Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It was ten years ago today that the demo for Quake II was released. It was a 10.8 MB download, which is probably smaller than the read me for more recent releases.

Compact Links! Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Bloons Tower Defense 2. Thanks Jay is Games.
Link of the Morning: Bedroom 747 Man Builds $30,000 Jumbo Jet Simulator in his Bedroom.
Stories: Winehouse held for drug possession. Alanis to cover "Rehab."
Has Adopting Pets Become Too Difficult? It's enough to make a celebrity cry.
NHL players to try out new heated skates.
Science!: Cold weather really does spread flu.
Creating life in the laboratory.
High resolution image hints at 'Mona Lisa's' eyebrows.
Follow-up: Experts says proposed security standards for power grid not enough.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: No subject Oct 21, 2007, 05:54 Halo

Action Quake 2 was probably some of the most fun I've had online.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2007, 22:38 Jojo BoZley

i dont remember the last time i got a rush from playing a game like i did before a clan match would start.
No doubt!
I thought I was old then - about 33 - playin' online with a bunch of teenagers...
I loved being in CTF clan - on a 56k modem!
It was tough, but incredibly fun!

13. No subject Oct 19, 2007, 18:47 LittleMe

Yes I remember the demo coming out. It was a big disappointment because of several reasons including the 10hz keyboard sample rate. The demo and Q2 showed that id wasn't paying attention to its core fan base because the gameplay was so very different from Q1. IMO Q2 sucks donkey balls. What a terrible online game, bu a more enjoyable single player game.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

12. Quake II demo Oct 19, 2007, 18:37 Kxmode

It was a 10.8 MB download, which is probably smaller than the read me for more recent releases.

We can probably blame Microsoft for all the bloat

-----
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
p/reviewer for Game Industry News

11. Re: Bedroom 747 Oct 19, 2007, 18:32 Cutter

Woops, sorry, Dag. Didn't realize you were the focus of the article.

And yes, he's a loser with a capital L.

"Law never made man a whit more just; and by means of their respect for it, even the well disposed are daily made agents of injustice."
-Henry David Thoreau

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

10. Re: Bedroom 747 Oct 19, 2007, 15:12 Krovven

Building the simulator doesnt make him a loser. Building the simulator in his spare bedroom, doesn't make him a loser. Trying to start a business with the simulator doesn't make him a loser.

Not caring that his wife left him over it...that makes him a loser. But really, if his wife can't support him in his ventures, then she shouldn't be his wife.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

9. Re: Bedroom 747 Oct 19, 2007, 14:44 Cutter

Saee what he's charging for people to use it? LOL! I feel sorry for his ex-wife. I'd feel horrible if I married a loser like that.

"Law never made man a whit more just; and by means of their respect for it, even the well disposed are daily made agents of injustice."
-Henry David Thoreau

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

8. Re: Bedroom 747 Oct 19, 2007, 14:07 xXBatmanXx

Man builds cockpit in bedroom, wife leaves him. Surprise.

Seriously, for that money and time, he could have had a hooker come over for an hour every 3 days. Way more fun.

uh - yeah.....so....nothing stinks of loser more than that article.

Why not just get a PT job at the local flight sim arcade?

/edit: This MIGHT just be an elaborate scheme to get rid of his wife! hehehe didn't have the balls to give her the axe - so he had to force her hand. ??? Never know.

http://www.aperturescience.com/
This comment was edited on Oct 19, 14:25.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Bedroom 747 Oct 19, 2007, 13:43 Quboid

Man builds cockpit in bedroom, wife leaves him. Surprise.

Seriously, for that money and time, he could have had a hooker come over for an hour every 3 days. Way more fun.

Quboid

- Quboid

6. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2007, 13:21 4D-Boxing

Morgan19

at least you have an excuse lol... My freshman year was in 1991.

Freshman year of college + more women on campus than people in my home + fake ID = very, very low GPA that year.

5. No subject Oct 19, 2007, 11:41 strich

it seems longer than ten years. Q2 was the one i played most. part of a ctf clan. i dont remember the last time i got a rush from playing a game like i did before a clan match would start.

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

4. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2007, 11:38 Loki

Like Batman I also lost a few years to Q2, lost a few GF's as well.

3. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2007, 11:20 Morgan19

Freshman year of college + Quake 2 + dorm full of friends = very, very low GPA that year.

Good times... I miss that game.

m19

2. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2007, 11:02 xXBatmanXx

Never liked Q2 nearly as much as the original...

I have not put as much time in any game/mod since AQ2.
I "lost" a few years of my life on that damn thing!

Found some pics this weekend on scores I took, where is Ant?

Ant - I want to send over the pics, I think some are from your server, see if you recognize any names.

I think I mostly played as:
geBATMANek
geBATMANek{SOB}
SpAgent74

http://www.aperturescience.com/
This comment was edited on Oct 19, 11:21.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

1. No subject Oct 19, 2007, 10:42 nin

It was ten years ago today that the demo for Quake II was released. It was a 10.8 MB download, which is probably smaller than the read me for more recent releases.

Was there a Q2 test? I can't remember...I thought it came out on a Friday night (but it looks like in 1997 it was a Sunday), but I do remember sitting there, watching the modem blink away, wishing it would hurry the fuck up.

Never liked Q2 nearly as much as the original...

------------------------------------------------
"I feel compelled to comment on Zephalfdkasj's completely irrelevant and lengthy tangent into concealed pistol carry...Rarely is extreme insecurity so painfully, transparently obvious."

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo