mention of "console" anywhere in that Q&A?

Maybe you should re-read that article...

-----

25. can't wait! Oct 25, 2007, 14:01 Kxmode

nuff said

-----

24. yeah but Oct 25, 2007, 13:41 Cheese

it might not be a simular game than IC but tell me if those GOOFY aliens you create look like something outta impossible creatures. Too bad you cant create something humanoid or clivebarker looking scary, instead of the tella tubies. how can you take a game serious when your leading around some funny looking ant eater?? they better change those 7th grader graphics if they expect me to buy it.

23. Accessible but deep? Oct 25, 2007, 09:58 Wolfox

Maybe they should do what I experienced in Puzzle Quest. It's a very accessible game for casual players, but with some (mostly optional) depth for more dedicated gamers.

If Puzzle Quest managed that, maybe Spore will as well. But I guess we'll know in 6 months or so (after the initial batch of reviews, of course, as the whole Black & White thing taught us).

22. Re: Impossible Creatures Oct 25, 2007, 09:58 Sirgoiter

Spore is quite different than IC.

IC was one RTS sized map where you had to capture resources to plug different animals parts together to make your standard RTS units. You had various types of creatures all on the same board, a base, and resources to harvest.

In Spore you assemble your creature early on in its life cycle through different types of gameplay that are unrelated to the RTS genre. Then, in the social and economic design of your species - not the physical plug-in-appendage part - you enter the RTS phase of the game. At this point your one creature is primiarily intact, and you design mechanical units with lego like pieces. In this sense the RTS elements are more similar to Earth 2150 series than to Impossible Creatures. From there the game springboards into a whole new stage where your creature's society expands through interstellar exploration.

Spore is a progression through different gaming genres. That's its 'thing'. The game start out like PacMan, but as your creature evolves so does his social structure, the gameplay begins to explore different genres as well. Things like Sim City gameplay, and yes RTS gameplay - but it's only one slice within a series of presented genres.

I don't see how this could be referred to as a copy or extension of any one RTS game.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 10:00.

21. Impossible Creatures Oct 25, 2007, 09:33 Cheese

Striking resemblence to IC, and didnt that title flop, well it had the same premise as this one make weird stuff and go to war agianst other weird stuff. I thought Impossible Creatures was kind of good but Spore should be called IC2

20. Re: No subject Oct 25, 2007, 09:00 The Half Elf

2 things, if a person thought Halo 3 was a AAA title, why would they 1)spend 7k on a computer, 2)be using a computer at all?

Graphically with the exception of facial animations, Halo 3 is a visually superior game. As for Half Life 2 Episode 2, has nothing (at least to me personally) visually that is better then what was released with Half Life 2. Team Fortress has it's own unique art style, and impressive use of shaders for it, but can't compare to say Crysis.

But back to Spore. 'More Accessibility so The Sims player can play Spore' is a double bladed razor. And I guess it's just a wait and see if the game is being watered down for casual gamers.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

19. ... Oct 25, 2007, 07:08 theyarecomingforyou

Also, anyone who dosn't think Halo 3 is a quality AAA title has no idea of what fun, class and good design is anymore and may possibly spend more time masturbating over his awesome $7k PC's open case than he spends playing games these days.
Halo 3 is really lacking in comparison to The Orange Box, especially graphically. It's decent enough, though - I think a lot of people rebel against anything considered too mainstream.

everyone wants them to be "more accessible" so they can sell more units.. fuck this "we are doing it for the good of the people" bullshit
Surely if more people buy it because it's been made "more accessible" then that IS for the good of the people? Just because those people aren't the ones playing Baldur's Quest doesn't make the goal less admirable, it just means that it won't appeal to the same people. As long as customers are happy with the game and weren't hoodwinked by marketing then it's fine. It's not like we're talking about a sequel to an existing franchise, like Half-Life 3, being made "more accessible"... we're talking about a new game / genre.

I guess it all depends on whether "more accessible" means steamlining the interface and making it quicker to pick up / replay or whether it means appealling to the lowest common denominator. If the guy can expand on the target audience of The Sims then it's sure to be a huge hit, regardless of whether you or I like it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

18. Re: No subject Oct 25, 2007, 06:15 Numinar

Awesome concept, but the funness/game has so far not been shown. The mating mechanic looked pretty naff.

I was imagining all the good bits of Populous the beginning/magic carpet (Deformable terrain+god-iddity) mixed with master of orion (Customization) and civ (ai/scale). Water that stuff down too much though and you have weak sauce.

I have no evidence to go on other than my hopes and dreams, shattered so many times before by countless post 16 bit era molexneux titles, a deus ex sequel and TA Kingdoms, amoung others.

Also, anyone who dosn't think Halo 3 is a quality AAA title has no idea of what fun, class and good design is anymore and may possibly spend more time masturbating over his awesome $7k PC's open case than he spends playing games these days. This is hypothetical but I think I am on to something so I am going to apply for a grant.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 06:16.

17. Re: No subject Oct 25, 2007, 05:06 Dmitri_M

Spore looks like a set of GTA minigames with more customisation (customisation isn't gameplay, it's just an art resource flood). Gaming on autopilot. The Sims was the same, a sandbox sprickled with minigames.

16. No subject Oct 25, 2007, 01:13 space captain

yeh thats always a retarded tagline.. just how many mainstream games are truly "hardcore" these days? everyone wants them to be "more accessible" so they can sell more units.. fuck this "we are doing it for the good of the people" bullshit

Go forth, and kill!

15. Re: ... Oct 25, 2007, 00:55 Ventura

I don't want it to be some thing just hardcore gamers play

What are we supposed to play, then? I just reactivated my Everquest 1 account, for crying out loud.

And hell, it even looks like that's been dumbed down a little.

14. Re: ... Oct 24, 2007, 23:20 verybad

Looked interesting before because you could evolve a vicious animal and go two headed lionbat on something. I have the feeling the killing will be toned down to Disney standards though. Personally I didn't even want to evolve a sentient creature, I just wanted to make a frikkin monster. I don't know if it'll be that openended however.

I wonder if they're gonna deemphasize the evolution part of the game so it doesn't scare away the religious extremists...

The initial videos looked like it would be fun to fuck arround with for a while, but now it's looking more and more like it will be too "accessible". Accessible means unchallenging. I'll wait for reviews, but the hype just took a cold shower as far as I'm concerned.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 23:22.

13. No subject Oct 24, 2007, 23:05 Cabezone

"Hardcore"

You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

12. Re: ... Oct 24, 2007, 22:39 AhrimaaN

I don't even understand remotely how Spore looks at all like a decent game.

The creatures look retarded (Yes, because of how you make them) and the gameplay looks.... well non-existent.

I bet you do it once (evolve) and that's it at most for my value out of it.

I really don't get the hype... Maybe it's just because it is Will Wright?

11. ... Oct 24, 2007, 22:01 theyarecomingforyou

I hope the game turns out well, as they're certainly not rushing it. I was never really interested in The Sims but the concept interested me... Spore looks to be like that but more fun. I'm certainly not going to write off the game now or accuse it of being dumbed down for consoles. Also, being made more accessible has to be a good thing for a game like this - there is no plot... it has to be quick and simple to get into it or else you won't bother.

I think people are being overly harsh on it. It was always meant to be a very accessible game... it was never going to be a Civilization style game, though it remains to be seen how far along that scale it goes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

10. Re: No subject Oct 24, 2007, 21:35 Beamer

I've been saying this from the start - I don't see how this will be fun.

From everything Wright has shown us this will be a ton of fun once, but then you've seen all there is to do. It doesn't look like there's enough of a challenge, unlike say Civ or SimCity.

The problem with The Sims is you pretty much couldn't fail. You just succeeded more slowly. That's exactly what this looks like. Only you can't make your two female neighbors put on bikinis, get in the hot tub, make out with your avatar, make out with each other, then uninstall the game two hours after buying it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: No subject Oct 24, 2007, 21:20 HardCore

"I want the people who have played The Sims to be able to play Spore - I don't want it to be some thing just hardcore gamers play."

Translates to - This was always planned to be "Sims Universe".

Hey Will, news flash, anyone with any type of common sense, knew that about the game already. But glad you are letting out of the bag, as some are clueless this was aimed at Sims gamers.

This game won't interest me in the slightest.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 21:24.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo