Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on BioShock Activation

A post to the 2K Forums by 2K Elizabeth goes a little further into how the SecuROM online activation required to play BioShock (story) works when attempting multiple installs:

first, let me say this. you DO NOT NEED TO USE THE INTERNET EVERY TIME YOU PLAY THIS GAME. it is only the first time.

second, you can uninstall and reinstall this game, and if, by chance, you have 2 computers you want to simultaneously play this game on, you also can do that.

if by some chance you are reinstalling this game without uninstalling it first, a lot, there is a chance you may have to call securom and get a key, or deactivate some older installations.

but if you upgrade your hardware next week, you'll still be able to play the game. if you revamp your system and need to reinstall bioshock, just uninstall it before you go through the overhaul, and then do your reinstall.

calling it "hardware fingerprinting" is a bit alarmist. we do not transmit any of your data to any companies.

really, the only people who will be concerned about any of these security measures are those who are rapidly putting bioshock on many pcs... if you use the game as you normally do, you won't notice this at all.

View
156 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

16. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 15:07 Burrito of Peace

Do people really reinstall OS's???? I guess if a new one comes out & you want that, like Vista. But I don't want Vista yet. Do people really reinstall OS's???? That takes like, all fuckin day!!!!! Acronis makes reinstallation about as difficult as making dinner.

All day? I can get XP Pro installed with all current drivers and the apps I deem essential in 11 minutes and 37 seconds, we've timed it.

There are many more ways of installing something than just via disc. I use a network install and even Vista is very quick to reinstall.

How long does your Acronis take to restore that bloated image file?

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 15:08.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 15:06 Ecthelion

You'd think that, but you'd be wrong. Securom is fully intact, complete with the 2 installation limit. It's been posted already by a Steam Staffer.
Weird. I can understand the 2 installation limit, but other than that, what is Securom actually doing in the Steam version? It's not like it can validate the game disc.

14. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 15:02 Than

Does this "limited number of activations" stuff apply to Steam versions? Because the news mentions Securom, which the Steam version obviously lacks.

You'd think that, but you'd be wrong. Securom is fully intact, complete with the 2 installation limit. It's been posted already by a Steam Staffer.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 15:05.

13. No subject Aug 22, 2007, 14:53 m00t

What's that? DRM/Copy Protection harming legitimate consumers? Say it ain't so.

The only people ever inconvenienced by copy protection / DRM are the people who actually paid money for it.

This, along with every movie, game, song is already available for free on the internet. The people DRM/Copy Protection is supposed to prevent from having it already have it and do not have to live with this hassle.

Companies should stop WASTING money on DRM/Copy Protection. It'll save them far more than any amount they're "losing" from copyright infringement. Not to mention, their customers will not have to deal with this massive headache every time a new game is released.

Ever notice how one of the first patches for a lot of new games is to remove the copy protection? Funny, that.

12. or Aug 22, 2007, 14:52 Fausticle

...or you could just d/l the crack that just came out and forgo all this bullshit...

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 14:52.

11. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 14:52 Tumbler

3. I'm waiting for the detailed instructions on how you can go back and deactivate the older installation via uninstall once you've already reinstalled over it, or after formatting.

I'm very curious about this as well.

2K/Take Two could just let the install limit disappear over time, making each key installable only 2 times in any 30 day period. This would make it really hard to share the game when it was most popular. (First Month)

I'd love for someone to install this game 3 times so they get the error and call them and see how they resolve it. (claiming that uninstall was impossible obviously) I would assume they can manually get rid of each installs registration but if you installed it 10 times in a week they might say you have to wait 30 days if you want to install it anymore...?

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 14:53.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

10. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 14:46 Ecthelion

it will have all the drivers installed.
You can also try slipstreaming (that way you get all the drivers along with the drive wipe). I have never been able to get a working slipstreamed Windows disc, but other people seem to have success with it. Your mileage may vary, but it might be worth trying, especially since it's free.

9. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 14:42 Stolk

That's a pretty fucking stupid. Raise your hand if you uninstall all of your software before doing a OS reinstall.....oh that's right no one does.

I raised my hand.

8. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 14:41 Tumbler

Do people really reinstall OS's???? I guess if a new one comes out & you want that, like Vista. But I don't want Vista yet. Do people really reinstall OS's???? That takes like, all fuckin day!!!!! Acronis makes reinstallation about as difficult as making dinner.

Reinstalling OS is mainly new hardware for me. But occasionally it's just a fresh wipe, and it does take some time, about an hour I'd say between getting drivers loaded and what not.

I'll look into Acronis, I've been meaning to get software that makes it possible to ghost the drive so I can just write over everything when I feel like it and it will have all the drivers installed.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 14:42.

7. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 14:39 Ecthelion

Do people really reinstall OS's????
I've heard good things about Acronis, but never used it. People like me that don't care about our data enough to back it up just usually reinstall from scratch each time.

Does this "limited number of activations" stuff apply to Steam versions? Because the news mentions Securom, which the Steam version obviously lacks.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 14:40.

6. No subject Aug 22, 2007, 14:36 Cabezone

They should at LEAST do it like those bastards at Apple with Itunes. Even if you don't deactivate, you get five installs a year....not ever.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

5. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 14:30 Zephalephelah

I never reinstall. I just pop in my Acronis-cloned drive & the operating system is exactly as I reinstalled it. Then I copy any files over that are new. Then I clone the other drive.

4. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 14:30 Smoove

if by some chance you are reinstalling this game without uninstalling it first, a lot, there is a chance you may have to call securom and get a key, or deactivate some older installations.

1. "A lot" in 2K terms is apparently more than 2 times.

2. "There is chance you may" apparently means "you will certainly"

3. I'm waiting for the detailed instructions on how you can go back and deactivate the older installation via uninstall once you've already reinstalled over it, or after formatting.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 14:33.

3. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 14:29 nin

Raise your hand if you uninstall all of your software before doing a OS reinstall.....oh that's right no one does.

Correct.

I have to wonder if they plan at some point, say 3-6 months down the road, to issue a patch to remove Securerom? I know some publishers do that once the product reaches a certain age...

We still shouldn't have to go down this road, though...

Thanks 2K! Fuck you!

-----------------------------------------------------
Bioshock: "You're soon beset by deranged flappers and dandies, like Jay Gatsby's party guests gone feral."
This comment was edited on Aug 22, 14:29.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. No subject Aug 22, 2007, 14:23 Cabezone

if you use the game as you normally do, you won't notice this at all.

That's a pretty fucking stupid. Raise your hand if you uninstall all of your software before doing a OS reinstall.....oh that's right no one does.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

1. Rules Aug 22, 2007, 14:23 Tumbler

So many rules and things to consider just to play their game. I've always hated Disc checks and they seem to be heading in the wrong direction as an industry.

This stuff doesn't seem like a tactic to thwart piraters, it an attempt to exploit the paying consumers who share legal software between friends. How many people will think that their friends copy of this game won't work on their system so they have to go buy a copy of their own?
This comment was edited on Aug 22, 14:30.

156 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo