Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts

Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts Goes Gold For PC announces completion of development on the World War II RTS expansion. The game has carried a fall release window since it was announced (story), but the announcement does not yet narrow that down:

THQ Inc. today announced Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts, developed by award-winning Real-Time Strategy (RTS) developer Relic Entertainment, has reached the gold master stage of development and is now entering manufacturing. Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts is the next installment in one of the highest-rated RTS franchises of all time, building on the success of the original Company of Heroes with two new armies and vastly enhanced multiplayer options. Developed for Windows PC, the game is expected to begin shipping to retail outlets in North America later this month. "Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts delivers the most cinematic and intense RTS experience available on any platform," said Kevin Kraff, director of global brand management, THQ. "Relic Entertainment's reputation is legendary among strategy gamers and Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts blasts away all previous benchmarks for brutally dynamic battlefield action."

"Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts is a massive game, featuring two new campaigns with more campaign content than the original, significant enhancements to our proprietary Essence engine, and two totally unique new armies for multiplayer action," said Tarrnie Williams, general manager, Relic Entertainment. "We've consistently redefined the standard for excellence in the RTS genre over the last five years, and Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts represents another leap forward in technology and strategic gameplay."

Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts is the next chapter in the critically acclaimed Company of Heroes franchise. Players take command of the German Panzer Elite as they struggle against the might of the Allied forces, or lead the British 2nd Army in the vicious battle for Caen, France. Internally developed by Relic Entertainment, this standalone title does not require the original Company of Heroes to play, features two unique armies with full length campaigns, new multiplayer options when combined with the original Company of Heroes, Microsoft DirectX 10 support, mission persistence, improved vehicle and soldier AI, enhanced physics and a dynamic weather system. Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts is fully compatible with the original Company of Heroes, allowing players to wage war with four unique armies.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. http://ijsahfadsihfisafhs May 23, 2008, 05:15 cxb

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 29, 08:34.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Can't play online. Sep 12, 2007, 21:50 Ant

And the company says I have a very old router (Netgear RT311 router). I guess no buy for me.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

18. title Sep 12, 2007, 20:42 Fausticle

The title reminds me of two pairs of tits battling it out for domination.

Oh and fuck WW2! Give us DoW2!

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 20:45.

17. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2007, 20:31 Krovven

Wait a sec, where is Riley and company complaining about the price?

For $5 more I get 3 games from Valve.

----------------------------------------------------
Day of Defeat Source and S.T.A.L.K.E.R

16. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2007, 19:52 Prez

I expect that to be the theme of the second expansion. And I'll probably get it - CoH is great.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

15. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2007, 18:48 PropheT

I'd much rather be fighting house to house with Russian troops. Upgrading your troops so they actually have rifles while partaking in human wave attacks backed up by T-34 tanks which were just rolled off the assembly line without paint or gun sights would be much more appealing.

I gotta agree. I'll still buy Opposing Fronts just because I loved CoH, but I'd really have loved to have seen Russian vs. Germans in the snow instead.

14. Re: Eastern front... Sep 12, 2007, 15:57 KaRRiLLioN

Technically, this is a standalone game, not an expansion of any sort. I've been playing the beta, but am not impressed by the new units. There are serious balance issues that will need to be patched. I still play COH online a lot, and while there are balance issues on it, it's nothing compared to OF's problems.

13. Eastern front... Sep 12, 2007, 15:27 Ray Ban

I'm betting on a second expansion one year from now, closely followed by DoW2!  
"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

12. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2007, 15:22 Sphinx

Am I the only one who is befuddled as to why they didn't make an Eastern Front campaign rather than another Western Front campaign? I mean come on, now we'll have to stop at midday for a tea and crumpets with these Limey troops! "So sorry Leftenant, we can't take that hill right now, we're about to listen to the BBC while drinking some earl grey. And poor Johnny over there just dropped his monocle."

I'd much rather be fighting house to house with Russian troops. Upgrading your troops so they actually have rifles while partaking in human wave attacks backed up by T-34 tanks which were just rolled off the assembly line without paint or gun sights would be much more appealing.

http://www.sphinx-sanitarium.com

11. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2007, 14:50 Ecthelion

Guess it's time to install CoH again!
You don't actually need to, because the expansion is standalone.

They're listing the ship date for the game; it'd be available in stores on the 25th.
That's true of EB Games, but Amazon has the misleading "This item will be released on September 24, 2007" line. Unless they're actually shipping on 9/23, they should say it will be released on the "in-store" date. This is what I don't get about games. CDs and DVDs don't list a "ship date" - they list the date they are in stores. Why can't games do the same thing?

By the way, did anybody notice the price? $40 for this one, and though I realize it's standalone, it's higher than any other expansion I've seen. They should include the original game too for that price.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 14:52.

10. No subject Sep 12, 2007, 14:35 PropheT

I saw that (although Amazon and EB Games both say 9/24, not 9/25).

They're listing the ship date for the game; it'd be available in stores on the 25th.

9. Re: w00t! Sep 12, 2007, 14:26 Krovven

Recently picked a new computer, and have been tempted so many times to enter the Fileplanet beta. I held off as I wanted to really enjoy the expansion.

Guess it's time to install CoH again!

----------------------------------------------------
Day of Defeat Source and S.T.A.L.K.E.R

8. Re: w00t! Sep 12, 2007, 13:23 Mark

Actually the release does narrow the date down somewhat stating that the game will "begin shipping to retail outlets in North America later this month." which corresponds to the widely reported 9/24 or 9/25 street-date that's been widely used for some time.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 13:25.

7. Re: w00t! Sep 12, 2007, 11:26 Flo

Uh oh releases on Halo 3 Date and I got a 360....which means I'm getting Opposing Fronts of course
I love my 360 but there are really better games than Halo...on any platform.

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

6. Re: w00t! Sep 12, 2007, 11:15 Ecthelion

Hitler is about to become my bitch....again
This time you get to play for the Germans too. If you play the campaigns in the order they're always shown in (German then British), you'll be Hitler's bitch first, THEN you'll make him yours.

5. Re: w00t! Sep 12, 2007, 10:59 Coolone

Hitler is about to become my bitch....again

4. Re: w00t! Sep 12, 2007, 10:54 Ecthelion

Comes out the 25th, of this month.
I saw that (although Amazon and EB Games both say 9/24, not 9/25). But still it's strange that the press release doesn't mention a release date. In fact, the official website doesn't even have a release date that I could find.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 10:55.

3. Re: w00t! Sep 12, 2007, 10:29 quellex

Comes out the 25th, of this month.

2. Re: w00t! Sep 12, 2007, 09:46 Ecthelion

Since when does a gold announcement fail to mention a specific release date? It's the first one I've seen like that. Odd.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this one too. I really hope they don't overdo the German voiceovers in the German campaign though. That seems to be normal in English-language games.

1. w00t! Sep 12, 2007, 09:39 Fugazi

Really looking forward to this expansion.

The CRTC needs to be destroyed.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo