Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Project RPB Unveiled

RPG Vault's Project RPB Q&A chats with Michael Hoge about Project RPB, an upcoming fantasy-themed RPG in the works at Piranha Bytes after it turned out that the studio also known as Pluto 13 is no longer working on the Gothic series (story). The game is to be published by Deep Silver, following-up on recent reports that they were working on a collaboration with Piranha Bytes (story). They attempt to link to the preliminary RPB Webpage, which is actually here, but vexingly its Flash design makes prevents a web-based translation of its German text. The conversation introduces the game, but things are a bit vague for now. Here's a bit:

Project RPB will be a fantasy action RPG with a strong emphasis on a complex storyline, which takes place in a believable setting. To achieve this goal, we have been working on a setting for quite some time now, before we even started to design the actual characters, creatures and levels. Thus we have a very strong background to fit everything in, and there will be very few quests or characters that do not have anything to do with the bigger picture.

Everything builds upon certain points in the story, where the main events and turning points take place, and so, we are able to create a dense atmosphere. In addition, we are trying to top it off with some riddles, traps, an easy to understand skill system, and various player interactions like forging a sword or writing a magical scroll.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: No subject Aug 27, 2007, 08:06 Jerykk

I really like G2 and it can't be worse than Oblivion. Can it?

Oh, it can.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: No subject Aug 27, 2007, 01:03 Acleacius

Yeah, those are all great games, I am currently testing Wesp's 4.0 Unofficial patch and I think it's the best yet and I have worked at tested most the Unofficial patches from the beginning about a week after the official release 11/04.

I have avoided the other patch since they tried to use Wesp's work and claim it as their own, which in itself speaks for Wesp's quality.
When Wesp realized some didn't want all the changes he now offers a basic patch included in the Unofficial release.

Usually what I tell people is just download the files and read the readme file, I know the Unofficial version has detailed information on the changes and tips/tricks to prevent problems.
One of the issues I found, while testing the various patches and one of the biggest problems for many was the crashing.
I finally narrowed down about 80% of the crashing being due to trying to Save, Load or Change levels when Disciplines were active.
So trying to avoid Saving or Changing levels while Disciplines are active will eliminate most crashes.

If you have any questions about the Unofficial patch or changes you can ask here, I will try to check this thread or you can ask in the official forums, under forum planet, vampire, tech support.
http://www.forumplanet.com/planetvampire/topic.asp?fid=9643&tid=2080118

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succesion of violent images.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

16. No subject Aug 27, 2007, 00:59 space captain

its a pile of shit, bugs or no bugs - its horrible

Go forth, and kill!

15. Re: No subject Aug 27, 2007, 00:07 CreamyBlood

Have you played the Fallouts, Planescape: Torment, the Baldur's Gates, Arcanum, Vampire: The Masquerade, Anachronox, Divine Divinity?

Played them all except for Vampire and Divine Divinity. I actually have Vampire, just haven't figured out which of the two main fan patches I want to use.

Anywyas, it sounds like the technical issues have been ironed out so I think I'll take a gamble and pick it up some time. I really like G2 and it can't be worse than Oblivion. Can it?

14. Re: G3 Aug 26, 2007, 23:02 Acleacius

" Oh. Their games were buggy because this coding thing is sure mighty tough....... "

Maybe you should check back with your momma for updates and teach you how to pull your head out of your ass?
Nah, never mind too much to hope for I guess.

MacD
"G3 had one real bug, which was the speedtree setting in the ini file."
True, most other things were tweak and balance like the "Wildlife Stun Effect" or some of the physics and movement issues all which were fixed by patch 1.12 final.

Plus PB has mentioned several mistakes they made like thrusting players into the middle of a battle at the very start and the loot generation, I mentioned above.

The difference is PB was trying to innovate as they always try to do, since their games are cutting edge game play, story and character depth, it take far more time to debug and fix when something that has never been done before.

This means tons of experimentation, testing and debugging which remember that the publisher is in charge of Q&A, then making a list of priorities and sending them back to the dev for fixes.

These things are obviously ignored by the likes of Luthier's of the game world but hopefully one day their momma's can teach-um.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succesion of violent images.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

13. Re: G3 Aug 26, 2007, 21:38 MacD

No, Gothic 3 was buggy* because PB needed at least a month to debug/refactor their code, but didn't get that time because their publisher forced them to release the game. After that happened, their publisher blamed PB for a buggy* game and that as an excuse to strip them from their own IP whilst the reason for that was the publishers own fault!.

*G3 had one real bug, which was the speedtree setting in the ini file. If you tweaked the ini file, the game ran great. Sure, the loading time was literally ruinous to the game, but once loaded, the game ran and played flawlessly and bugfree. And the loading time could have been LOADS better, had the devs only gotten a few weeks to refactor the code. But they didn't, thanks to their publisher.

12. Re: G3 Aug 26, 2007, 12:54 Luthier

Both would seemingly fit your point but all you have to do is dig a little deeper and you have that both Obsidian and Troika made some of the most complex dialogue games, which are the toughest to debug, to the many possibilities of choices and freedoms both devs offer in their games.

Oh. Their games were buggy because this coding thing is sure mighty tough. So that's aright. Yessir. My momma done taught me that if sumn is tough, iss OK when you fail.

...m$...shitsta...

Oh.

Never mind. Why do I even bother.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 12:55.

11. Re: G3 Aug 26, 2007, 12:00 Acleacius

Don't know anything about Taldren and Starfleet Command series, but I know a little about Obsidian and Troika.

Both would seemingly fit your point but all you have to do is dig a little deeper and you have that both Obsidian and Troika made some of the most complex dialogue games, which are the toughest to debug, to the many possibilities of choices and freedoms both devs offer in their games.

Secondly then you need only look at m$ corruption of the gaming industry since they decided to get involved with consoles.
Setting insane development schedules that are AT least 50% of what games used to take, buying up most of the PC devs to make console games and implementing these horrid conditions.

And it's getting worst, remember 3 or 4 moths before shitsta's release and m$ was trying to play nice and saying they had harmed the PC industry and with this great new OS shitsta they would make everything better by unifying it?
Well now they are trying to force everyone to get shitsta and acting like dx10 is a great, while refusing to make their game compatible with dx9.

Those are just a few examples of what these devs have to put up with not to mention these PB, Obsidian and Troika made the most difficult and complex games, sad story really getting worst all the time.

10. Re: G3 Aug 26, 2007, 11:20 The Half Elf

Well there comes a point where reguardless of publisher the developers can't make a stable bug free game. Taldren and Starfleet Command series comes to mind, as well as Obsidian.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: G3 Aug 26, 2007, 08:16 Acleacius

Yes I really liked G3 even with all its flaws and it's an unfinished master piece with a few exceptions like loot generation.

If you have the machine to run it at fell effects it's certainly the best looking outdoor RPG and they are the pioneers of many features that leave many companies like bethseda trying to copy, abet poorly.
Features like Full Speech, Full NPC schedules, Lives, Meaningful quest and Dialogues which effect the world around you, way back in the late 90's when they were working on the original Gothic.

The reason the game had so many problems it was rushed out by the hack publisher they were stuck with, because the hack publisher had gone bankrupt and was trying to get the game out for the holidays.
Then those hacks tried to get PB the fix/patch the game for free, what a bunch of bastards, so PB was forced to find a real publisher.

One of the main problems was the new reputation systems between factions, which had meaningful, real world consequences, but it was so complex and innovative it sadly was never able to be tweaked.

If you’re a fan of the series it would be hard to pass it up, though one real condition would be you have a decent machine to have the best experience.
I would suggest at least a 3gig, 2gig Ram and say a minimum second generation card like a ati 1950 or a nv 7900.

Oh the game answers lots of questions, but creates more so again if you’re a fan, hard to pass up on PB's unique and innovative world.

8. G3 Aug 26, 2007, 06:38 SlamDunk

Well, while Gothic 3 is not the best in the series, it is definitely worth buying. I didn't encounter that many bugs in it. I guess it depends on how you play the game. There were a few annoying ones, though.

In fact, I was in love and married with the game for a long time. But now our ways have separated. But I'm sure we'll meet again.

Needless to say that I await RPB with great eagerness.

7. Re: No subject Aug 26, 2007, 04:37 Wilson

There's nothing wrong with modding Oblivion. Bethesda's game is broken, and it can be fixed.

6. Re: No subject Aug 26, 2007, 02:17 mag

You could go back in time. Have you played the Fallouts, Planescape: Torment, the Baldur's Gates, Arcanum, Vampire: The Masquerade, Anachronox, Divine Divinity?

5. Re: No subject Aug 26, 2007, 00:34 saluk

Yes. Gothic 1 and 2 are classics. Gothic 3 is not worth borrowing from a friend, let alone buying it. WTF? But I have hope that they will learn from their mistakes.

4. Re: No subject Aug 26, 2007, 00:01 Jerykk

No, Gothic 3 is not worth picking up. Even with all the user patches that fix many of the game's bugs, there are numerous fundamental design flaws in the game. Shallow, boring combat. Forgettable characters. Poor level design. Poor balancing. Poor sound design. Stupid AI.

On the bright side, it has good music. You're better off skipping the game and just buying the soundtrack.

3. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2007, 23:11 CreamyBlood

I so wish that I'd hadn't already played Gothic 2: Night of the Raven just so I could play it again.

I'm really trying to get into Oblivion with a bunch of mods, but it still seems like a chore. Unfortunately it sounded like Gothic 3 was a disaster and will never be fixed.

If anyone who enjoyed G2 and has played G3 please let me know if it's worth picking up. Or even if it's better than Oblivion. Not sure what else to play on the RPG front right now.

2. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2007, 22:04 everyone

that is correct, RPB is the work in progress titel.

1. No subject Aug 25, 2007, 21:25 Shadowcat

Am I right in thinking that RPB does in fact stand for "RPG in the works at Piranha Bytes"?

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo