Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock SM 2.0 Progress

The Official BioShock SM 2.0 Fix Blog now offers a new version of this homebrew graphics downgrade for 2K Games' first-person shooter. The new beta 1 offers significantly improved visuals, as shown in a bunch of comparison movies they've posted. They also point the way to the Asankel Fix, a separate project working towards the same goal of making a way to play BioShock on older video cards. Thanks Acleacius.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. ... Sep 2, 2007, 09:37 theyarecomingforyou

I tried to run Bioshock last night (first time after I reinstalled Vista) and I kept getting an error saying that the game has stopped working. It took me a long while to figure I had to install DX again. I also found the widescreen FOV fix and tried that - much better.

As for this SM2.0 fix - I think it's great that more people will be able to experience this great game, though it does look a bit rough.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. happy atm Aug 30, 2007, 10:29 Cheese

yeah now that i figured out all i needed was a dx9 update, now the game runs without freezing on my PC.

i was gonna toss this but now im past the medical pavilion and im haveing a little fun with it.

nice game but it was rushed out to coincide with the 360 version which i hear some ppl are having freezing issues as well lol.

even though i had DX9c already microsoft released another update to it to add extra stuff into dx9c. crazy but true and im lucky i figured it out.

36. Re: No subject Aug 30, 2007, 03:26 Krovven

I was thinking the exact same thing. That's bullshit. They can't ban you from playing games you bought with them for something as fucking retarded as that.

That's why I don't really believe him, or at the very least he isn't giving the full story. Maybe they did temp ban him based on his attitude.

I really doubt it would take much to get the account reinstated, as long as he apologized, asked nicely and wasn't a jackass in his email to them.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing Everquest 2 (heard it's become a really good game...we'll see)

35. Re: No subject Aug 30, 2007, 02:21 Creston

But as with all games, they have a code of conduct in there and they also have a wrap-all clause that sorta says that they can deny service to anyone for any reason. Its their software and their rules

Somehow I doubt that that means they can say "You can no longer play the software that you paid us money for."

If they want to play hardball and refuse to let him access the software that he paid for, they'd have to at least give him a refund.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that what they are doing right now is legal.

Creston

34. Re: No subject Aug 30, 2007, 02:18 Creston

But I would be suing Valve for banning my account if I said "fuck"

I was thinking the exact same thing. That's bullshit. They can't ban you from playing games you bought with them for something as fucking retarded as that.

As for Bioshock, it's just fantastic. Figured I had finally finished it, and oh, no, look, another level for you to go and play.

Big Daddy count at 49 and rising. They're like mobile ATMs. I love 'em.

Creston

33. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 19:50 CJ_Parker

Out of curiosity, mOO, what was your support ticket for?

He posted it down below, dude. His ticket's subject line read "You provide no personal privicy and protection on Steam" (it's privacy, not privicy by the way, cowboy) and from that subject line one can only begin to imagine how hilarious the content of the ticket must have been .

----------------------------
*** Born to troll ***

32. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 19:11 Enahs

I would too. But as with all games, they have a code of conduct in there and they also have a wrap-all clause that sorta says that they can deny service to anyone for any reason. Its their software and their rules.

Yes. But there are laws that protect the consumer in these cases (In the US). And many many times over reaching contracts like that have been declared null and void by a court. I am no lawyer, and the law system in complicated and flawed, but I bet it would not be that hard to win a case. I doubt Valve would even let it go to court as they know they would lose.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 19:12.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

31. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 18:03 DanL

I do not know if I believe him or not. But I would be suing Valve for banning my account if I said "fuck". I have a lot of games and money invested in Steam. Not only does the EULA not explicitly mention profanity but then you would have to define what you consider profane.

If it is true, they are breaking their own contract with you.

And I would be incredibly pissed that they essentially stole my money.

I would too. But as with all games, they have a code of conduct in there and they also have a wrap-all clause that sorta says that they can deny service to anyone for any reason. Its their software and their rules. Crying and whining gets you nowhere.

30. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 17:56 Frijoles

Out of curiosity, mOO, what was your support ticket for?

29. No subject Aug 29, 2007, 16:56 eDave

I still cannot play this game. Could for about 1 hour but now it won't even launch....

28. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 15:40 MMORPGHoD

Wow, mooz, you sure changed your mind about steam from 5 months ago. That's what happens when you become too much of a fanboi and get jilted I suppose.

Banned from accessing steam games since April? I never thought of pissing off customer service being one of the downsides to using steam.

27. Re: Aug 29, 2007, 15:36 Rseman

Firstly. I don't know either way, but I'd be surprized if Valve were being paid by any publisher. Valve would be taking their cut directly out of what you pay buying it through Steam.

As for you, moo. If I'd been wronged by Valve/Steam as you say, I'd be following Enahs train of thought. Of course, that would be costing me attorney fees and everytime I ask mine a question, it's a painful and costly experience.
Now, I'm not trying to make fun of you or your situation in any way here moo. I would seriously just bite the bullet and send another email to Valve support in reply to theirs banning your account and make a serious attempt at an honest apology. It make get your account back, it may get you nothing. I'm pretty sure all your posts about your problems with Steam may be getting something off your chest, but it's not getting your account back. So, spend your time more poductively and write them instead. Feel free to continue bashing Steam regardless, if you wish. But why just give up on your account. At worst you swallow a bit of pride and write an email. You've already lost, so really have nothing to lose;P

And while I tend to use the word fuck with abandon, I don't use it around people I don't really know. Some people are offended by it, some are not. Simpler to avoid the risk.

26. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 15:34 Enahs

And just because you can activate some retail games on steam does not mean you have to...

- W. C. Fields

25. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 15:27 Bet

If you get a boxed copy in the store, you can activate it on Steam and get all the benefits of Steam without purchasing it via Steam.

Whether you get it on Steam or not, the publisher has to pay Valve for the feature.

You cannot activate a retail copy of Bioshock on Steam. The box has no Steam branding, and as far as the retail copy is concerned, Steam does not exist.

24. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 15:18 mOOzilla

I want to purchase games such as HL Ep2, Portal and Team Fortress 2 but since I have problems with Steam, I shall rant on any game that uses Steam in any shape or form if I damn well please

If you get a boxed copy in the store, you can activate it on Steam and get all the benefits of Steam without purchasing it via Steam.

Whether you get it on Steam or not, the publisher has to pay Valve for the feature.

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 15:20.

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

23. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 15:17 Bet

You're actually helping Valve and Steam by not purchasing a copy at all. One more copy not sold at retail is a Steam sale that isn't countered by a brick & mortar sale. Steam's numbers look better because of that attitude.

Added to the fact that Valve doesn't get a dime when you buy it at a store. That's why you don't get to activate it on Steam if you get a boxed copy.

Added to the fact that Irrational gets as much choice as to where their games are published and sold as they had choice to change their collective name to 2k Games Boston and 2k Games Australia, you're then penalizing the developers for their overbearing publisher's decision to sell the game at Steam as well as at retail.

Of course, this is all assuming you were going to buy the game, and aren't just using threads about Bioshock as places to rave about Steam's evils.

22. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 15:10 mOOzilla

Its true. Ask Thomas at Valve support

Sure I maybe don't need Steam but I want access to my OTHER games that are on Steam that they blocked my access to.

Until then, any Steam enabled games. I do not buy.

Fine I dont need Steam to play BioShock. I care not. It's Steam enabled and branded.

I don't care if you call me stupid or not. It could happen to YOU someday.

Steam was much easier than the DVD as some DVD copy protection did not work on my machine because it mistook my Virtualisation software for a hack of the DVD protection. Steam was my only way to get some games on my machine. I purchased from play.com then installed via Steam using the KEY on the CD. Cheaper and was easier to run on my machine. Download times are not a problem as it takes minuites as I am on a very high speed service and it could sustain it.

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 15:15.

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

21. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 14:53 Enahs

I do not know if I believe him or not. But I would be suing Valve for banning my account if I said "fuck". I have a lot of games and money invested in Steam.
Not only does the EULA not explicitly mention profanity (http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=subscriber_agreement) but then you would have to define what you consider profane.

If it is true, they are breaking their own contract with you.

And I would be incredibly pissed that they essentially stole my money.

- W. C. Fields

20. ? Aug 29, 2007, 14:34 Killer Kane

"... I use www.play.com but I still need to activate it on Steam"

No Steam account needed for this awesome game, the game has such twisted moments, I'm in awe

"Don't like my driving?
Then quit watching me"

19. Re: Steam Aug 29, 2007, 14:33 Krovven

I don't order on Steam, I use www.play.com but I still need to activate it on Steam

Wow you are a dumbass!

If you buy Bioshock retail you DO NOT (and cannot) activate it on Steam. Bioshock retail has absolutely no connection to Steam. Are you really this clueless?

No wonder you can't get your Steam acct reactivated...you are just too stupid. $10 says if you gave me the pertinent information for your Steam acct I could have it reactivated within the week.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing WoW - Burning Crusade
This comment was edited on Aug 29, 14:35.

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo