Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New ATI Catalyst Drivers

ATI's Drivers and Utilities Page now has new version 7.9 Catalyst reference drivers for ATI accelerators running under various flavors of Windows. Among new features are a video converter and numerous performance improvements. The new releases do not include the highly anticipated version 7.9 Linux drivers, which are said to be "coming soon."

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. ... Sep 11, 2007, 10:34 theyarecomingforyou

I really wish ATi would drop the whole CCC or at least significantly improve the performance. They have been a bit behind recently and I ended up going nVidia this generation - I much prefer nVidia drivers and they are more responsive. It's a shame that ATi went from leading the industry to not being able to do much at all.

BTW, this isn't an attempt to troll - it's just my opinion after having used cards from both of them. It's good to see ATi improving their Linux driver (something a lot of people had complained about)... now they just need to improve their Windows drivers. With Vista I would often have the CCC hang on exit and have a prompt come up about it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. ET:QW demo? Sep 11, 2007, 07:44 Rhialto

Do they include the hotfix for ET:QW demo? They don't talk about it in the release notes.

I had 7.8 and the ET:QW demo wasn't loading. With the hotfix it was ok. What will happen with 7.9?

In the ET:QW demo release notes they said the hotfix is mandatory and they don't talk about 7.9 while I thought both AMD and Splash would have spoke together for a proper package to install knowing 7.9 would be close (if not the same day) of the demo release.

16. No subject Sep 10, 2007, 19:38 Pigeon

I'll agree this isn't new, but it certainly is still upsetting. I've an HP with a Nvida chipset and the last update (and probably the first) was last January. I've also heard complaints over Dell's XPS laptop line, which is really bad since they advertise those as gaming laptops.

I'm going to guess the problem is not ATI or Nvidia considering how good (relatively) both of them are at releasing drivers, there must be something about OEM laptops that makes such a thing much harder.

I say go yell at the OEMs. If they want people to take their gaming laptops (their very expensive gaming laptops) seriously, then they need to take driver support for the graphics cards seriously.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 19:39.

15. CCC is a flakey POS. Sep 10, 2007, 17:05 Toebot

It's always a mystery what a new install will do. Maybe it will work, maybe the wrong version was packaged with the new driver or maybe it will just crash the system entirely. And my whole system is AMD/ATI, if any setup should be error free... I'm beginning to think they just can't compete anymore.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 17:06.

14. Re: Actually... Sep 10, 2007, 16:42 complicity

I have never encountered any problems with the Omega drivers , but if you can't use them , I suggest you try Driverheavens Mobility Modder
Ha, I found that on my own, used it, and came back here to share the knowledge with the other poor bastards suffering along with me. Worked perfectly. I'm still at work so I can't try ET:QW at the moment, but I'm running the 7.9 Cats now anyway, and all my versions increased (2D, D3D, OGL, Cat).

mOO, give it a go.

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

13. Re: Actually... Sep 10, 2007, 16:35 PropheT

Yes but they have drivers packed called "MOBILITY" which is targeting mobile users but they screw a lot of OEM's over in the MOBILE pack, go figure.

Not every OEM releases the same architecture for the same video chipset they install. An X1400 in one laptop isn't going to be able to be handled by the same drivers as an X1400 in another, so they leave it up to (and generally work closely with larger) OEM's to release their own drivers for that hardware.

If you're waiting for ATI OR Nvidia to release drivers for a laptop you own, you're going to be waiting forever. It's not impossible to get some non-specific drivers to work (like the Omega Drivers), but they're never going to be 100%.

Yeah, it kinda sucks, but you really need to get on your OEM about it rather than ATI/Nvidia.

12. Re: Actually... Sep 10, 2007, 16:28 CeeJay

"Umm Omega drivers sometimes dont work with some game engines and end up rendering a black screen."

I have never encountered any problems with the Omega drivers , but if you can't use them , I suggest you try Driverheavens Mobility Modder :
http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool/

It can modify an official Catalyst driver to run on ATI mobility GPU's.

I'm the developer of SweetFX

11. Re: Actually... Sep 10, 2007, 16:12 mOOzilla

"Everyone on this thread is acting as this was something new. I'm very puzzled. I owned countless notebooks over the past 10 years. Never has either NV or ATI supported their mobile chipsets"

Yes but they have drivers packed called "MOBILITY" which is targeting mobile users but they screw a lot of OEM's over in the MOBILE pack, go figure.

Given that gaming laptops are very powerful and outselling desktops

"The solution are of course the Omega Drivers (google them). "

Umm Omega drivers sometimes dont work with some game engines and end up rendering a black screen.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 16:15.

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

10. Re: And as usual Sep 10, 2007, 16:11 mOOzilla

"My friend's laptop is running a driver from LAST YEAR because it's the latest driver for his nvidia card."

Lucky bastd. Im running drivers from the year they released this laptop. Which is a few years past. I would bite his arm off to run drivers from 1 year ago!

----

9. Actually... Sep 10, 2007, 16:07 BrutalDeluxe

Everyone on this thread is acting as this was something new. I'm very puzzled. I owned countless notebooks over the past 10 years. Never has either NV or ATI supported their mobile chipsets.

The solution are of course the Omega Drivers (google them).

8. Re: And as usual Sep 10, 2007, 16:02 complicity

ATI intentionally block some Acer from their mobility chipsets telling us to go to the OEM but the OEM (Acer) doesn't release updates often if ever.
I'm in the exact same boat right now with my Thinkpad. I'm NOT happy. And that link in the other story that goes http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894 for the ATI 'hot fix', doesn't link to anything directly and I have no idea what I'm looking for. Any search for ET:QW in their knowledgebase turns up one relevant-looking result, which "improves performance found on ATI Radeon HD 2xxx series graphics cards" but I don't know if that's what I'm looking for, or if it will help on my Mobility x1400 because it's not in the list of cards, and ATI acts like they don't even mfg laptop video cards.

I'm so mad at this stupid crap. I'd just play on my home machine (which has an old-school Radeon 9700, and there's no mention of that anywhere either) except my vid fan is dead and my 2D is already generating too much heat, let alone 3D.

Dammit, Beavis.

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

7. Re: And as usual Sep 10, 2007, 15:39 Efflixi

"don't you typically download laptop vid card drivers from the laptop manufacturer and not the chipset manufacturer? i have an older laptop with an ATI card and that's what i always did... until i started getting the omega drivers from omegadrivers.net."

Right, but in this case it's ridiculous. It's a Dell laptop, nvidia hasn't released a driver that supports the card in it, in over a year and Dell hasn't either. Even laptopvideo2go.com doesn't have a current driver for it.

6. Re: And as usual Sep 10, 2007, 15:39 Efflixi

... weee double post!
This comment was edited on Sep 10, 15:39.

5. Re: And as usual Sep 10, 2007, 15:39 mOOzilla

ATI intentionally block some Acer from their mobility chipsets telling us to go to the OEM but the OEM (Acer) doesn't release updates often if ever. Omega drivers sometimes screw up rendering on games. Blank screen sometimes on some chipsets. I used the patch to mod the drivers to support mobile but sometimes that doesn't work on some chipsets.

----

4. Re: And as usual Sep 10, 2007, 15:27 nin

I wasn't aware either vendor supported laptop chipsets...

-----------------------------------------------------
Bioshock: "You're soon beset by deranged flappers and dandies, like Jay Gatsby's party guests gone feral."

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: And as usual Sep 10, 2007, 15:27 waxthirteen

don't you typically download laptop vid card drivers from the laptop manufacturer and not the chipset manufacturer? i have an older laptop with an ATI card and that's what i always did... until i started getting the omega drivers from omegadrivers.net.

2. Re: And as usual Sep 10, 2007, 15:12 Efflixi

I wouldn't do that...

Nvidia's mobile graphics drivers have not been updated in forever. My friend's laptop is running a driver from LAST YEAR because it's the latest driver for his nvidia card.

1. And as usual Sep 10, 2007, 15:01 mOOzilla

They screw over Acer mobile users.

My next mobile chipset is going to be NV because their drivers support more vendors.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 15:02.

----

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo