Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Patch Plans & Creative Audio Issue

The Unofficial World of Warcraft Forums have word on a couple of bugs that fell through the cracks with the version 2.2 patch that was just released for World of Warcraft, Blizzard's MMORPG (thanks Ant). Just a handful of issues are listed, most of them related to the user interface. On a related note, the Creative Labs Forums have word on an issue with the new WoW patch for owners of Creative's sound cards (thanks World of Warcraft News), which don't offer the same audio experience after the new patch introduced a new software mixer. Creative seems a little ticked at Blizzard, and is hoping their users will be ticked too:

As many Creative soundcard owners are discovering, Blizzard recently made changes to the WoW client that have impacted the audio experience significantly. Our developer relations group were given minimal advance warning that these changes were about to occur, and our subsequent requests to Blizzard for clarification as to why the changes were made have gone unanswered.

The new audio implementation in WoW uses a 3rd party audio middleware system which offers a generic software mixer with some reverb effects. Creative has worked with the middleware company in question and already implemented a hardware audio path that enables 3D audio mixing and DSP based effects processing on Audigy and X-Fi cards. "Bioshock" uses this system to great effect, and it is relatively straight forward for developers to support. We have offered to help Blizzard enable this hardware audio path but they haven't taken us up on it.

Many Creative soundcard owners are pointing out that their audio experience is nowhere near as compelling as it used to be, which is a great shame. We will continue to seek a better resolution to the current situation with Blizzard. In the interim, we would encourage Creative soundcard owners to let Blizzard know that they would very much like to have their audio experience restored to its former glory.

View
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

63. Re: Creative sucks? Oct 3, 2007, 08:49 Blackhawk

Ive never had so many bad ones that I blamed Creative for making bad cards.

Creative doesn't make bad cards. They make bad drivers and have bad support for decent cards. There are certain hardware combinations over the years that have been roadblocks with Creative products, and certain software that ran horribly with it.

Creative's ugliness rears its ugly head when you DO have a problem, find out it is shared by thousands, and Creative is nowhere to be found (compare to ATI or Nvidia who address issues every few weeks.)

Their drivers contain so much junk that it takes more time trying to figure out what NOT to install than the whole rest of the process. They most certainly do drop support for old cards way, way too soon in an artificial attempt to force people to upgrade to newer cards before their old ones are even remotely obsolete. They want an upgrade market like exists for graphics cards - every two years - when they make a product that only really needs upgraded every six or eight. They compensate by artificially forcing upgrades on people.

(BTW, I've lost count of how many computers I've built and configured over the years with Creative and non-Creative cards, so I'm speaking from experience myself.)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

62. Re: Creative sucks? Oct 3, 2007, 07:21 Muscular Beaver

There are lots of common PC issues that I've never had. That doesn't make me believe that everyone who has had them is somehow delusional.

I think I have the right to say that, since I have built and configured over 200 computers with creative sound cards since 1996. And never, never (except for that VIA bug) have I ever got complaints about the sound being not working properly. Instead I did get several new customers that had a problem with their old computer. A new config and installation of Windows, and they didnt have that problem anymore, unless their RAM or MB was bad.
Of course there were cards that were bad right from the beginning or went bad after a while. But that was obvious, and Ive never had so many bad ones that I blamed Creative for making bad cards. Ive had as much bad graphic cards and even more bad RAM for example, actually.

Yes, to me thats a very good indication whats really wrong...

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 07:39.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

61. Re: Creative sucks? Oct 2, 2007, 21:22 Blackhawk

Ive never understood people blaming Creative for their problems.

Funnily, all other computers I built and installed/configured never had a problem with creative sound cards either.

So I really doubt most of the so called Creative problems are really Creatives fault.

Funnily, I've never understood why people think 'it didn't happen to me' means 'it doesn't happen'. I ran out onto the highway once as a kid and didn't die, therefore we should let our kids play on the highway. Good logic, eh? I played Russian roulette and didn't die, therefore people don't die playing Russian roulette. Makes lots of sense.

There are lots of common PC issues that I've never had. That doesn't make me believe that everyone who has had them is somehow delusional.

60. Re: Confused Oct 2, 2007, 16:36 Fibrocyte

You should buy a used sound card or no sound. Never buy at retail prices unless you're just plain stupid.

The real reason people don't like me isn't because I'm a troll; it's because I'm a troll that RIGHT!

WOW is a child's game. If you play it, you must be a child.

I don't like you because of your typos, because your views are generally very extreme, and because you needlessly insult people on these forums when no insult was warranted.

Imagine the impact your opinions would have if you conveyed them intelligently...

59. Creative sucks? Oct 2, 2007, 10:25 Muscular Beaver

Ive never understood people blaming Creative for their problems.

Ive had at least 10 different Creative soundcards since 1992 and NEVER had a problem with em (except the VIA bug, which was VIAs shitty chipsets). When I used onboard or some other soundcard brand, I had problems right out of the box.
My computers were always very clean installed and maintained. Funnily, all other computers I built and installed/configured never had a problem with creative sound cards either.
So I really doubt most of the so called Creative problems are really Creatives fault.

Funnily I dont have a huge problem in WoW now either. Sometimes theres a short but silent crackle at the end of sounds. Nothing major, though.
I am using a 7.1 soundsystem too.

Still I hate how Blizzard forces us to use software emulation now. WoW was partly so successful because it had very low system requirements. But Ive seen my FPS drop by up to 10 because of this change... My computer is only 3 years old.
They did it because of the voice chat shit? Funnily it already crystalizes that people hate Blizzards voice chat and stay with Ventrilo or TS2.

I hate Blizzard. Blizzard North was very good, but since they are gone, its just a bunch of morons now. who dont think ahead 2 inches. Every single patch screws something up. Thank god it was not the balance again. Oh wait... AVs now suck extremely for Alliance. Geez...

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

58. No subject Oct 1, 2007, 18:06 Skullguise

I usa a Razer Barracuda after abandoning my Audigy 4 pro. SB refuses to update drivers regularly. Instead they release a new card every so often and then update the drivers maybe once if you are lucky.

The Barracuda has an EMI shield on it. It actually works for me. With my Audigy I could hear interference in headphones whenever I moved my mouse. Weird but true. I also use the Razer 5.1 headphones.

The site
http://www.razerzone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_16&products_id=41

57. Better for me Oct 1, 2007, 17:56 Howin

The 2.2 patch for WoW improved the sound for me. I have a SB Audigy card, before the sound revamp 5.1 never worked and if I enabled any sound ' effects ' it would drop my frame rate.

After the patch 5.1 worked right away, I got reverb back and my frame rate.

56. Re: Confused Oct 1, 2007, 17:03 Zephalephelah

You should buy a used sound card or no sound. Never buy at retail prices unless you're just plain stupid.

The real reason people don't like me isn't because I'm a troll; it's because I'm a troll that RIGHT!

WOW is a child's game. If you play it, you must be a child.

55. Confused Oct 1, 2007, 15:46 Kxmode

I didn't see anything wrong with Vent or TeamSpeak except perhaps the issue of not knowing who's speaking in PUGs.

-----
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
"BioShock RMX" track posted (9/21)
"Fallout" track posted (9/20)

54. No subject Oct 1, 2007, 15:19 manic half

i use creative because it sounds the best. ive never had a problem with any creative stuff. (tho im not here to defend them, they have how hopeless they are with drivers/support for the world to see on their forums)

i've tried onboard stuff and it just does not cut it for me.

53. Re: People still buy sound cards? Oct 1, 2007, 14:17 Elrix

The game sounded much better on my X-Fi card with hardware support.

2.2 works, but I noticed the sound quality reduction almost immediately. If the game sounded as good as before, I wouldn't care but it doesn't, so I hope Blizzard and Creative can work something out.

52. No subject Oct 1, 2007, 14:09 fujiJuice

Onboard is definitely the way to go, its been atleast 5 or 6 years since I refused to buy another creative product, and smooth sailing has prevailed ever since.

Gigabyte makes fantastic boards with a very nice onboard setup, for the most part my experience has been Realtek technology, but they might have other types as well I don't know.

Direct 6 channel audio, optical, coaxial, DTS and Dolby Digital, all built in, there really is no excuse to use Creative anymore over onboard audio.

51. Re: People still buy sound cards? Oct 1, 2007, 12:23 MMORPGHoD

I'd like to think I'll be happy with onboard sound from the next MB I get. Otherwise, I'll stay with my M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card. It's technically not targeted for gaming like the creative cards are, but it works.. unlike my Audigy 2ZS. I cannot tolerate BSODs in the middle of my games, no matter how many bells and whistles the sound card might have. And yes, I spent a ton of time trying different drivers, PCI slot positions, and various IRQ combinations (by disabling various devices) before I gave up on my creative card.

50. Re: People still buy sound cards? Oct 1, 2007, 11:57 PHJF

Onboard audio has come a long way ("HD audio") but it eats up processor power and is more prone to electrical interference. And again, as far as games go, you are still stuck in the dark ages of acceleration.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

49. Re: People still buy sound cards? Oct 1, 2007, 11:54 nin

Even a cheap creative card is better than your onboard one.

I used to think that, but I've been cruising along with an onboard for a few months now, with no issues at all...

-----------------------------------------------------
Bioshock: "You're soon beset by deranged flappers and dandies, like Jay Gatsby's party guests gone feral."

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

48. Re: People still buy sound cards? Oct 1, 2007, 11:48 Fibrocyte

Haven't bought one since the 90s, and all my sound related issues went away.

Even a cheap creative card is better than your onboard one.

Other than that, I agree w/ the rest of the thread that their driver support is crap. I can't comment on their high-end products because I've never bought one.

47. Re: No subject Oct 1, 2007, 11:46 PHJF

PHJF: The Prelude is just a Creative XFi with Auzen's custom software/drivers running the Dolby/DTS.

LOL no it isn't.

The only thing the Prelude has in common with a Creative Labs card is the X-Fi processor. The card is nothing like an X-Fi.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

46. Re: No subject Oct 1, 2007, 11:23 vangual

TheMaTiC: While it may not have been the real main reason, the voicechat module does require the "Ex" version of FMOD, thus making this "upgrade" (speak: downgrade) necessary.

Post form tigerclaw (one of the blizzard coders):
2.2 does include a new revision of the basic sound engine that is not connected with voice chat. It also includes the new voice chat technology which is a separate effort, but it does rely on the new sound engine to function.
Source: http://wow.curse.com/devtracker/1/en/details/41868/

45. Re: No subject Oct 1, 2007, 10:55 Orogogus

I had an Ultrasound, which cost $100. I think the main thing keeping it from taking off was all the hoops you had to jump through to get Sound Blaster emulation and wavetable support running at the same time, while still keeping SMARTDRV, a CD-ROM driver and a mouse driver afloat in the bad old days of DOS. It was kind of hard.

44. Re: No subject Oct 1, 2007, 09:20 MacD

Back in, what, the early nineties?, you could get a
Gravis UltraSound which supported 1024 channels, for the paltry sum of about $50. It was a revolutionary piece of hardware which never took off because people couldn't believe something that cheap was that good. The XFi is nearly on that level...about twenty years later.

63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo