Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock: Only Two Installs

How many installs do we get? Transfer of ownership? on the 2K Forums (thanks Greybird) outline an issue that's been discovered with the SecuROM online activation required to play BioShock. Apparently the process will only allow for the game to be installed twice, which could obviously be a problem for folks who experience problems with their systems. The Steam Forums indicate that this problem afflicts the Steam edition of the game as well.

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

73. Re: Hrmmm... Aug 26, 2007, 12:25 >U

I'm not sure what the problem with D2D is. I bought Silent Hunter 3 via D2D 2 years ago. I had a hard drive fail, and reinstalled the game. I did an upgrade to a new computer and re-installed the game. I deleted it to make room for another game, then I watched "Das Boot" one night and decided I wanted it back, and re-installed the game. It activated perfectly each time.
Based upon that description you have used up either two or three of your five activations (activations for five hardware fingerprints). You have two or three left. Enjoy.

At any rate, I think it's safe to say I will have gotten my $19.99's worth.
If you are content to effectively rent games for $20 that expire, then good for you. However I am not, and I don't want such limited use to become the only way to purchase games because it amounts to nothing but a rental. The problem is that widespread consumer ignorance and acceptance of such restrictions as you have demonstrated will likely do just that.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 19:17.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Re: Hrmmm... Aug 24, 2007, 01:07 Prez

I'm not sure what the problem with D2D is. I bought Silent Hunter 3 via D2D 2 years ago. I had a hard drive fail, and reinstalled the game. I did an upgrade to a new computer and re-installed the game. I deleted it to make room for another game, then I watched "Das Boot" one night and decided I wanted it back, and re-installed the game. It activated perfectly each time.

Yes in 10 years, I might not be able to install it anymore, but by then I'll be playing Silent Hunter 6 or 7, right? At any rate, I think it's safe to say I will have gotten my $19.99's worth...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

71. Re: Hrmmm... Aug 22, 2007, 21:36 nin

Oh look, it's Assley/DJs new login...4 replies in a row and crying about Direct2Drive...

-----------------------------------------------------
Bioshock: "You're soon beset by deranged flappers and dandies, like Jay Gatsby's party guests gone feral."

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

70. I made a wise decision then. Aug 22, 2007, 21:05 Ant

Not to get the game. 10 hours long? Wow.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

69. Re: Hrmmm... Aug 22, 2007, 20:45 >U

For games where pirating isn't an option (mostly multiplayer games requiring a key to play) people generally seem to purchase the game rather than go without playing it (see the strong sales figures of WoW/UT/Battlefield, etc.
Imagine that! Highly rated and regarded games like those have strong sales. Yep, it must be the copy-protection/DRM.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 20:47.

68. Re: Concurrent installs Aug 22, 2007, 20:38 >U

That is a lot more reasonable. So the uninstall process must check in with the server and let it know that install XYZ is now gone and can be used again.

Clever...kudos for coming up with this system.
The system still sucks because what happens when you can't run the official uninstaller? I've had plenty of applications that wouldn't uninstall using their own damn uninstaller. Plus in the event of hardware failure the "activated" installation might not be available to uninstall. What then? Pray that Take 2 still supports the game and hope like hell it will get back to you with another activation code?

67. Re: Hrmmm... Aug 22, 2007, 20:27 >U

I can't imagine any developer would opt in to this sort of "protection."
You have apparently never bought a game from Direct2Drive or Trygames.com because all of the games from them are that way. You get one installation on five different PC's/hardware fingerprints and that's it.

66. Re: ... Aug 22, 2007, 20:26 >U

Once again, pirates will end up having a better version of the game. Will publishers never learn?
Speaking of which has this activation crap been circumvented yet?

65. ATTENTION PUBLISHERS! Aug 22, 2007, 20:05 z0dd

If your game's copy protections limits me, an honest customer, in any way, I will:
- Return your game to the store
- Back charge the credit charge if the above isn't allowed
- Not buy your game at all, when informed of this garbage

What limits me?
- Requiring the CD in the drive (not acceptable for me)
- Root kits
- Requiring me to login online (I sometimes play games offline)
- And now, limited installs
- <reserved for future moronism>

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 20:05.

64. Re: Hrmmm... Aug 22, 2007, 17:49 Jerykk

I would think that most of the sales of these games do not come from the hardcore gaming crowd.

Most sales of any top-selling game don't come from the hardcore crowd.

These are what determine sales, in order of importance:

1) Franchise.
2) Familiarity (themes, genre, etc).
3) Marketing.
4) Price.

Notice that quality isn't on there.

63. Re: Hrmmm... Aug 22, 2007, 17:21 MyRealName

Will publishers never learn?
They will the day that consumers stop buying into it.

Nothing drives people to pirate games more then bullshit DRM.

62. Re: Hrmmm... Aug 22, 2007, 16:55 Wowbagger_TIP

I'm really not sure how many average gamers even know how to pirate a game. If you go to a site to download a crack for a new, highly popular game like this one (which I'm definitely going to be doing once I pick up this game), you see a ton of morons posting because they don't know how to make it work. (What's a rar file? I tried to burn the iso to a disc and now I have a disc with an iso file on it but it doesn't work! etc, etc.) I'm guessing they get frustrated and eventually just go buy it, or maybe they just give up and move on to something else.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

61. Re: Hrmmm... Aug 22, 2007, 16:36 CTone

I don't see those as overpriced games. WoW provides A LOT of content

Well then our opinion differs here. I see any game that charges a monthly fee, especially one as high as 15 dollars a month, as overpriced.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 16:36.

60. Re: Hrmmm... Aug 22, 2007, 16:34 CTone

Conversely, games where pirating is always an option (single-player games) still have strong sales as well (any Sims game, Company of Heroes, Oblivion, etc).

You could argue (and I would agree with that argument) that the strong sales of these games are because these games do the best jobs of "speaking to the masses". I would think that most of the sales of these games do not come from the hardcore gaming crowd.

Oblivion is different, although I do hear a lot of bitching about it from PC players.

59. Re: Hrmmm... Aug 22, 2007, 15:50 Krovven

Are you kidding me? You believe Piracy put these guys out of business? Sin Episodes killed that company. They just couldn't get the work done on the game fast enough and when it shipped it flopped.

I don't believe piracy becomes a problem until a product is so overpriced that people choose to pirate because they refuse to pay retail prices. If piracy is not an option then they still refuse to pay the price.

That is your opinion...none of which is based on fact.

I'm only stating what they have said. Doesn't really matter if I believe them or not, fact is they are gone and Ep2 wont see the light of day and that is disappointing. Another fact is SiN Episodes sold plenty, again said from their mouth. You don't have any facts to back your claim up otherwise.

Again, just because you didn't like it doesn't make it a shitty game. Reviews were well above average, and most people that I know that played it, really enjoyed it. Just because you didn't like it, doesn't make it fact.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing WoW - Burning Crusade

58. Re: Hrmmm... Aug 22, 2007, 15:47 Tumbler

For games where pirating isn't an option (mostly multiplayer games requiring a key to play) people generally seem to purchase the game rather than go without playing it (see the strong sales figures of WoW/UT/Battlefield, etc.

I don't see those as overpriced games. WoW provides A LOT of content and is well above what you'd likely get spending the same gaming dollar on multiple games over several months, years, etc. UT and Battlefield are also games that provide a lot of content for a "reasonable" price.

Prey is a good example of a game that didn't earn it's $60 price tag. ($50?) Quake 4 was overpriced. Doom 3 was overpriced. These games were probably worth maybe $30.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

57. No subject Aug 22, 2007, 15:38 Mr. Tact

Slightly off topic, but I wouldn't want to miss out on a bitch session... when, WHEN, will games stop requiring you to leave the installation media in the drive? *sigh*  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

56. Re: Hrmmm... Aug 22, 2007, 15:32 Jerykk

Conversely, games where pirating is always an option (single-player games) still have strong sales as well (any Sims game, Company of Heroes, Oblivion, etc).

By pirating these games that don't appeal to many, instead of buying them, the dev's small potential selling base is reduced even less.

Actually, piracy is pretty good way to get people to play obscure games at all. If they enjoy the game, there's a chance they'll buy it or buy future games from the developer. On the other hand, nobody is going to spend $40 on some game they've never heard of. People are far more open when it comes to piracy. For example, it's a well-known fact that the Tribes community was built on piracy. I myself got into the game when a friend burned me a copy. Inevitably, I bought the game out of respect for the developers. I'm sure this also applies to many other games that aren't part of mainstream franchises or from established developers.

But in the end, the facts are pretty irrelevant. As long as publishers believe that piracy is taking a big chunk of profits, they'll continue to rely on overzealous and completely useless protection schemes.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 15:38.

55. Re: Hrmmm... Aug 22, 2007, 14:49 CTone

I don't believe piracy becomes a problem until a product is so overpriced that people choose to pirate because they refuse to pay retail prices. If piracy is not an option then they still refuse to pay the price.

I don't know about this. For games where pirating isn't an option (mostly multiplayer games requiring a key to play) people generally seem to purchase the game rather than go without playing it (see the strong sales figures of WoW/UT/Battlefield, etc.

54. Re: Hrmmm... Aug 22, 2007, 14:46 CTone

Name one. Please name one f... dev, who was forced out of business because of piracy!

Nobody knows how much piracy hurts developers, as nobody has stats on which games are pirated the most. It is interesting to think about, though.

My supposition: People that pirate games are typically experienced gamers. Experienced gamers are more likely to play games that don't have mass market appeal, and thus from the get go are likely to sell less. By pirating these games that don't appeal to many, instead of buying them, the dev's small potential selling base is reduced even less. I could see this forcing the developer to to either make games that appeal to the drones or go out of business. (Perhaps this happened to Black Isle?)

Sure one can say that "Well, it doesn't hurt their sales that I pirated it, since I wouldn't have bought it anyway", but they don't know, because the pirated game was available and they downloaded it.

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo