Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well I was planning on taking advantage of what I (incorrectly) presumed would be a slow news day yesterday by picking up a new KVM switch to replace my recently demised one in order to get my game computer back in action to play me some BioShock. As it turns out, the machine will not boot, leading me to suspect that either the same event that killed the old KVM switch killed the PC as well, or perhaps the death of one killed the other. Either way at this point I have a dead box, and while my Abit AV8 motherboard has a nifty LED to offer error codes in situations like this, it turns out that the code it is showing is one of what are apparently a number of undocumented codes this can produce, which is not so nifty. A little investigation online suggests that this code (0.2) may relate to a bad PSU, which is one of the few components I'm willing to experiment with replacing in a system old enough to use AGP, since it no longer offers a proper upgrade path. This means the system is old enough to justify replacing it, but I was kind of hoping that building a new gaming rig would free this box up to be a work PC. Oh well, we'll see how this goes.

Balky Links! Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Rat Shot.
Stories: Has a mythical beast turned up in Texas?
Media: Rube Goldberg Gaming Super Mario World plays itself.
Taco Bell Order. NSFW.
Ballad to a Wigged Dog. WTF?

View
29. 360 vs PC Sep 2, 2007, 12:44 PJ

I first played the BioShock 360 demo (twice) before playing the PC version. And though I agree the PC is always better and I will always prefer the mouse & keyboard... with this demo I was feeling quite at home on the 360 game-pad.

When the 360 first came out I joined GameFly and they sent me two games to play before I even had my 360 on launch day.

I didn't make it out of the opening dungeon in Oblivion before going back to my PC to play it there and Gun just felt cheesy. I hate how a lot of console games give you a large hit radius with hand guns. So in the opening tutorial of Gun I was hitting the birds out of the sky even though I could clearly see the aim was not even close to a kill shot. Lame.

But again in BS I never got that feeling. I adapted to the game-pad and very much enjoy the demo. Great game... from what I have seen.

Unfortunately like Blue and a few others I am holding off on playing BS. My 7900 GT is having issues (for a couple months). I was playing LotR Online with max settings and I think it cooked the card.

I started getting a dead pixel effect that would come and go though it was clearly the card not the monitor (Hanns-G HW191D). Then I started getting artifacts and texture tearing. Now the card chokes and causes random weird texture issues. In BioShock I get a lot of black squares that show up and stick in place but will grow or shrink depending on how I move my POV. Or if I just keep moving they sometimes disappear. I also get texture tears.

So I ordered an EVGA 8800 GTS 640. I couldn't really wait for two or three months for the next Nvidia cards to hit the shelves and I didn't want to spend a couple hundred on something that wouldn't last at least a year or two before the new games force me to upgrade again. Hopefully I chose well.

I'm sticking with my AMD 64 X2 4200+ for now though I have an itch to build a new system. My daughters system (an old one of mine) is having issues also. I should be trouble shooting it now. I have a spare video card power supply and hard-drive but I think it's a virus or malware doing it.

It locks up on boot or at the desk-top. But if I wipe the hard drive it will run for hours reformating, reinstalling and updating XP, installing drivers, and programs. But as soon as I installed iTunes and rebooted it locked. I started from scratch again and it worked fine for the whole wipe and reinstall but as soon as she gets onto it (MYSpace is her first stop) it starts locking up again.

If need be I will give her my 4200+ and build myself a new one.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 12:46.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Sep 1, 17:21 No subject PHJF
  2. Sep 1, 17:40  Re: No subject nin
  4. Sep 1, 19:55   Re: No subject Bucky
  5. Sep 1, 19:58    Re: No subject Enahs
  6. Sep 1, 20:16     Re: No subject SirKnight
  7. Sep 1, 20:28     Re: No subject Bucky
  23. Sep 2, 00:58     Re: No subject Ray Marden
  24. Sep 2, 01:07      Re: No subject Masa
  25. Sep 2, 01:24       Re: No subject banddirector
  27. Sep 2, 09:54        Re: No subject MMORPGHoD