Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On BioWare/Pandemic's Future

Gamasutra has coverage of a conference call about today's news that Electronic Arts is acquiring BioWare/Pandemic (story), though the focus is mostly on business. Interesting points are how care had to be taken to avoid conflict of interest for EA CEO John Riccitello, who stands to gain financially from his residual interest in BioWare/Pandemic parent VG Holdings, and how EA will now own the Mass Effect IP, and might (will?) publish follow-ups to the coming release that will be published by Microsoft. There is also a Q&A on the topic on Gamasutra with Josh Resnick, Andrew Goldman, and Greg Borrud of Pandemic Studios who discuss the implications of the move, and express their confidence that they will be able to continue as before under the new ownership.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Oct 12, 2007, 10:50 aldo_14

I bet EA is working on a System Shock sequel after they saw Bioshock doing so well.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/48950

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Oct 12, 2007, 10:28 wtf_man

I haven't bought (or even stolen) an EA game since System Shock 2.

I haven't bought one since Clive Barker's Undying... but yeah... System Shock 2 was the one before that, for me.

24. Re: Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Oct 12, 2007, 10:20 Tumbler

From my reading of it, the "might" is actually about whether or not it'll be EA or MS that publish the next two Mass Effect titles rather than whether or not there will actually be two more titles.

I know that MS have said that they're in talks with EA / Bioware about future publishing rights to the next two games.

You have to give credit to EA for making a smart business decision here, Mass effect is going to be a stunning success unless the world ends before the release date so putting yourself in place to get all the royalties from the next 2 games makes a lot of sense. (plus downloadable content, expansion packs, lunch boxes, pencils, special mountain dew...) I would assume they will get almost nothing from the first title in the end unless it makes more than 660 million! But cranking out sequels is going to earn them boat loads of cash.

We pay 5 dollars to Korean slaves and we get to sell the game for $60 a pop! What a deal! Oh and YOU'RE FIRED.

Best way to stop this is to not buy the sequels. Hopefully they won't be very good...?

Watch Code Monkeys. It's really f-n good.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

23. Re: Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Oct 12, 2007, 10:00 Ging

might. MIGHT??? Mass Effect has been intended to be a trilogy from the very first fucking SECOND it was conceived of by Bioware. And now EA "might" publish follow-ups. Wow, that's fucking fantastic.

From my reading of it, the "might" is actually about whether or not it'll be EA or MS that publish the next two Mass Effect titles rather than whether or not there will actually be two more titles.

I know that MS have said that they're in talks with EA / Bioware about future publishing rights to the next two games.

22. Re: Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Oct 12, 2007, 09:42 Armengar

may god have mercy on their souls

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

21. Re: Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Oct 12, 2007, 09:38 AhrimaaN

You know it'll sell squillions!

20. Re: Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Oct 12, 2007, 09:26 CrimsonPaw

Well, on the bright side, if anything knows anything about pumping out sequels, it's EA.
So we'll get Mass Effect "2" where it's the same story, but a few of the character models have changed and there's one new weapon.

~~Crim~~

19. Re: Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Oct 12, 2007, 09:16 Overon

I bet EA is working on a System Shock sequel after they saw Bioshock doing so well.
A nice on rails sequel perfect for consoles...

18. Re: Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Oct 12, 2007, 09:08 Flo

Well, on the bright side, if anything knows anything about pumping out sequels, it's EA.

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

17. Re: Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Oct 12, 2007, 08:26 Overon

Everything EA touches turns to shit.

It's a sad day for PC gamers and even console gamers everywhere.

Let's all bow our heads for a minute of silence.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 08:26.

16. Re: Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Oct 12, 2007, 03:00 aldo_14

might. MIGHT??? Mass Effect has been intended to be a trilogy from the very first fucking SECOND it was conceived of by Bioware. And now EA "might" publish follow-ups. Wow, that's fucking fantastic.

(what, you want good sequels you say? Ah.....)

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

15. Bioware isn't what it used to be, Oct 12, 2007, 02:42 Toebot

Good riddance. Mass Effect? Was that going to be a PS3 game or not? Irrelevant now, I haven't bought (or even stolen) an EA game since System Shock 2. EA sucks -> Bioware sucks.

14. Re: Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Oct 12, 2007, 02:34 Flo

Sad day. Now the only studios I trust are irrational Take 2 and id Software.  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

13. Re: Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Oct 12, 2007, 02:22 Cutter

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

- Obi-Wan Kenobi

"Law never made man a whit more just; and by means of their respect for it, even the well disposed are daily made agents of injustice."
-Henry David Thoreau

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Oct 12, 2007, 01:52 Creston

EA has owned Bioware for exactly ten seconds, and already they've fucked shit up.

and how EA will now own the Mass Effect IP, and might (will?) publish follow-ups to the coming release that will be published by Microsoft

Can't anybody fucking DO something about EA? In any other business, this kind of fucking absurd consolidation would be met with cries of outrage by congress and lawsuits and fuck knows what all. And yet EA can just buy every single decent developer on the planet and turn them into sequelitis spawning sacks of worthless trash.

FUCK.

Creston

11. soooooooo Oct 12, 2007, 01:38 Kxmode

they're saying there's a chance it might come out on XP? Yes!

-----
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
"BioShock RMX" track posted

10. Re: I wish EA would make a gmae called . Oct 12, 2007, 00:20 Overon

There is also a Q&A on the topic on Gamasutra with Josh Resnick, Andrew Goldman, and Greg Borrud of Pandemic Studios who discuss the implications of the move, and express their confidence that they will be able to continue as before under the new ownership.
Oh yes I'm sure they will be allowed to continue as before...
Dream on, they are just saying that to be nice to the new bosses.

9. Re: I wish EA would make a gmae called ... Oct 11, 2007, 23:50 Ciredric

Well you can kiss Bioware away. Everything EA touches, especially game companies dies.

8. I wish EA would make a gmae called ... Oct 11, 2007, 22:46 Kosumo

a electronic software company ate my hampster

7. Re: Oh Oct 11, 2007, 22:14 HardCore

Normal spin follow-up to prognosticators of doom sounding the death knoll.

We all know what is going to happen, if they can't see the writing on the wall, it's not my problem.

The company owners made a shitload of cash, and are off to the tropics, well atleast buying a house there. The poor devs should polish up those resumes and get out while the going is still good, before EA leaches the life out of them.

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 22:16.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo