Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It's pretty painful to be a Mets fan this morning, but as the team settles into its ignominious place in history, I want to congratulate the Phillies, who did a spectacular job down the stretch, and played like a team that deserved to win. MVP? Jimmy Rollins: no brainer. The Mets on the other hand were a sub-.500 club for most of the season after a hot start, so they spent a lot more time pissing away chances than just the obvious stretch of the past couple of weeks. Oh well, as the sports fan's rally cry always goes, there's always next year.

Collapsing Links! Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Time Raider. Thanks User Friendly and Jay is Games.
Link of the Morning: Should I Stop Playing this Game? A handy flowchart.
Stories: Radiohead to give away new album. Thanks nin.
Sushi craze threatens Mediterranean's giant tuna.
Science!: Children 'recover' from TV harm.
Beef Recall Tops 21 Million Pounds.
Media: How Metal Gear Solid Changed David Hayterís Life.
Golf Physics Lesson from Samuel L. Jackson.
Robot Chicken - Buck Rogers. NSFW. Probably NSFH.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: No subject Oct 2, 2007, 13:58 Bronco

Holy fuck, Bronco's alive!

I guess it could be considered alive. Working more than ever but still managed to add to the family again - four boys now if anyone is keeping track (9yo, 7yo, 6yo and 3 months).

I get a total of 4 hours a week for gaming/relaxing anymore.

-TPFKAS2S
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: No subject Oct 1, 2007, 20:25 Dan =0)

Yeah.. I've been visiting here and there but not posting much nowadays.

Oh yeah, found this vehicle:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/car/436150401.html

A bit on the high mileage, and it's a manual (I've only driven a friend's VW Jetta, which was a manual, once back in 2002)... but it looks nice. And supposedly runs nice.

My computer still hasn't been upgraded/revamped, but I've been looking again at some Core 2 Duo type options I can slowly piece together for ~$350.. nothing astounding, but something that will use my current case and vid card.

EDIT: *Shameless plug* If anyone's in the Boston/metrowest area, the band (Lucretia's Daggers) is playing Oct 5 - Friday - at the Lizard Lounge, and Oct 28 at the Cantab Lounge.... */shameless plug*

Going to Live Chat now...

Dan =0)

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 20:27.

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

22. Re: No subject Oct 1, 2007, 16:35 xXBatmanXx

yeah, well, Bronco wasn't the only one MIA.

We are missing a few others for the last few months.....

Rev. Norb: I'd just like to say that four for a dollar Tijuana tacos seemed like a good idea at the time. Please pass the toilet paper.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

21. Re: No subject Oct 1, 2007, 16:24 nin

Holy fuck, Bronco's alive!

-----------------------------------------------------
Bioshock: "You're soon beset by deranged flappers and dandies, like Jay Gatsby's party guests gone feral."

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

20. Re: No subject Oct 1, 2007, 16:11 The Half Elf

nin I have to ask, wtf are you doing paying for a game that you have probably already played 5 'updated' version of?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

19. Re: No subject Oct 1, 2007, 15:48 PHJF

Oooooohhh... well, that's a mini tower, silly. Of course nothing fits.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: No subject Oct 1, 2007, 15:41 Warhawk

How can you possibly be crunched for space inside an Antec 900? I have an 8800GTX and it works fine.

Mount your hard drives in the lower cage across from the PSU and you won't have any problems.

Make sure you remove the internal 120mm fan mount as well, assuming you aren't using it ( I don't know why you would need to)

No, no, no - The Antec case I am referring to is the one I bought last year for my wife's old machine - not the 900. The 900 is my new case for the new machine.

I think it's this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129150

Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.
This comment was edited on Oct 1, 15:42.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

17. Mets Oct 1, 2007, 15:40 Kxmode

I'm telling ya meatballs on home plate is the key to winning more games!

-----
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
"BioShock RMX" track posted (9/21)
"Fallout" track posted (9/20)

16. Re: No subject Oct 1, 2007, 15:20 PHJF

How can you possibly be crunched for space inside an Antec 900? I have an 8800GTX and it works fine.

Mount your hard drives in the lower cage across from the PSU and you won't have any problems.

Make sure you remove the internal 120mm fan mount as well, assuming you aren't using it ( I don't know why you would need to)

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15. Re: No subject Oct 1, 2007, 14:20 sliv

I was torn on who I wanted to win/lose between the Giants and Eagles last night. Either way, I'm just happy that my Cowboys are sitting undefeated. . .

14. Re: No subject Oct 1, 2007, 14:09 Bronco

'round here the colors are changing. Everything's going from green to red. Well colors are really changing again as all the fans put the Eagles gear aside for the Phillies colors!

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but it really did look like Reed was trying to get McNabb killed last night

-TPFKAS2S

13. Re: Almost there.... Oct 1, 2007, 13:50 xXBatmanXx

Late 2007 machine - Core2Duo Quad Q6600, 4GB RAM, 8800GTS 640MB card, 500GB WD HD, Antec 900 case, Cooler Master Real Power Pro 550W

Go big or go home.

Nice.

Rev. Norb: I'd just like to say that four for a dollar Tijuana tacos seemed like a good idea at the time. Please pass the toilet paper.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

12. Almost there.... Oct 1, 2007, 13:35 Warhawk

So I have almost everything I need to put this new machine together (still waiting on the hard drive - should come in today).

I had two desktop computers at the house - my current machine (2004) and the previous one (2000) my wife was using until we got her the laptop. (See, a new machine about every 4 years, like clockwork, give or take a few months. )

2000 machine - P3 800, 256MB RAM, Ti4200 64MB card
2004 machine - XP2500+, 1 GB RAM, 5700Ultra 128 MB card
Late 2007 machine - Core2Duo Quad Q6600, 4GB RAM, 8800GTS 640MB card, 500GB WD HD, Antec 900 case, Cooler Master Real Power Pro 550W

My sister's father in law could use a machine for basic computer tasks, so I figured he could have the 2000 computer (since we are not using it anymore).

I had gotten a new Antec case/PS for the 2000 computer when the PS died a year or so ago, so I wanted to use that for my 2004 machine and give away the older Enermax case/cheapie PS.

We only used the Antec case/PS for a few months until she got a laptop.

So I rip the guts out of both and put the 2000 parts into the Enermax case/cheapie PS combo and give it to my sister to hand over to her father-in-law. Even threw in an old 19" monitor and cheap mouse/keyboard I scrounged up just to make it all functional. He's moving and his old computer got water damaged, apparently. He's not a very nice guy (very selfish, etc), but I don't mind helping out especially if I can get someone to use older stuff I don't need anymore.

I then go to put the 2004 guts into the Antec case and find out a couple things:

The Antec case is shorter (front to back) and the hard drive cage is right on top of the IDE plugs and other connectors at the edge of the motherboard - tight conditions! I don't like having things basically sitting on top of each other like that.

My old MB has only 3 memory slots, two on one channel and one on another - I would have sworn it had 4. I was using two of the 3 (running dual-channel) already. I just bought two more sticks of RAM to be delivered today - I can only use one (go to 1.5 GB instead of 2, I guess).

The 5700Ultra is also just touching the underside of a hard drive - if the new card I just got for it is any longer I may have to investigate moving one of the drives into a 5.25 bay with rails or something to get everything to fit - at this point I'm not sure. New video card is 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 AGP - keeping this machine as a spare in the garage in case anyone wants an impromptu LAN game - I wired our home network out there too just for this type of possibility.

I guess the moral of the story is to check everything before you give stuff away - maybe I should have kept the old case and just swapped the power supplies out....that was my main concern. I would rather have an almost new Antec SmartPower 350 than a generic 420 (that actually said (230W extended to 420, whatever that means ).

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 14:39.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

11. Mets Oct 1, 2007, 13:21 Killer Kane

..."were a sub-.500 club for most of the season"

In 1st place in the division all year until Sept.!

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis

10. Flowchart Oct 1, 2007, 12:55 DangerDog

[Is game an over hyped piece of shit] -> (Yes) -> [Keep playing]

9. No subject Oct 1, 2007, 12:49 theSAWzall

'round here the colors are changing. Everything's going from green to red. Well colors are really changing again as all the fans put the Eagles gear aside for the Phillies colors!

Hope you got some joy out of the Giants win. Maybe I'll have to become a baseball fan.

8. Mets implosion Oct 1, 2007, 12:20 Fourth Horseman

The third highest payroll in baseball and all the smug chest pounding by Reyes still wasn't enough. Amazing.

7. Radiohead. Oct 1, 2007, 12:16 Bunko

Holy shit. Holy holy holy shit.

Radiohead is awesome.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

6. No subject Oct 1, 2007, 12:11 nin

Japanese version of Super Mario 2 on the VC today! YOINK!

-----------------------------------------------------
Bioshock: "You're soon beset by deranged flappers and dandies, like Jay Gatsby's party guests gone feral."

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. Re: No subject Oct 1, 2007, 11:58 ldonyo

Try living in Kansas City and having to watch the Royals suck like a Hoover year in and year out.

Head Chef & Bottle Washer for LAN Addict - http://www.lanaddict.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo