Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steamships Ahoy - Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars

Steam News has word that Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars is now available for digital distribution by way of online purchase.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: ... Oct 9, 2007, 19:36 Bone43

We've tested disabling authentication and it works.

Wow just knowing Gabe Newell says not to worry makes me feel much better about my steam account!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: ... Oct 9, 2007, 19:09 Satertek

Quote from Gabe Newell:

"If you right click on a game in Steam, you'll see that you can back up the files yourself. Unless there was some situation I don't understand, we would presumably disable authentication before any event that would preclude the authentication servers from being available.

We've tested disabling authentication and it works."

5. Re: ... Oct 9, 2007, 17:08 Krovven

Off topic, but oh well...I picked up RIP Trilogy last night on Steam, $10 for 3 casual top down shooters that seem pretty fun. Enjoyed the demo, although short. But these games are anything but short. 200 levels for the trilogy, plus different characters, etc.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

4. ... Oct 9, 2007, 17:01 theyarecomingforyou

I am worried about what is going to happen when Steam dies.
Firstly, if that were to happen it would likely be bought up by EA and rolled up into their digital distribution system. Secondly, it is going from strength to strength and there is no reason to think that will stop anytime soon. Thirdly, Valve has stated that should the service ever shutdown in the future that there would be a method that would allow people to continue to play the games - I doubt they have even thought about how but that have reassured people they won't lose access to their games. Obviously that thought has crossed my mind as well but the convenience and practicability of Steam (like not having to deal with disc checks, etc) outweigh the risks, imo - obviously it is for every individual to decide and people are free to disagree strongly.

I prefer buying games over Steam so that I keep them in one place... also, should I need, I can use them anywhere I have access to a computer and a high-speed internet connection. It is also very practical to have games auto-update without intervention. Should Call Of Duty 4 prove to run well (and I have no reason to believe it won't) I will almost certainly be buying that over Steam as well.

Having said that, I have no interest in ET:QW - I didn't find the demo at all enjoyable.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

3. No subject Oct 9, 2007, 16:55 xXBatmanXx

Just beating him to the punch?

heheheheh I don't see his crap anymore - thank you Camaro.....of which, anyone seen Camaro lately?

Rev. Norb: I'd just like to say that four for a dollar Tijuana tacos seemed like a good idea at the time. Please pass the toilet paper.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

2. Pity that I can't give my money... Oct 9, 2007, 16:48 Krovven

...to Valve & id since I'm a dumbass and got my Steam account banned for swearing in a support ticket and then doing nothing about it afterwards.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

1. No subject Oct 9, 2007, 16:19 xXBatmanXx

I am worried about what is going to happen when Steam dies.
Not like, "hey I can't connect to Steam".

But when the service actually stops activity at some point in the future. When we don't have the CDs to install the game ourself, and our accounts are owned by Valve/Steam and their shareholders.

I think digital distribution is great - but at some point, it won't be.

Rev. Norb: I'd just like to say that four for a dollar Tijuana tacos seemed like a good idea at the time. Please pass the toilet paper.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo