Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Evochron Renegades Announced

The Evochron Renegades Website is live, revealing plans for a new installment in the Evochron series of space combat games from StarWraith (thanks Gamer's Hell). Here's word from the FAQ:

- Evochron Renegades is the sequel to Evochron Alliance with a lot of design aspects heavily influenced by player feedback and requests. It is a first person 3D space combat, trader, and mercenary simulation. You can make diverse buying, fighting, and travelling decisions in a large universe without the hesitation of turn-based gameplay or the reduced immersion of an overhead/outside view. You are literally in the action with a consistent first person viewpoint and make all gameplay decisions directly from the cockpit.

The main goal of the game's design is to provide the only freeform space-sim that lets you buy, trade, negotiate, bribe, spy, race, transport, mine, explore, recruit, design your ship, and protect in an open, seamless universe (without loading screens or sudden environment flipping) also without system 'walls' or required jump/warp gates. Freedom, interaction, and gameplay choices are the priorities of the game's design. Fly where you want, when you want, and complete a wide variety of activities to advance in the game and make your fortune.

Evochron Renegades offers many unique space combat and trading elements, including a real-time dynamic changing economy, seamless environment transitions, multi-level threat system, commodity/item trading, ship-to-ship trading in all gameplay modes, planetary descents, diverse control support (Mouse, Keyboard, AND Joystick control options), unrestricted open space jump drive travel and navigation system, realistic Newtonian physics, fuel resource management, per ship bribing, realistic revolving inventory availability, in-cockpit inventory and trade management, gravity effects, AI based trade negotiating, and more.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: No subject Sep 15, 2007, 08:59 sc4r4b

Same here Hump... X2 and Darkstar One. That's why I have yet to buy a StarWraith game. If the game had a larger community I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

On a side note, these games are all created by one guy in his spare time. Sure he has some help, but still... I wonder what he could do with a team and some money backing him.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Ya know what I really miss? Sep 15, 2007, 00:29 The Half Elf

I miss in Xwing when you completed a mission and landed your ship and got to see how shot up it was. Same thing in Star Trek Bridge Commander, limping back to a starbase and looking at all the holes in your ship.

WE NEED MORE OF THIS IN SPACE SIMS!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

5. No subject Sep 14, 2007, 23:28 Wolfox

I'm taking part in the Beta and Renegades is the best Starwraith game yet. The premise is kind of like Evochron, but highly evolved to a seamless universe, with great combat AI, and lots of exploration to do.

The demo should be available soon enough, and I strongly advise you to try it. If you don't want to wait for the demo to be available (it shouldn't take too long now), you can always try the latest Evochron Alliance demo to have a preliminary idea of the game (though I repeat: Renegades has been considerably improved over Evochron Alliance).

4. No subject Sep 14, 2007, 23:22 space captain

Evochron has been around for a number of years already, they are certainly heading in the right direction for a freeform spacesim, with a focus on dogfighting

it might take another version before it becomes something really bigtime tho, altho when it does make that jump it has serious potential to be a classic

slightly OT, id love to see a 3D version of Space Rangers.. the gameplay is already there, in full effect, and in spades.. if they made a jump to 3D sim-style it would be insanely sweet

Go forth, and kill!

3. Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 23:09 Aero

This is, overall, my favorite genre for computer games. There hasn't been a really good one in a while though. X3's interface is a little clunky and the universe feels sterile; Freelancer had a great universe but the game play was too simplified (there were some mods that improved it though); I didn't try Dark Star (is that it?) but heard bad things.

I imagine it's a little harder these days to create a good one. Older classics like Elite and Privateer worked because it was just accepted that you would have to use your imagination in lieu of fancy graphics. These days we have the graphics, but that means they need a huge library of art and media assets. They actually need to build a universe in its entirety which, I imagine, is no small feat.

However, I believe there is the potential to create an amazing space-sim, but it would take a lot of work. From their description, it sounds like they are on the right track. I've never played an Evochron game, but I have high hopes and I hope I'm not disappointed.

I'd heard rumors a new version of Elite was in the works, does anybody know anything about this? Of course, I've been hearing those rumors for years now.

Love,
Aero

2. No subject Sep 14, 2007, 22:57 Hump

The last two spacesims I put my faith in disappointed me like hell. I'll wait on this.

Looks like it has a neat Wing Commander style to it tho.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

1. No subject Sep 14, 2007, 21:51 sc4r4b

Tried the demo of one of Evochron Alliance recently and I really like where it's going... Nice physics, AI, gameplay, and the graphics aren't bad. It's nice to finally find a spacesim game where you can enter an atmosphere and land on a planet.

I'll probably buy this version.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo