Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock Demo

The BioShock demo is now officially available, after a poorly executed embargo that prompted a request on The Cult of Rapture that folks hold off until now in order to ensure the availability of proper video drivers. On that topic, the NVIDIA beta drivers with BioShock support are here and the ATI drivers are here. As for the demo itself, the 1.84 GB download is available from 3D Downloads, AusGamers, FanGaming, FileFront, FilePlanet (registration required), GameDaily, Gamer's Hell, GameSpot (registration required), Gameworld Network, and PixelRage. The demo is also available via Steam.

View
137 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

117. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2007, 09:32 jam777

I'm abit too old to be sitting infront of a tv screen with a paddle in my hand.

WHOA!! I haven't seen anybody use the word 'paddle' in years! Ah, yes, the good ol' Atari 2600. Those were the days.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

116. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2007, 09:03 LittleMe

Creston said: "You must be some kind of crazy, hyped up on coffee cyborg or something, if you can notice that 0.05 seconds of lag that wireless has over wired"

.05 of a second is 1/20th of a second. That's definitely noticeable! I bought a wireless mouse and could certainly feel the lag. I'm in the wire camp for now, too.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

115. Re: good game not amazing Aug 21, 2007, 08:52 manic half

I was honestly expecting something with RPG elements..

then you have nobody to blame but yourself. they have stated for a long time that bioshock is a shooter.

Overall it feels and looks like a console shooter..

wow! what are the odds of that?

system shock 2 had rubbish graphics even when it was released. the reason it is regarded so highly is due to story/mood. just like bioshock.

is it really that impossible to accept bioshock for what it is and enjoy? or because it did not meet your ill pre-conceived notions you refuse to play what it is?

114. No subject Aug 21, 2007, 07:20 Xero

LoL @ everyone saying how PC gaming is looking bad or this is a bad representation of it. Give me Starcraft 2 and every game on PC means nothing. SC2 is the messiah of PC gaming if you want to call it that, but I'm happy where it's at now. I'm abit too old to be sitting infront of a tv screen with a paddle in my hand.

Currently playing: Skyrim

113. good game not amazing Aug 21, 2007, 06:50 Bilbo

I know this is only a demo but I'm honestly not that impressed. I didn't like the combat it fealt dumbed down, is there more than 1 hitbox? The blood effect is terrible, it's not at all realistic and well looks a bit silly for a horror game.
Everything is of course heavily scripted ala half life. I really don't see what is supposed to be amazing, maybe the storyline is really deep but I think I already know whats going to happen.
I was honestly expecting something with RPG elements, but i fail to see where the RPG stuff is? Deus ex had a decent RPG element with body upgrades.
The graphics are nice but nothing amazing, character animation is pretty standard for an fps type game.
Overall it feels and looks like a console shooter and not a Pc shooter, still its probably the best single player fps game out for a long time, considering theres 0 competition.

112. No subject Aug 21, 2007, 06:19 D4rkKnight

I think the water looks great, better then what I've seen in other games, especially smaller touches like it rolling down stairs, it just looks amazing.

111. No subject Aug 21, 2007, 06:14 zirik

i just played the demo but have not finished it yet. the graphics is okay. it reminds me a lot about doom 3. too much bump mapping that makes everything look like plastic. the much coveted water effects is not that great. seen it before in bf2. the damage system on the human bodies is not that great either. soldier of fortune 2 had better damage system.

the only problem i came across in this game is when i turn up the graphic options to maximum the vert sync turns off even though i had it on. the screen is tearing in the middle when that happens. it is distracting especially when the water effects dont match top and bottom half of the screen.

has anyone played this with directx 10? i have not seen a comparison between directx 9 and 10 for this game. is it worth it?

110. Re: My impressions Aug 21, 2007, 05:49 Flo

Just played the demo on my samsung laptop with a T7100 core 2 duo und 8600 gs graphics. I had to turn the detail level to medium then it ran pretty okay but I'll be getting the xbox 360 version. I didn't notice any graphical glitches which is good since there are no nvidia drivers for their laptop chips (could still try modified inf drivers but what the hell).  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

109. Re: My impressions Aug 21, 2007, 04:45 Charlie_Six

Agreed, judging this game by the demo is probably like judging the Lord of the Rings by reading the first 10 pages.  
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

108. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2007, 04:38 SquirrelZero

There isn't actually mouselag in this game. The issue is really due to Unreal Engine, and is something that has been around in the engine about as far as I can remember. There is code in the base engine for something called "Mouse Smoothing" which attempts to interpolate the last location of the mouse pointer to the current location, based on a float variable passed to the algorithm. For some people with low or average mouse resolution, a small to medium value for this option is desireable because it feels a lot smoother. For those with high mouse resolution and a medium to low interpolation rate, this is actually very undesireable.

Instead of tracking the mouse location as it moves, it attempts to interpolate it, which results in "snapping" to the nearest point and thus the feel of jerky movement. If you look at the config file, which is encoded with a binary header, you can see mouse smoothing turned on. In most UE games, the option is given ingame to turn mouse smoothing on or off, but the controls menu in BioShock is surprisingly sparse. Also, because the ini is encoded with binary headers, it's impossible to edit it without decoding and re-encoding the file, which nobody has done yet. In fact, it may even be impossible if the game enforces certain settings upon startup if they differ from the defaults. Overall, I am extremely disappointed that you can't manually edit the config in this game. Presumably, they originally did this to prevent hacking of certain settings in the Xbox 360 version (something I helped do on the last UE3 360 game I worked on) but the reasoning for doing this on the PC absolutely escapes me.

I guarantee it won't take long for someone to release a small program to decompile and recompile the config file after the final release of the game. There are a lot of familiar UE3 options in there that I would like to enable/disable. Sigh.

edit: To those who think this is not UE3, having worked on UE3 I can tell you with 100% certainty that it is indeed UE3. I can't see anyone, under any circumstances, implementing as many UE3 settings as I see in the BioShock config file, over to UE2. It would be far easier, time monetarily-speaking, just to port the game over to UE3. Also, the logo you see when booting up the demo is the UE3 logo. I'm not sure if you can even use that if you're not using a UE3 base.

edit: "Rand" almost certainly refers to Ayn Rand, the author of "Atlas Shrugged," the very basis of the premise behind BioShock. If not, I would guess that it referred to the rand() function, commonly used in many programming languages to generate a random output based on a factor of time. But based on the game's setting, I would take the former guess over the latter.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 04:46.

107. ... Aug 21, 2007, 04:30 theyarecomingforyou

This is NOT unreal 3 engine based, it uses a heavily modified unreal 2.x engine more or less based off of Tribes Vengeance.
That's not what Bioshock websites are reporting:
Originally BioShock was being built on an Irrational-modified version of the Unreal 2 Engine known as Vengeance. Since then it has been ported to Unreal 3.0 and has once again been heavily modified.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

106. Re: So this is the Unreal3 engine? Aug 21, 2007, 04:17 Stolk

this is not making sense. why are we supporting PC gaming again? how come we're okay with spending thousands of dollars on dual core processors + 2GB of high quality RAM + a $500 graphic card to get a decent framerate when a $350 xbox 360 does the same thing smoothly?

Wow I was rolling my eyes at this thread 10 minutes ago... before I tried the demo. The Xbox 360 demo was amazing. This, unfortunately, is a mess. Unplayable with mouse and graphic problems. What a let down.

I seriously may disregard my PC preorder and just get the Xbox version.

105. No subject Aug 21, 2007, 04:14 DangerDog

This is NOT unreal 3 engine based, it uses a heavily modified unreal 2.x engine more or less based off of Tribes Vengeance.

104. No subject Aug 21, 2007, 04:01 Waterski

Activation process has been terminated. Please make sure the SERIAL NUMBER has been entered correctly.
Press BACK to attempt another activation, click MANUAL ACTIVATION to activate manually or press CANCEL to abort. If the problem persists please contact mailto:support@securom.com.

The activation server is unable to complete your request. Please contact the software vendor.

103. Re: you all convinced me Aug 21, 2007, 03:59 NewMaxx

I haven't played the Demo, Cheese, but I'm guessing "Rand" refers to Ayn Rand.

102. BioShock Aug 21, 2007, 03:51 Kxmode

Blue screen of death on the demo right after the elevator ride. Everything up until that point was surprisingly smooth @ 1280 x 1024 with most of the settings maxxed and vsync disabled. I don't want to get the nVidia drivers for a demo.

I'll probably just knuckle down and buy a 360 pro. I read that you can pretty much hook up the 360 to any screen (e.g. plasma, computer monitor, hi-def, projection screen). Just wish Microsoft would make keyboard/mouse available on 360. But serious for the price of a decent video card what the hell right? I don't have the money or patience to do a system upgrade. Besides my current system can handle all of my current stuff fairly well.

-----
Ah ha! I caught you red handed Green cheating on Blue!
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
"Salmon Dance remix" posted (Chemical Brothers)
This comment was edited on Aug 21, 03:58.

101. Played the demo. Aug 21, 2007, 03:48 Ant

http://aqfl.net/?q=node/5250 for my comments. Nice game, but not enough for me to get the full game. I want SHODAN!!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

100. Re: So this is the Unreal3 engine? Aug 21, 2007, 03:22 rocketpcguy

this is not making sense. why are we supporting PC gaming again? how come we're okay with spending thousands of dollars on dual core processors + 2GB of high quality RAM + a $500 graphic card to get a decent framerate when a $350 xbox 360 does the same thing smoothly?

99. So this is the Unreal3 engine? Aug 21, 2007, 03:03 Cartman

It definitely must be the latest Unreal engine because it runs like crap on a high-end machine(Intel® Core™2 Duo at 3.2GHz with 3 gigs of RAM, XP32 Pro) with a mid-range videocard(Nvidia 7900GS). Min 15, Max 31, Average 21.717FPS according to FRAPS.

Mark Rein must be proud that a game based on the new Unreal tech runs like shit on the average system.

Jesus Christ, what is wrong with game developers? Are they all working with Nvidia to make people buy more expensive videocards?

Thanks,
Conky

P.S. Managed to make it run 40-50FPS by turning off several video options. Too bad they didn't have a "video bob" turn off option. It didn't make the game any better even when it ran faster.

http://forum.ramanon.com

98. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2007, 02:56 CJ_Parker

I love Oblivion, but having to fucking slog my way through that cunt of a beginner dungeon every single time I start a character pisses me off to no end.

Dude, seriously, are you retarded? All you have to do is make a savegame at the end of the dungeon ONCE because you can change every little detail about your character including looks, gender, class, well, everything right before leaving the dungeon. If you google for it you will probably find 1000s of places on the net with savegames just at that point.

That you wouldn't know this gives me the sneaking suspicion that you never even made it out of that "cunt of a beginner dungeon". Why call it "cunt" anyway? Did you get lost? Too stupid to find the exit? Hint of the month: It's straight ahead. Come on, dude. You can do it! Try harder!!!

----------------------------
*** Born to troll ***

137 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo