Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

F.E.A.R. Sequel Titled

This press release announces Project Origin as the title for the F.E.A.R. sequel in the works at F.E.A.R. developer Monolith, not to be confused with F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate, which is the actual sequel (expansion, actually) to the first-person shooter. Here's word on the unofficial sequel:

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment will publish Project Origin, the videogame sequel to the hit game F.E.A.R., developed by Monolith Productions for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Games for Windows®. The name was chosen by the fans, as they submitted entries and then voted for the winning submission.

“Project Origin is the name we can stand behind since it was picked by the gaming community, and this game marks a new beginning for the franchise,” says Samantha Ryan, Senior Vice President, Production and Development, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “With the consoles and the PC, we’re dedicated to add a new game dynamic to the universe and build upon what the players loved about the original game.”

“Our team really enjoyed letting the fans drive the naming process, and we are excited to expand upon the work we began in the original game and establish Project Origin as a premier gaming franchise in its own right,” said Troy Skinner, Producer, Monolith Productions.

The sequel will continue the original game’s spine-tingling supernatural suspense story of an escalating paranormal crisis that threatens to destroy a major American city. At the center of the calamity is the mysterious Alma, whose rage against those who wronged her triggered a chain of events that have spiraled completely out of control. Now that she has free reign, the consequences will be unimaginable.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Project Origin? Sep 9, 2007, 07:39 Shadowcat

Wow. Monolith must be kicking themselves. I mean, FEAR was a cheesy name and all, but compared to this one it was genius. "Project Origin" is about as lame a name as I can imagine, and now it looks like they're stuck with it.

(The idiot who came up with the "Whatever" ad campaign for Shogo probably loves it, though.)

To top it all off, the name is quite fantastically unsuited for the sequels which they're bound to want to create. Brilliant.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: F.E.A.R's new name Sep 7, 2007, 15:00 CJ_Parker

Its obvious that console gamers are less intelligent, otherwise why would they continue to use an inferior control model compared to the mouse/keyboard.

Yup. Just like it's obvious that people watching DVDs are less intelligent, otherwise why would they continue to use an inferior viewing model compared to going to the movies.
Gawd. You're such a retarded motherfucking dumbass dickhead faggot waste of monkey sperm, Zeph, it's unbelievable. It is a miracle that you haven't died just from being stupid yet.

----------------------------
*** Born to troll ***

35. Re: ... Sep 7, 2007, 01:11 >U

You should probably stop talking before you make yourself look more even more retarded.
The fear of looking retarded never stopped him before. Plus, I enjoy a good laugh at his expense, so I welcome more such stupidity from that jester.

34. Re: F.E.A.R's new name Sep 7, 2007, 00:55 >U

Wow all this ownerships of IP's is confusing the hell out of me.
That is because you listened to Dagok, and as usual he is an idiot who doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about.

The IP situation with F.E.A.R. is actually fairly simple once you have accurate information. Vivendi/Sierra owns the trademark to the name "F.E.A.R." Monolith owns the IP of everything else including the characters and story of the original game. So, Monolith can make a true sequel to F.E.A.R. but simply can't call it "F.E.A.R. 2." Vivendi/Sierra on the otherhand can make a new game called "F.E.A.R. 2" but can't use any of the copyrighted elements of the original game. The only exception is that Vivendi/Sierra can make expansions to the original game, which is what "Extraction Point" and the upcoming "Perseus Mandate" are, due to the terms of its contract with Monolith for the first game.

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 01:09.

33. Re: ... Sep 6, 2007, 23:32 Jerykk

LMAO - you say that as if health kits are realistic. Both are stupid dumbed down systems, so it doesn't really bother me which they opt for. People use such random shit to accuse a game of being consolised. Get that dick out of your ass and STFU.

Sigh. Such stupidity. What game introduced regenerating health to a mainstream audience? Halo, a console shooter. Since when has regenerating health become a standard in shooters? Since Halo came out. How many console shooters use regenerating health? Practically all of them.

Hence, consolized. And then we have the fact that FEAR 2 is being cross-developed for the PC and the consoles, which means the PC version will inevitably be a port of the console versions.

You should probably stop talking before you make yourself look more even more retarded.

32. Re: title suggestion Sep 6, 2007, 23:26 Kxmode

NOT S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

-----
Ah ha! I caught you red handed Green cheating on Blue!
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
latest track and artwork posted (9/6)

31. Re: F.E.A.R's new name Sep 6, 2007, 22:21 Overon

Wow all this ownerships of IP's is confusing the hell out of me. Someone owns the rights to the universe but not the characters? Isn't that a contradiction? Well kind of?

30. Re: F.E.A.R's new name Sep 6, 2007, 22:20 Zephalephelah

Someone should create a utility that optimizes the game with more enemies and smarter AI for the PC.

Its obvious that console gamers are less intelligent, otherwise why would they continue to use an inferior control model compared to the mouse/keyboard. Make our games harder with more enemies. We're smarter than the console gamers & we deserve to be tested with a higher level of difficulty.

29. ... Sep 6, 2007, 22:19 theyarecomingforyou

You act so surprised. Hell, FEAR 2 has already been consolized. They are replacing the great health kit system from FEAR with regenerating health. 'nuff said.
LMAO - you say that as if health kits are realistic. Both are stupid dumbed down systems, so it doesn't really bother me which they opt for. People use such random shit to accuse a game of being consolised. Get that dick out of your ass and STFU.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

28. Re: F.E.A.R's new name Sep 6, 2007, 21:56 Kxmode

"F.E.A.R and L.O.A.T.H.I.N.G. in Las Vegas" for the sequel's expansion pack. I think so.

-----
latest track and artwork posted (9/3)

27. No subject Sep 6, 2007, 21:17 space captain

"as your lawyer I advise you to shoot the living fuck out of those monsters"

Go forth, and kill!

26. Re: PC Version Sep 6, 2007, 21:14 Jerykk

You act so surprised. Hell, FEAR 2 has already been consolized. They are replacing the great health kit system from FEAR with regenerating health. 'nuff said.

25. PC Version Sep 6, 2007, 20:53 MuzixMon

The PC version of FEAR was the REAL version... then it was ported to the consoles. I have a bad feeling that the next FEAR won't be this way. It looks as though it might be a console game ported to the PC. Just look at their announcement and it will give you that idea.

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment will publish Project Origin, the videogame sequel to the hit game F.E.A.R., developed by Monolith Productions for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Games for Windows®. The name was chosen by the fans, as they submitted entries and then voted for the winning submission.

“Project Origin is the name we can stand behind since it was picked by the gaming community, and this game marks a new beginning for the franchise,” says Samantha Ryan, Senior Vice President, Production and Development, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “With the consoles and the PC, we’re dedicated to add a new game dynamic to the universe and build upon what the players loved about the original game.”

Do you see what I mean? Looks to me the PC version is taking the back seat. I certainly hope I'm wrong.

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."
This comment was edited on Sep 6, 20:57.

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

24. F.E.A.R's new name Sep 6, 2007, 20:29 indiv

I was kind of hoping they'd have picked L.O.A.T.H.I.N.G. for the next title.

23. Re: No subject Sep 6, 2007, 18:57 Nameless Again

A new Shogo... a new Blood... a new NOLF... a new AVP... a new Tron...

I wouldn't mind seeing a new Blood; too bad Atari holds the rights. They can't even get it together to release the source code for the first Blood, so I doubt there will be anymore of that series.

Now, NOLF3 would rock and so would a new TRON.

22. Re: No subject Sep 6, 2007, 17:22 Elf Shot The Food

There probably won't be a NOLF3, unfortunately. Supposedly the rights to the series are buried under lots of red tape, and given the under-performance of the game at the cash register, they're probably in no hurry to get another one going.

Shame too, since I really enjoyed those games.

21. Re: No subject Sep 6, 2007, 17:01 Zephalephelah

The FEAR "universe" is nice and all, but dammit Monolith give us NOLF3.

Yes!! I only laughed harder during Thief 1 or 2 when those archers are having a long conversation about their princess, one side defending her honor the other dragging her name through the dirt until all hell breaks loose.

The same was true in NOLF 1 or 2 when these guys are talking about selling a monkey for 5 minutes; and then later I can't even remember the conversation because I was drunk but two NPCs are going at it like Sienfield vs Chris Rock & I was fuckin' dying, literally on the floor rolling with laughter as these guys kept it up for more than 10 minutes of NPC's being pissed at eachother. AWESOME!

Monilith, whoever did those skits, you gotta hire that guy back for NOLF3!!!

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 17:02.

20. Re: title suggestion Sep 6, 2007, 16:25 Elf Shot The Food

I enjoyed the first game, but it was really hampered by the repetitive level design; hopefully there are some more varied maps in Project Origin.

19. title suggestion Sep 6, 2007, 15:52 Kxmode

More F.E.A.R.

-----
latest track and artwork posted (9/3)

18. Re: No subject Sep 6, 2007, 15:46 PHJF

A new Shogo... a new Blood... a new NOLF... a new AVP... a new Tron...

Seriously, Monolith; get to work.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo