Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - BioShock

2K Games Announces BioShock Now Available has word that Irrational Games' first-person shooter is now available in stores for PC and Xbox 360. The game's playable demo was released last night (story), and here's the announcement:

New York, NY - August 21, 2007 - 2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), announced today that BioShock is now available in North America for Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Games for Windows®, and will be available in Europe beginning August 24. Developed by 2K Boston and 2K Australia, BioShock is a "genetically enhanced" first-person shooter that lets players do things never before possible in the genre.

Gamers enter the game as a castaway in Rapture, an underwater utopia torn apart by civil war. Caught between powerful forces and hunted down by genetically modified "splicers" and deadly security systems, players have to come to grips with a deadly, mysterious world filled with powerful technology and fascinating characters. No encounter ever plays out the same and no two gamers will play BioShock the same way.
"With the release of BioShock, we are redefining the shooter experience by providing players with the freedom to decide how to proceed and which actions to take," said Christoph Hartmann, President of 2K. "The teams at 2K Boston and 2K Australia have captured the essence of this underwater world and brought it to vivid life in the art design and open-ended storyline. Welcome to Rapture."

In the decaying art deco underwater city of Rapture, players can turn everything they encounter into a weapon, biologically modify their body with plasmids, hack devices and security systems, upgrade weapons, craft new ammo variants, and experiment with different battle techniques.

"The development team has been working on BioShock for years to push the limits in every way possible, so we are excited for gamers to finally experience BioShock as we've always imagined it," said Ken Levine, President and Creative Director of 2K Boston. "We delivered on our promise of bringing gamers a unique and enriching first-person shooter experience that not only challenges their capacity to adapt and survive, but tests their values and commitment to the inhabitants of Rapture."

View
171 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

171. ... Aug 27, 2007, 10:06 theyarecomingforyou

The thing to remember about LCD screens is they don't even refresh at all, that 60hz setting is just to fool your video card that there is indeed a monitor connected to it. So with no refresh it's definitely easier on the eyes.
My understanding is that they do refresh but they do so simultaneously, whereas CRT monitors refresh sequentially - that's the big difference and why 60Hz for TFT is great but 60Hz on a CRT will give people headaches.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

170. Re: No subject Aug 26, 2007, 10:15 ibm

Well this was the closest I've been to actually getting an xbox 360 in light of the various annoyances PC gamers have had to put up with, luckily my Edge magazine arrived yesterday and I read the review.

A few random quotes

It's at once a joy and a disappointment, achingly ambitious and cravenly conservative, and ultimately a complete triumph in one sense and a nagging failure in several others

..if Bioshock were to be reviewed on its first two hours alone, it would be game of the year material

The suspicion that this an uninspired FPS with inspired presentation takes root, and is rarely contradicted

...by the end you'll know the attack patterns inside out and dismiss them without either challenge or care. The various security devices are dealt with in exactly the same way from first to last. Even the Big Daddies prove surprisingly easy to dispatch, with a simple one-two punch of plasmid and grenade launcher seeing them fall after four or five repetitions. Doom had more enemy variety than this.
This comment was edited on Aug 26, 10:19.

Will still most likely get the game on my PC if I ever upgrade, the point is I don't think it's a system seller or game of the year material like other people on various forums.
This comment was edited on Aug 26, 10:27.

169. No subject Aug 26, 2007, 06:17 cronik

The thing to remember about LCD screens is they don't even refresh at all, that 60hz setting is just to fool your video card that there is indeed a monitor connected to it. So with no refresh it's definitely easier on the eyes.

True wide screen gaming at the native resolution setting of the LCD really is bliss and it's a shame more games don't support it properly, but that will change with time.

168. Re: So? Aug 22, 2007, 20:04 Creston

Playing with my mini-Big Daddy right in front of me,
Ray

Toooooo much information, Ray. WAY too much information

Creston

167. Re: Fix Aug 22, 2007, 16:03 Ray Marden

Yeah, I am totally loving the camera research.

Obviously, you increase your damage, but you get a lot of neat abilities, too, when you level up your research to full.

It took a llloonnngg time to finally be introduced in the game, but there is actually stealth involved in the game. It is not perfect, it is via a research plasmid, but it has been a lot of fun.

I have not experienced that issue with the Big Daddy; thus far, I have not found any "extra" little sisters. I have seen lots of Big Daddys respawn, but once the little sisters are gone, it is just the Big Daddy.

I have noticed that the little sisters, though finite to a level (thus far,) are not designated to a certain area. In essence, you can kill the first Big Daddy/little sister combo you run across and, if the following pairs are not in good areas to fight, you can wait some time and a little sister will eventually pair up with that Big Daddy respawn. From what I have seen, that newly-positioned little sister will count against your little sister total, but once all are shown as freed/harvested, I have not seen any new sisters spawn.

Really, this game is turning out to be deeper and deeper the more I play. And I still have a lot of levels to clear out! I can't wait to see what else they introduce next.

Now that I am gathering components and making things, where in the hell is the station to make the flamthrower? Or do I get it through the final boss on the current level? I am getting tons and tons of fuel, but nada on the weapon. Even some of the damn turrets are utilizin a flamethrower now - I hope I did not miss something obvious.

Edit: Never mind, found it. MWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Having learned to not be lazy; using the right ammo for the right fight,
Ray

-----
Q_Q
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
http://wowgems.jponrails.com/cut_gems/list
I love you, mom.
This comment was edited on Aug 22, 16:56.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

166. ... Aug 22, 2007, 15:49 theyarecomingforyou

Well unless you *need* HDMI or think the HD space is lacking or hate white consoles then the Elite is probably overkill. The regular system is more than fine.
Well, the Premium version of the console now includes HDMI so there's not really much use for the Elite.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

165. Re: Fix Aug 22, 2007, 13:04 Beamer

I'm having trouble finding spider splicers... and not caring. Too much fun. Although playing Pipe Dream is getting tedious, but after what happened to me that one time had the surgeon follow me into a turret I had hacked, for no reason at all, earlier in the game, cutting him to pieces I keep doing it.

I am a bit concerned about this generation of gaming turning death into part of the game. We went very quickly from games like Far Cry, which often made you fight the same monster five or six times thanks to the unforgiving save function, to games like this, Prey, The Darkness, etc, which incorporate dying into the game. In Bioshock you never fire the same bullet twice, when you die you come right back and whomever you were fighting still has all the damage you gave him.

I think I found a bug, too. I took care of all the little sisters in a level, then found one with another Big Daddy. But it said on the pause screen that none were left. So I fought the big guy, took him to 1/4 health left, got smoked, came back, the Little Sister was gone, and none came out from his knocking. Not sure what the deal was there, if it was a bug or if the pause screen isn't entirely correct.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

164. Fix Aug 22, 2007, 10:48 MMORPGHoD

If anyone wants to see the progress on a community made fix, you can go here:

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5927

More importantly, look at the results of the work done by Racer_S (with help from those at widescreengamingforum.com) in that thread.

Now that's what I'm talkin about!

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 10:57.

163. Re: So I did a system upgrade... Aug 22, 2007, 10:35 kanniballl

I couldn't justify spending $450 for an XBOX 360 Elite as a gaming machine. I needed a full upgrade for everything I do: music production, video editing, Flash, Photoshop, et all. I also needed a system that could give me the ability to go mobile in case I want to transition into doing live shows with my music. I've had people contact me asking about doing shows. It's now an option.

Well unless you *need* HDMI or think the HD space is lacking or hate white consoles then the Elite is probably overkill. The regular system is more than fine.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

162. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 08:55 MMORPGHoD

I have a widescreen monitor. I've seen the picture. Did you read the rest of my post?

I'm just saying that it is not a widescreen/fullscreen issue.

Yes, I think that the FOV is too small. But it has nothing to do with 4:3/16:9/16:10. It isn't a bug or lazy development. They aren't cutting up any image or adding to anything.

Pretend there was no 4:3 version, and just complain about the FOV if you don't like it

No. I didn't bother to read the rest of your post when it turned to the usual (I know what is going on and I'm telling you what the real problem is). The FOV in 4:3 is correct. It isn't correct in 16:9. The screen shots are just there for comparison purposes. Don't worry, 4:3 isn't going to change. It doesn't matter now, someone made a hack and at this point I don't really care to debate on theories on who is lazy, who did/didn't do a zoom/crop for 16:9 such that parts of the arm/weapon aren't visible, and didn't notice the WS problem in testing. That's not the point. The point is to fix the problem and get people playing an otherwise awesome game.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 10:21.

161. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 08:47 Ecthelion

Use DVI and tell the video driver not to stretch non-native resolutions. You will just get black borders/sides.
Unfortunately that depends on your video card and monitor. My monitor automatically scales and stretches non-native resolutions, regardless of my driver settings. From what I've been able to tell, cheaper monitors (like mine) don't support the option, so some of us are SOL.

Look here for more detail: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 08:47.

160. Re: So? Aug 22, 2007, 03:32 Kxmode

I'm just imagining all of you guys are like this with your mini Big Daddy figurines!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjSYfwZpj3U

-----
Ah ha! I caught you red handed Green cheating on Blue!
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
"Salmon Dance remix" posted (Chemical Brothers)

159. Bad Ass Aug 22, 2007, 03:15 PJ

Even though this game is smoking my poor 7900 GT and I have to run it on Medium settings to get a smooth experience I can't complain. This game is amazing. I hate the fact I have to get up in five hours to go to work and if I hadn't been out hurt last week I would probably call in sick tomorrow/today so I could play on into the early mourning.

Great game... superb!

158. Re: So? Aug 22, 2007, 02:27 Ray Marden

Well...

...their gifts are, thus far, proving pretty nice.

But I so feel they'll burn us for this one. These things are NOT human and their connection to the Bid Daddy is even more bizarre.

Nothing like fighting in a room and watching a Big Daddy just slowly pass you on the outside.

Meanwhile, this game just keeps on giving and giving...

I think it is great how you can go back and forth between any level you want. And yes, there are respawns, but it never feels too crazy.

The Big Daddy sure is a pain in the ass to kill, though. I still have yet to find a "good" way of doing - it either ends up being a messy fight or I had to pick away at it, finding hiding places to do so.

And just when I thought it could not get any better...

...I am have a total blast with the camera. The idea - research via camera - does not make sense, but I so do not give a damn at this point. And as you research more, you gain tonics, increased damage, the abilities to use their bodies for different things, a higher level of search, etc.

I'll be shooting stuff endlessly with my camera now!

I am so loving it. :)

Ray

-----
Q_Q
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
http://wowgems.jponrails.com/cut_gems/list
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

157. Re: So I did a system upgrade... Aug 22, 2007, 01:30 Kxmode

I mean, you're wearing some kind of archaic diver/spacesuit and your voice sounds kinda creepy.

"My name is Master Chief Billy Sunday. There was a preacher by the same name who cleaned up Chicago of all the (filth) that was making that place unfit for decent ... folks to live. The only difference between me and that old preacher is that he worked for God, and I *am* God!"

Welcome to Rapture!

-----
This comment was edited on Aug 22, 01:59.

156. Re: So I did a system upgrade... Aug 22, 2007, 01:27 Creston

Yes. It's electrifying!

Should I really trust you? I mean, you're wearing some kind of archaic diver/spacesuit and your voice sounds kinda creepy.

I just dunno. I'm so confused...

Creston

155. Re: Package Handling Aug 22, 2007, 01:26 Creston

So I know what you mean but that still doesn't mean it's right.

True, it's not, but hey, I got told that if I didn't deliver at least 90% of my packages on any given day, I'd get fired. So yeah, if I had 85 deliveries, and that one box said "fragile" on it, well...

(Actually, most of the time I just didn't take that box with me then, but hey.)

Creston

154. Re: So I did a system upgrade... Aug 22, 2007, 01:25 Kxmode

Are you sure this is safe to drink?

Yes. It's electrifying!

-----

153. Re: So I did a system upgrade... Aug 22, 2007, 01:23 Creston

No prob! Here's a beer. Welcome to Rapture!

Your "beer" is glowing some kind of nuclear blue... Are you sure this is safe to drink?

Creston

152. Package Handling Aug 22, 2007, 01:08 PJ

Yo, Creston I used to work for USPS before my new career as a technician drone working for the Evil Empire. So I know what you mean but that still doesn't mean it's right.

Either way mine isn't too bad and 2K is going to make good on a return policy which is nice of them.

So if your Big Daddy is busted check back here in a few days to get it replaced.

http://www.2kgames.com/bioshock/busted/

Not finding any Nvidia beta drivers for Bioshock or am I totally brain dead this evening?

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 01:08.

171 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo