Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis Beta Issues - Updated

Crysis Beta - Update and Clarification on inCrysis offers some background on how the beta key distribution for Crysis works, clarifying that the requirement that participants be paid subscribers at IGN was "out of complete respect for the community and wanting to ensure the community also got access to the beta test." Update: That beta update also discusses issues delivering keys to beta participants, but this was about keys for inCrysis VIPs, not the paid IGN subscribers, so that quote has been removed to avoid further confusion. Apologies for the mix-up.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: ... Sep 24, 2007, 00:17 Prez

I guess I'm weird. I don't have any interest in trying unoptimized games. I don't have a top of the line rig anyway (can't afford one), so it doesn't help if the beta runs so poorly that I avoid buying it out of fear of not being able to run it.

I also don't begrudge the Fileplanet/beta business model at all. I am not interested in beta's, even when I am VERY interested in the game(TF2 and Crysis, for example).

As my Jedi Master once told me, "Patience you must learn!!!"

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. ... Sep 23, 2007, 13:04 theyarecomingforyou

Doesn't seem like that is the case anymore. Beta's are the new demo's. That is why sites like Fileplanet keep hosting them under pay only access. People want to try these games now, not later and having a beta process gets the word out, all the review sites post previews and impressions. You're kidding yourself if you think a beta is not a marketing tool.
Exactly. It's a clever situation - they limit access, generate hype AND earn money from the deal. Fileplanet gets extra subscribers and everyone in the loop is happy - everyone without a subscription is left slightly bitter, though not enough to avoid the game.

Fileplanet has got their marketing right. Before the exclusive betas they were just a pay-to-download-demos site in a market with plenty of free alternatives - now they have an angle.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

27. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2007, 11:55 Tumbler

Betas are not marketing tools, they are used to eliminate bugs and balance gameplay, this is why they are TESTS. These things are not demos, they are a part of the development process.

Doesn't seem like that is the case anymore. Beta's are the new demo's. That is why sites like Fileplanet keep hosting them under pay only access. People want to try these games now, not later and having a beta process gets the word out, all the review sites post previews and impressions. You're kidding yourself if you think a beta is not a marketing tool.

You think they left out aircraft on the crysis map by coincidence? they did the same thing on Frontlines, that is the hook, you like our game, well in order to try the aircraft you gotta drop some dollars!

It's possible they will add the aircraft later but I think the game will sell really well even if they don't.

Watch Code Monkeys. It's really f-n good.
This comment was edited on Sep 23, 11:57.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

26. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2007, 11:12 Beaner

Crysis SP will be great, I think. Never expected the Multiplay to be great, especially when you are trying to push out Crysis style graphics. And yes like others mentioned TF2 is great. In some ways better than ETQ demo.

25. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2007, 05:36 Kamakazie

Betas are not marketing tools, they are used to eliminate bugs and balance gameplay, this is why they are TESTS. These things are not demos, they are a part of the development process.

24. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2007, 03:55 dubfanatic

Maybe I don't understand the concept of a "beta", but I don't think it can be used as a guide as to how a game will run on your current PC.

Sounds to me like you understand exactly what a beta is. These are just marketing tools, and I wouldn't be surprised if part of the motivation behind it was to spur (unnecessary) computer upgrades by gamers who don't understand the software development cycle.

hey thats an idea. how about not making false statements. too bad you are not capable of reading and comprehension. lord knows that would be a stupid assumption.

Look out, we've got an intellectual giant around these parts.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 03:55.

23. No subject Sep 23, 2007, 02:35 DangerDog

DangerDog: Where? I don't see a way to upgrade my freebie account for a day. I got to http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/crysis/beta/sub3_2.aspx where it asks me to subscribe to three different plans of subscriptions. I also see "No Thanks!" which takes me to FilePlanet's home page.

Sorry Ant, my bad. I think I got the invite through inCrysis. I guess it rubs salt into the wound knowing that some don't have to pay, funny thing is I already paid so oh well.

22. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2007, 02:27 zirik

That's right cause they are forcing you to purchase a subscription to Fileplanet. How dare they do such an underhanded thing. Too bad your incapable of thinking on your own and deciding NOT to purchase a fileplanet subscription. Lord knows what would happen then.

hey thats an idea. how about not making false statements. too bad you are not capable of reading and comprehension. lord knows that would be a stupid assumption.

21. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2007, 02:24 Prez

Maybe I don't understand the concept of a "beta", but I don't think it can be used as a guide as to how a game will run on your current PC.

I think that's what demo's are intended for, no? Anyway, I am holding my upgrade decision until there's a full, patched (i.e. stable) release with an ample number of positive game reviews.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 02:24.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2007, 02:20 PropheT

I agree that Crysis mp is boring. And don't give me that "It's still beta" bullshit people. I instantly felt like I was playing BF2 or the ET:QW beta again. Nothing new and poor game mechanics. So far it's right next to SupCom in the "I tried really hard to like it" category.

I'll second or third that or whatever we're up to now.

I actually prefer ET:QW, and I didn't care for that much either.

19. No subject Sep 23, 2007, 00:12 Hump

Welp, so much for the beta. The IRC punks have got the usual cheats working already (aimbots, skins, sky hack, transparent mesh, etc etc).

I just got in the Fronlines: Fuel of War beta and its pretty fun (when it works). Let's see how long that one lasts before the little dickheads ruin that as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

18. Re: No subject Sep 22, 2007, 22:52 dubfanatic

I agree that Crysis mp is boring. And don't give me that "It's still beta" bullshit people. I instantly felt like I was playing BF2 or the ET:QW beta again.

but... but... the graphics! That's all you're supposed to pay attention to!

17. Re: No subject Sep 22, 2007, 22:10 Tumbler

I'm really struggling with upgrading my pc for the latest round of games. It's been great timing buying the 8800 GTS this month because all these beta's started dropping and I can see what kind of performance it gets on newer stuff.

I started with an AMD 3200 and upgraded to a 4000 and the experience is a lot better but it's still way below what I need to get the most out of these games.

I'm guessing a dual core 3GHZ is probably a safe bet now and for the near future. If I go amd that processor costs about $175 after tax and such, Intel costs almost $300, plus a Sli motherboard should be at least $75, plus upgraded memory, 2 GB should be around $80..? Plus my 8800 GTS was $300 So I'm looking at spending between $600-$800 depending on which processor I want to upgrade my computer. That seems crazy for what these games offer. Yeah they look great but $600-$800?!

I haven't been impressed enough by these games to drop that kind of cash. (Frontlines, Crysis, Opposing Fronts, POTBS (Boy did that SUCK!) Tabula Rasa, Supreme Commander, ET:QW) I should try Hellgate london too but have to wait for entrance into beta...

Oh and apparently I need Vista to get Crysis the way it shoudl be?! So another $100. WHAT A FUCKING DEAL!

Watch Code Monkeys. It's really f-n good.
This comment was edited on Sep 22, 22:13.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

16. Re: No subject Sep 22, 2007, 21:35 ShadyPete

Well, I played TF2 for a couple hours this morning, had a blast as always.
Just jumped into Crysis MP for 40min or so. Compared to TF2, Crysis MP is just boring.

I agree that Crysis mp is boring. And don't give me that "It's still beta" bullshit people. I instantly felt like I was playing BF2 or the ET:QW beta again. Nothing new and poor game mechanics. So far it's right next to SupCom in the "I tried really hard to like it" category.

15. No subject Sep 22, 2007, 17:54 Cabezone

Yeah consoles are pretty much locked onto medium settings for most games, especially shooters. That and small maps.

I't supposed to run pretty decent in XP, I can't say for sure, but it seems that most XP people are happy with it.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

14. Re: No subject Sep 22, 2007, 17:36 Ant

DangerDog: Where? I don't see a way to upgrade my freebie account for a day. I got to http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/crysis/beta/sub3_2.aspx where it asks me to subscribe to three different plans of subscriptions. I also see "No Thanks!" which takes me to FilePlanet's home page.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

13. No subject Sep 22, 2007, 17:29 DangerDog

But you are playing on medium settings, consoles don't offer adjustments, not that many anyway.

The performance of a Beta PC game isn't any worse than a Beta for a console game it's just now you read more about it because Beta's are becoming more popular on the PC though the console gamers are getting exposed to more betas all the time.

12. Re: No subject Sep 22, 2007, 17:21 Xenopulse

And that whole video card discussion above is why I've decided to stick with console gaming for graphics-intense game. I can afford to buy a console every 5 years. I can't afford to buy an 8800GTS just to play something on "medium" settings every two.

11. No subject Sep 22, 2007, 17:07 DangerDog

You don't have to pay for a fileplanet subscription, the beta invites going out now include a one day upgrade to your fileplanet account so you can download the beta FREE.

EA is evil blah, blah, blah. Carry on.

10. Re: No subject Sep 22, 2007, 16:45 dubfanatic

That's right cause they are forcing you to purchase a subscription to Fileplanet. How dare they do such an underhanded thing. Too bad your incapable of thinking on your own and deciding NOT to purchase a fileplanet subscription. Lord knows what would happen then.

Gamers have no free will when it comes to pretty shiny graphics. They'll kick and scream but they'll still pony up the cash to beta test games (something I got re-imbursed to do in middle school)

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 16:45.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo