Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ghost Recon Free, Too

In mentioning the advertising-supported games released for free by Ubisoft (story) one of the titles was overlooked, as Ghost Recon is also now available for free. As with the other titles (Far Cry, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, and Rayman Raving Rabbits), a Ubi.com account is required, which, it should be noted, but be registered in the US (though there does not seem to be any mechanism in place to prevent creating a US account from a different country). The Ghost Recon download is available on 3D Downloads and Gamer's Hell.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: In-game ads Sep 4, 2007, 07:46 Cully

Meh, what difference would it honestly make?

Depends, if its a burnt out truck with a decaying logo on the side, it could add to the atmosphere, and sense of believability. However, if advertisers insist on their logos looking lovely and shiny, then a pristine coca-cola truck in the middle of a warzone, would look slightly ridiculous.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: In-game ads Sep 4, 2007, 05:51 Masa

Once I am in the game, I would rather take cover behind a fizzy cola truck than a coca-cola truck.

Meh, what difference would it honestly make?

27. Re: ADs are BAD Sep 4, 2007, 05:48 Bill Nakano

Can the free Far Cry play mods? I just re-installed my copy to play through Matto 3 and 4 single player. Quality mods with no MONSTERS.

26. In-game ads Sep 4, 2007, 03:58 Matt

If (when) the in-game ads come, I would rather see the 'real' ads in the menus and loadscreens. Once I am in the game, I would rather take cover behind a fizzy cola truck than a coca-cola truck.

Prince of Persia was pretty cool but I had trouble with the camera and the combat added nothing. Meh.

25. Re: Dev Sep 4, 2007, 02:23 Masa

People dislike the sci-fi aspect of FarCry for the same reason almost *everyone* dislikes the SciFi aspects of both Silent Storm and Jagged Alliance 2.

JA2 at least let the player turn off the sci-fi elements, if they so chose.

24. No subject Sep 4, 2007, 01:27 cronik

Just loaded up Ghost Recon and with details maxed out running @ 1680x1050 on my widescreen it plays like a dream. The loading screen ads are a little annoying but I think I can live with it.

Eat your heart out Zeph!!!

23. Re: No subject Sep 4, 2007, 00:30 OneEye

nice rant...

i wish i knew wtf you were talking about.

22. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2007, 23:56 Zephalephelah

You sound like a milky ass, little, bitch boy, pussy, faggot!

I'd love to meet you on the street and let you pretend that you even thought you had balls around me; you fuckin piece of dried cum on your whore mother's bedspread!

21. Re: CreamyBlood Sep 3, 2007, 23:54 Zephalephelah

Graphics don't matter to much to me as I'm into gameplay

Well, you could try to get your hands on the best game ever made in all video game history; Empire. It is text-based, but it is the ultimate Turn-Based Strategy Game. Nothing even remotely comes close.

Or, you could try to find the old text-based game Dreadnaughts. That game was so suspenseful, you nearly piss your pants every time your spotted trying to creep along the eastern atlantic as the largest battleship in the World War 2 arena. Simply brilliant game balancing that gives the game so much replay value that I played it every night until the 5 1/4" diskette BROKE!

20. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2007, 23:52 Enahs

So how do the ads work? I was thinking it was just when you start the game but it sounds like they actually interrupt play?

I have only tried FarCry so far, but all others are installed.

FarCry seems to be just when loading stuff.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

19. Re: You still pay for cable. Sep 3, 2007, 23:50 Zephalephelah

Actually, I pay for the ability to have hundreds of channels every month at my whim for around $50 a month. This is FAR, FAR, FAR, FAR, FAR, FAR, FAR, FAR different than paying $10+ for a single show.

You sir are a fuckin moron.

18. No subject Sep 3, 2007, 23:44 Veinman

So how do the ads work? I was thinking it was just when you start the game but it sounds like they actually interrupt play?

17. ads/pc revival Sep 3, 2007, 23:14 Kxmode

If publishers want to go this route I'm all for it as long as the advertisements fit into the context of the game. For example if in Ghost Recon you need to take cover behind a Coca-cola Big Rig that's totally cool with me. If they want to put ads in the menus fine. But what I don't want to see is traditional commercial style interruptions.

I.E. I'm about to enter the mansion, fade to black, "you entering this mansion is sponsored by COCA COLA! COCA COLA because PEPSI can suck it!" dude, talking about a buzz-kill.

-----
Ah ha! I caught you red handed Green cheating on Blue!
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
latest track and artwork posted (9/3)

16. Re: ADs are BAD Sep 3, 2007, 23:01 Enahs

Do not forget the FarCry 64 bit patch.
Also, if you do not have a 64bit OS installed:
http://farcry.filefront.com/file/FC_64ecu_to_32os_conversion;50861

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

15. Re: ADs are BAD Sep 3, 2007, 22:23 Cutter

The reason television has commercials is to pay for the programming, BUT I PAID FOR THIS MOVIE!

You still pay for cable.

Simple solution is to release 2 versions of new games. One with adware that's free, and the other without ads that you pay for.

"Well that sounds like fun times, Peter. Tell me...where does James Woods fit into the "fun times"."
- James Woods, Family Guy

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2007, 20:27 cronik

Farcry is a pretty decent shooter and you can't beat a free play through. Ghost Recon isn't bad either, it's fairly realistic as far as shooters go, just beware of the nasty ai that has a habit of nailing you from miles away.

13. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2007, 19:18 CreamyBlood

Well, free is free, I'm all for it. Being an id fanboy I never played the Ghost Recon genre, is it worth it? Graphics don't matter to much to me as I'm into gameplay. (Just finished kicking ass in ET, yet again).

I like shooting people in the head.

PS Farcry kicks ass.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 19:19.

12. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2007, 19:03 IronWolve

HORRIBLE, I downloaded Rayman Raving Rabbits, and had to put up with mcdonalds commercials every couple of minutes about its dollar menu...

Really, its not free, its Adware gone wrong.

11. Re: Dev Sep 3, 2007, 17:59 PHJF

I'd have been more pleased if they'd used dinosaurs instead of mutants.

People dislike the sci-fi aspect of FarCry for the same reason almost *everyone* dislikes the SciFi aspects of both Silent Storm and Jagged Alliance 2. It just doesn't feel like it belongs and only serves to distance the player from the reality the games worked so hard to create.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Dev Sep 3, 2007, 17:36 Zephalephelah

You're right, Far Cry is the shit. The thing is that I already have it, so I forgot to mention it. But you're right, that's quite a nice game.

A lot of people did not like the monsters and thought they subtracted from the game. The game was supposed to be a kind of parody of the B movies from the 50's and so I thoroughly enjoyed it. Plus, they were pretty freaky looking. Anyway, that's why the plot was so lame and the voice-overs were so over-the-top. It was supposed to be. I usually hate slap-stick and all that crap, but here it worked and it worked well.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo