Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hacker Evolution - Reinsertion Ships, Demo

exoSyphen Studios announces the release of Hacker Evolution - Reinsertion, along with a demo for this expansion for Hacker Evolution. Word is: "Following the huge success of Hacker Evolution, exosyphen studios releases the first expansion pack for the game. The adventure continues with new levels and graphics, pushing the game engine beyond what was present until now. Continue where the original game has left off, and return to complete some unfinished business, in these completely new levels." Further details and online sales can be found on this page, where they also offer downloads of the playable demo. The 33 MB demo is also available on 3D Downloads, FileFront, and Gamer's Hell.

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. No subject Aug 30, 2007, 17:16 Kamakazie

Ah, I remember this game... imo Uplink was the more entertaining hacker game, but this one feels more "realistic."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Fun, but probably flawed Aug 30, 2007, 16:15 Wilson

I played the demo, and it was an interesting sort of puzzle game. It seems, however, like the kind of puzzle game where you could very, very easily shoot yourself in the foot early on, only to realize much later that you're in trouble--say, you need servers to bounce through and have used all of yours, or your money simply runs out and you can't killtrace (and selling off your upgrades just delays the inevitable). This is something I was able to tolerate in visual adventure games when I was younger (KQ, I'm looking at you); nowadays, I don't really have the time or the patience to play through large sections of a game again, especially when it's text-entry like this.

Of course, if the game is properly designed then these sorts of dangers can be mitigated. It's not a risk I'm really willing to take. Some risk-management tools (a command to estimate the time it would take to complete an operation, or the amount of "trace" you'd pick up from doing so) would help smooth out the planning part of the game. Using trial-and-error to figure out how many servers to bounce through (for instance) just seems like a waste of time to me. There's something to be said for building up a new skillset to play a game, but for this type of game I guess I don't feel very forgiving about this kind of thing.

Further, the game feels a little unpolished. It would've been nice to be able to resize and move around the "windows" in the game's UI, and also to get a visual indication of when and by how much my "trace" went up--even if it were just a text log. The chronic misspelling of "dynamic" in the demo also bothered me--if I'm playing the game for the plot, then I really would expect the developer to be able to communicate it to me in reasonably well-written English.

If I'm _not_ playing it for a plot, then I guess this type of game (where advancement is its own reward) is kinda wearing thin on me. That would explain why I can't seem to get into Decker or any Roguelikes these days.

2. Re: Trace Level Aug 30, 2007, 15:33 Halo

I don't remember it continuing as the missions went on. It was all dependent on your gateway route to the target.

1. Trace Level Aug 30, 2007, 11:21 Parallax Abstraction

Does anyone know if this changed the rule about your trace level continuing over between missions? That's the only reason I didn't buy the original game. That mechanic was just too frustrating and didn't make much sense.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Help Fix The Broken Xbox Live Marketplace: http://brokenxblm.blogspot.com

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo