Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: bungie spin doctor Sep 30, 2007, 20:53 Steele Johnson

The game is great. I could give a rat's ass about the resolution.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Resolution Sep 30, 2007, 00:55 The Half Elf

To me honestly it was night and day difference when using the Bioshock Widescreen hack/program/thingie.

As for people not caring about the issue with Halo 3, considering I've been very on the fence about getting a 360 VGA adapter and hooking it into the secondary port on my wide screen moniter I've actually kinda surprised. Considering how this is Microsoft's Flagship 360 game and franchise.
And the response on the Bungie and Xbox forums about the resolution is causing enough of an uproar that Bungie directly commented on it.

But then again Halo is the biggest 'bait and switch' franchise Microsoft has going for it. Anyone remember the sweet E3 demo of Halo 2 that was not in the game? Or that everything that has been shown in commercials isn't in the game either. Or in the Halo E3 sneak peak. Actually Cortana's voice bits from the commercial are in the game but that's about it.

Halo 3 has no ending, and if anything it's a pretty straight forward recycled from Halo 1.

Anyway, Bungie's comments on the issue as as fucked up as Rockstar's blaming the hackers for Hot Coffee.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: Resolution Sep 29, 2007, 19:19 Ecthelion

I loved Bioshock, didn't bother me a bit about the whole widescreen/not widescreen thing.
I loved it too, and the widescreen didn't bother me that much (but I used the "true" widescreen hack, so that might be why). I just think it's strange that developers continue to be rather underhanded like this, and when people start to bitch about it, they have to make excuses for it.

But you're right - I doubt anyone will really care. Most Halo fanboys would have been happy if Halo 3 looked exactly the same as Halo 2, so I'm sure they don't mind this.

6. Re: Resolution Sep 29, 2007, 15:22 Tumbler

It'll be interesting to see if console gamers believe this crappy explanation.

I doubt anyone will care to be honest. My room mate, who hasn't really been into any games I've played, sat and watched me play Halo 3 for a few hours last night and was really interested in playing this one because of the graphics.

Whatever the X factor is in this game, it works. Playing Co-Op is a lot of fun and the graphics are not bad by any stretch. Developers can pull whatever kind of tricks they want if this is the end result.

I loved Bioshock, didn't bother me a bit about the whole widescreen/not widescreen thing.

Watch Code Monkeys. It's really f-n good.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

5. Resolution Sep 29, 2007, 14:19 Ecthelion

First we had Bioshock's fake widescreen, and now this. It'll be interesting to see if console gamers believe this crappy explanation. PC gamers have shown themselves to not be so easy to please (which can be a bad thing in some cases).

4. ... Sep 29, 2007, 12:49 theyarecomingforyou

So Halo 3 renders at a lower resolution and then scales up? Last time I check that was NOT a good thing, especially for LCDs (the majority of hi-def TVs out there). And their excuse is HDR? Last time I checked Valve managed it without fucking over people's resolutions. The simple answer is that they couldn't optimise the engine enough so they just bumped down the resolution to maintain the framerate. That bypasses Microsoft's whole "720p minimum" requirement and defeats the point of hi-def gaming. It's also deceiving when they were putting out amazing looking screenshots at 1920x1200 (1080p) and the box says it supports 720p / 1080i / 1080p. I wish they would clearly state the resolution it renders and not list every hi-def mode, as the X360 can/should handle any scaling required.

All in all this is Class A bullshit. Pretty disappointing for the biggest X360 game to date. I played it a couple of days ago and thought the graphics in-game were pretty decent, though the cutscenes really highlighted the low-res textures and aliasing on surface edges - there was also some dodgy bump-mapping. The TF2/Source 2007 engine is much better.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

3. No subject Sep 29, 2007, 12:46 BlueF

We would ignore it entirely were it not for the internet’s propensity for drama where none exists. In fact the reason we haven’t mentioned this before in weekly updates, is the simple fact that it would have distracted conversation away from more important aspects of the game, and given tinfoil hats some new gristle to chew on as they cataloged their toenail clippings

Drama king or not, this is a pretty damn funny dismissal of nay sayers.

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 12:46.

2. Re: bungie spin doctor Sep 29, 2007, 11:58 Parallax Abstraction

I love it. Luke Smith when he worked for 1UP.com was the king of starting stupid Internet dramas because he could (like his "The Wii is a peripheral" thing or constant ragging on Sony) and now he's blaming Internet drama as the reason why people are wondering why Halo 3 is short-changing the resolution? If he was still at 1UP.com and this was a PS3 game people were talking about, he'd be the first one calling for blood. His ability to be a complete hypocrite is astounding.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Help Fix The Broken Xbox Live Marketplace: http://brokenxblm.blogspot.com

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

1. bungie spin doctor Sep 28, 2007, 20:06 zirik

two frame buffers does not increase the resolution. unless they are interlacing. what a bunch of crap explanation.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo