Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Warhammer Online Beta Update

EA/Mythic announces that over 400,000 applicants have expressed their interest in beta testing Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, the upcoming Warhammer MMORPG. In spite of this, their beta center continues to accept applications:

Closed Beta Test of EA Mythic's Highly-Anticipated Massively Multiplayer Online Game Continues to Grow

EA Mythic today announced that more than 400,000 players have signed up for the Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (WAR) closed beta test, making it one of the most successful betas in massively multiplayer gaming history. Slated for release in early 2008, EA Mythic's long-awaited MMORPG continues to attract legions of eager beta participants worldwide.

The overwhelming response solidifies WAR as one of the most anticipated PC titles of 2008. WAR's Beta Center is currently open and accepting applications at: https://betacenter.eamythic.com/signup.php.

Based on Games Workshop's epic tabletop fantasy war game, WAR features revolutionary Realm vs. Realm(TM) (RvR) game play and is scheduled for release on the PC in the first quarter of 2008. For more information, please visit www.warhammeronline.com.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Warhammer beta Sep 6, 2007, 14:09 Fion

DAoC was a good game when it shipped. Dunno about these days.. haven't played it for years. Great RvR though, which is what I'm hoping for in WAR.

I hope you like instances then cause if your looking toward WAR for great PvP, your gonna be spending a lot of time in them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Warhammer beta Sep 6, 2007, 10:34 Frijoles

Anyone expecting Mythic to produce a good game is in for a rude surprise.

DAoC was a good game when it shipped. Dunno about these days.. haven't played it for years. Great RvR though, which is what I'm hoping for in WAR.

15. No subject Sep 6, 2007, 09:52 Brubold

Unfortunately this is WoW 2.0 which is a shame because Blizzard ripped off the look of Warhammer and beat them to the punch getting an MMO out. If GW hadn't been so greedy trying to get everyone to buy their stupidly overpriced figures for their tabletop games, they might be the ones with a few million subscribers.

14. Re: Warhammer beta Sep 5, 2007, 19:55 ColoradoHoudini

I read about the game daily.. and perhaps overwhelmed myself with info and got too hyped up..
ended up reactivating my WoW account after 4 months of being canceled because I was so excited about playing an MMO again I needed to play something.

I am a bit skeptical and excited about Warhammer.

13. Warhammer beta Sep 5, 2007, 19:25 Ciredric

Hmm that will make 400,000 very disappointed people. Anyone expecting Mythic to produce a good game is in for a rude surprise.

12. Re: No subject Sep 5, 2007, 17:10 Slint

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

Last Updated On: 05/31/2007

Ya good times.

------------
The Dude abides.

11. Re: No subject Sep 5, 2007, 17:09 ibm

Only about 7k people in Euro beta at the moment. At least that's how many have signed up to the euro beta forums anyway.

10. No subject Sep 5, 2007, 14:47 Mashiki Amiketo

*checks status* *still waiting* What a surprise.

Well I guess I'm agreeing with everyone else here about marketing running the show and people who've been waiting to see if it's any good and still waiting and on and on and on.

I think I'll pass.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

9. Re: No subject Sep 5, 2007, 14:26 Horde4Life

I'm just wondering how long EA will remain patient. Every other EA born MMOG went belly up and the EA blood suckers, errrr executives, saw the money that Vivendi/Blizzard were pulling in with WoW and they thought that their stock options would triple if they could only get a good franchise. So, they buy Mythic - the head of Mythic at the time couldn't stop smiling when they first announced it (sure, the fugger was rich). But how long after the game goes live do you see EA cutting jobs and implementing their cost cutting measures?

-----------------------------

$OE - they put the FU in fun!
==Boycott EA==

8. No subject Sep 5, 2007, 14:06 Pigeon

*Checks his Warhammer beta status* Yep still waiting.

I concur with what everyone else has said so far. It's annoying when they do this, specially when they say "AND YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP LULZ!!" cause they need to put right after that, "but it won't do you any good".

I'm fine with them not letting anyone else in (or only a few) but when you're going to brag about how many people have signed up it almost comes across as snotty. It reminds me of those prestigious private schools that brag about how many people apply and how many few of those they let in.

7. Re: No subject Sep 5, 2007, 14:00 Fion

I meant fresh IP as in this is the first time it's been used in an MMOG. This isn't WAR 2, a sequal, they take shorter. Even with having previous work, you don't see any other MMOG companies spending 2.5 years with a game and then pushing it out the door. It's just not done. It's why it leads me to believe that the experience WAR will offer will be extremely shallow and generic.

6. Re: No subject Sep 5, 2007, 13:35  Cruciform 

Seriously, the games been in development for 2.5 years. How good could it be? It takes that long to make a game from a fresh IP in the first place. Let alone an MMOG.

Well, you have an experience MMOG dev team working on it. And they've got an existing title that they can reuse code from for the basics while they dedicate as much time as possible to coding new stuff.

And it's certainly not a fresh IP. It's over 20 years old, so you have a massive dataset to pull from. Heck, just having the Warhammer manuals around probably shaved months off of pre-production.

5. Opinion Sep 5, 2007, 13:11 Veterator

My opinion on it is that it's a lot of hype at this point. They release new videos and screenshots every month if not sooner, and it's always the english guy going nuts on one topic or another with his sunglasses. It's almost like watching a skit like "Ask a Ninja", except.....it's supposed to demonstrate something about the upcoming product and rarely does.

Will we end up McQuaided? Will the game actually be as good as the english guy acts it is?

The more videos I watch about this MMO, the less Im impressed. And these beta sign ups mean virtually nothing, now if they let those 400k people into the beta and their servers (don't) burst into flames then we got some news.

4. Such bullshit Sep 5, 2007, 13:10 Fausticle

I signed up for this beta months ago and I still havent got in. This is around the third time they've announce how many people have signed up.

Woopdiefuckitydoo! What the point of announcing how many people gave their stoopid email if you dont let anyone in.

3. Re: No subject Sep 5, 2007, 12:43 Fion

EA/Mythic announces that 400k people have signed up for beta, but forgets to mention that all you need is more then one e-mail address to sign up to the beta as often as you like.

Seriously, the games been in development for 2.5 years. How good could it be? It takes that long to make a game from a fresh IP in the first place. Let alone an MMOG.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 12:43.

2. Re: No subject Sep 5, 2007, 12:11 Horde4Life

Thats the EA way my brother! Flash and PR over substance.

-----------------------------

$OE - they put the FU in fun!
==Boycott EA==

1. No subject Sep 5, 2007, 11:25 Mead

I thought "good product" was the result of a "successful beta", rather than how many people signed up for it.

When Marketing runs the show, everyone loses.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo