Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hellgate: London Lifetime Subscription Fee Revealed

The Hellgate: London Pre-order Benefits Page drops the other shoe on news that preorders would include a "Founder's Club" lifetime subscription offer (story), and it's a pretty expensive shoe, at that. The update reveals a $149.99 price tag for this lifetime subscription, adding codicils that clarify that the online game's lifetime is the span of the offer, rather than the user's lifetime, and that this span is completely undetermined, as "the online subscription component may be cancelled at any time, without any refunds or other compensation to the user." Word is:

Eligibility for the Hellgate: London Founders Offer
This limited-time offer allows you to make a one-time purchase of $149.99 USD to upgrade your Live online account to a lifetime subscription*. Please note that this offer expires after November 30, 2007. The Founders Offer will be available to you on your Account Management page once the retail game ships and you log into your Live account.

* "Lifetime Subscription" refers to the lifetime of the online subscription component for Hellgate: London, not the user's lifetime. Lifetime Subscription memberships are only available until November 30, 2007 for pre-order purchasers of Hellgate: London from participating retailers. Prior to purchasing a Lifetime Subscription, the purchasers of the Hellgate: London must complete their purchase of the Hellgate: London software and create a Hellgate: London online subscription account. The user acknowledges and agrees that: (a) the Hellgate: London online component, including, but not limited to the online subscription component may be cancelled at any time, without any refunds or other compensation to the user; (b) the Lifetime Subscription does not automatically grant access to expansions of Hellgate: London which are sold as individual products, as such products must be purchased separately; (c) the user must accept and abide by the End User License Agreement for Hellgate: London and the Terms of Service, Code of Conduct and Privacy Policy for the Hellgate: London online component, as each are modified from time to time, at all times prior to the purchase of a Lifetime Subscription; and (d) in addition to the foregoing, Ping0, LLC retains the right to cancel a Lifetime Subscription as set forth in the Terms of Service to the Hellgate: London online component.

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

56. Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 17:44 g_mann

Andvari gives Britians a bad name.

Yes I am the same G-mann dorkhead
This comment was edited on Sep 14, 17:46.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. No subject Sep 13, 2007, 16:09 nightfend

A lifetime fee for a game like WoW or LotRo is fine. There are plenty of people that will play these games for several years and get their money worth. But Hellgate: London? Come on. This game is fairly shallow compared to other MMO's. I really don't think there's enough substance here for anyone to play more than 6 months at most.

And, to top it off, they are planning to release expansions that you will still have to pay for on top of the lifetime fee.

54. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2007, 13:51 Overon

I don't like microtransactions or these new pricing schemes. I remember the days when all this stuff used to be part of the price of the game.

Every software developer/publisher wants to turn software into a service. I hope PC gaming software never completely turns that way.

Death to microtransactions and death to paying for software as if it was a service (I'm looking at you hellgate london).

I too do not want to see this kind of pricing model succeed so I won't shed a tear when Hellgate London fails. I know that's harsh but I have to be honest.

I wish the people who were not involved in the decision to create this pricing scheme the best but if Hellgate London fails they will unfortunately be hurt.

53. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2007, 09:10 AhrimaaN

That would be a stronger statement if you replaced Valve with Gabe Newell

52. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2007, 00:18 Creston

Maybe someone/some game with a proven track record could possibly get a pass with a pricing scheme like this

You know Valve is eyeing this pricing scheme like it's fucking candy.

Creston

51. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2007, 00:17 Creston

I wear a foam helmet...

Don't worry son, that'll pass as you get a bit older

Big surprise that some waste of an IP address called hellgateguru would have unimaginative little turds whining about people not liking their precious godlike game. Hope you kids enjoy playing online, all six of you! Be sure to get your check for 150 dollars sent in. Then we can all laugh at you when the game is cancelled after six months, and you just wasted 90 bucks that you could have spent on a hooker so you could finally get laid.

Those are some really long, run-on sentences. Oh well.

Creston

50. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2007, 22:34 AhrimaaN

interesting interview with roper: http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2007/09/12/the-bill-roper-interview-part-iii.aspx

now ok, this I do not agree with. They call Diablo 2 an MMO. fine, however it is instanced based. So Diablo is free. Same is said for Guild wars, 'hub and instance mmo' fine, that is also free. So why should Hellgate, another 'hub and instance' based MMO be a subscription model? When all it sounds like the developers will be doing is some relatively small content patch every 3 months, and then regular scheduled (or not?) things going on like 'mod day' on tuesdays or whatever. news flash people... Guildwars did stuff like that too... for free.

Roper: "Oh, hey, this isn't working. People don't like that. Well, what if we change it this way? OK, boom, let's try that change, put that change in live. OK, yeah, that made it really good."

It's called patching numnuts, and guess what? Diablo has that to this day... and you know what it costs? naught, nada, zilch.

Hellgate unfortunately has 0 proof anything will be worth the subscription fee, and this new 'lifetime' pricing structure (and subsequent leaking of potential un-included x-packs) does nothing to help with the people like me sitting on the fence. Yes, I was never likely to buy a lifetime subscription, but in the small print you have justabout justified my stance of the paid for subscription being virtually worthless.

I've decided the only people who will buy this are a) fanboys of the game - which is fine, they will get their value out of it b) the same idiots who go out and buy the launch products in computer parts when they come out for vastly over priced costs so they have large e-peen c) compulsive people who do everything they can to stand above their peers... of which the computer gaming world is full of

OK just to be clear...this is what you get if you subscribe:
* 24/7 phone and internet support
* No (server) queues, with preference over non-paying customers
* 3 chars per account for non-elites, 12 for elite-customers
* Storage for up to 40 items (instead of 20 for non-subscribers), which can be accessed from any char in an account-wide item vault.
* Visible distinction from other players. Elite subscribers are recognizable from their equipment and may trade subscriber-only equipment to other elite subscribers.
* VIP-Shuttles to remote areas
* Housing and founding of guilds are enabled for subscribers. Elite subscribers may attain officer/leader privileges within their guild.
* Access to additional game modes, including Hardcore mode.

Well whoop-dee-fucking-doo.

Harcore mode is about the only thing worth mentioning, and thats hardly worth $10 a month so when you die you actually die. Extra characters? well... OK if you are one of those people. I faintly recall diablo being free like that too... hmmmm. Obviously extra characters was a selling point of the GW model.

Anywa all that aside... at the very least this game is going to have one fucked up, totally split down the middle community that is perpetually fractured, thus dividing the player base almost in half right from the outset, in an already unproven IP and development company.

Anyone notice in that interview Roper said they weren't calling subscribers elite anymore??? Oh shit they just realised splitting the community like that wasn't good. Ouch.

49. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2007, 22:05 Prez

It might make me a right bastard, but I have to admit that I am somewhat hoping this game fails. Not because I have any ill will towards Flagship or the fine people there, but because I'd hate to see this ridiculous pricing scheme become the norm. I'd probably quit multiplayer gaming entirely and just be a lonely single-player dude.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

48. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2007, 22:01 Overon

One way to start a flame war is to insult EVERYONE who posts on a certain website.

Stupid.

This pricing scheme is the most outrageous one I have seen so far in pc gaming. Maybe someone/some game with a proven track record could possibly get a pass with a pricing scheme like this, but hellgate london and the people behind are unproven and in my opinion cannot.

Let the buyer beware.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 22:02.

47. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2007, 21:45 nin

Here's what Sol Invictus of http://www.hellgateguru.com had to say about some Blues News posters:

"Reminds me of some nasally voiced 13-year old prick with a penchant for speaking long run-on sentences."

What a cocksucker. "Boo hoo hoo, I don't like what the people at Blue's are saying about us!"

Hey Sol? Fuck off and die. And take your shitty pricing scheme with you.

-----------------------------------------------------
Bioshock: "You're soon beset by deranged flappers and dandies, like Jay Gatsby's party guests gone feral."

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

46. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2007, 21:07 The Half Elf

Someone mentioned maybe they are trying to become a stand alone publisher like Blizzard.

When did Blizzard become a stand alone publisher?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

45. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2007, 20:07 Prez

I wear a foam helmet...  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

44. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2007, 19:50 Belzabub

"what age and attributes would apply to someone who has to go to another forum to talk shit about someone? if its the same sol invictus from rpg codex, then i wouldnt worry about it.. he probably just got upset from his foam helmet and drool apron being too tight."

Plus I think the helgate guru forums are run by the same type of people

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 19:52.

43. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2007, 19:46 Prez

Holy crap. This sounds like a terrible idea. Either I don't have a clue about how much the gaming community is willing to put up with, or Flagship doesn't.

Who in their right minds would spend so much money up front on a product that could end up being a huge flop and be abandoned within a few months?

- Mahatma Gandhi

42. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2007, 19:46 space captain

"Reminds me of some nasally voiced 13-year old prick with a penchant for speaking long run-on sentences."

what age and attributes would apply to someone who has to go to another forum to talk shit about someone? if its the same sol invictus from rpg codex, then i wouldnt worry about it.. he probably just got upset from his foam helmet and drool apron being too tight

Go forth, and kill!

41. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2007, 19:31 Krovven

I like Bill Roper as a person. I really do, and what I know of him makes this pricing model kind of weird. Either there's something pressing for greed, or far more likely, they're trying to establish themselves as a stand-alone publisher like Blizzard.

You think Bill Roper came up with this himself? Highly unlikely. You can probably blame "Ping0, LLC & Namco" for this crap.

----------------------------------------------------
Day of Defeat Source and S.T.A.L.K.E.R

40. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2007, 19:10 Creston

Makes perfect sense from their end - they aren't losing anything!

All scams make perfect sense from the scammer's end. That doesn't make them any less a scam.

Creston

39. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2007, 18:42 Belzabub

Here's what Sol Invictus of http://www.hellgateguru.com had to say about some Blues News posters:

here's the actual post:

http://www.hellgateguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5936

38. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2007, 17:52 space captain

of course its standard contractual jargon, the same kind of ethically bankrupt corporate maneuvering which places more liability on the consumer than the producer/manufacturer

such legal gestures are certainly not new, however the kind of pathos that would attempt to solicit "lifetime subscriptions" for a non-MMO game, which has not been released, nor established a strong user base, or demonstrated one iota of promised features, customer support, etc. etc. IS new, and it is deliriously laughable at the very best

the precedent that can potentially result from this kind of pricing model is only a detriment to gaming.. it promotes capital over substance, and clever marketing over solid game design

it is a steaming pile of rancid dogshit

Go forth, and kill!

37. No subject Sep 12, 2007, 16:46 dryden555

Flatline, Boilerplate agreements or no, the savvy consumer should assume the worst case scenarios and stay away from the lifetime subscription. The agreement leaves way too much wiggling room what an "expansion" is.

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo