Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock Demo

The BioShock demo is now officially available, after a poorly executed embargo that prompted a request on The Cult of Rapture that folks hold off until now in order to ensure the availability of proper video drivers. On that topic, the NVIDIA beta drivers with BioShock support are here and the ATI drivers are here. As for the demo itself, the 1.84 GB download is available from 3D Downloads, AusGamers, FanGaming, FileFront, FilePlanet (registration required), GameDaily, Gamer's Hell, GameSpot (registration required), Gameworld Network, and PixelRage. The demo is also available via Steam.

View
137 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

137. xbb May 31, 2008, 02:00 cxb

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 17, 08:26.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

136. Mel Gibson Aug 29, 2007, 15:48 Eldaron Imotholin

Have you guys seen the Mel Gibson poster on the ceiling in the bigger room?

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

135. ... Aug 27, 2007, 15:16 theyarecomingforyou

Are all games doing this these days?
That is awful. I think it's reasonable to allow the company that makes the game to use screenshots / images of mods in advertising but not to own the rights to it. It's like a lot of free web hosting sites that state they take ownership of any files uploaded and can do anything they like with them... it's sickening.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

134. Another mirror Aug 22, 2007, 15:27 V

http://www.fileaholic.com/cgi-sql/file-info.sql/148557

133. Re: Uh. Aug 22, 2007, 08:17 Ecthelion

Maybe not all, but I've seen it pretty often. It's becoming more prevalent.

132. Re: Uh. Aug 22, 2007, 00:28 SquirrelZero

No, that's a pretty slimy thing to do to modders.

131. Uh. Aug 21, 2007, 22:15 Wilson

(a) All Customized Game Materials created by you are exclusively owned by LICENSOR and/or its licensors (as the case may be) and you hereby transfer, assign and convey to LICENSOR all right, title and interest in and to the Customized Game Materials and LICENSOR and its permitted licensors may use any Customized Game Materials made publicly available to you for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to for purposes of advertising and promoting the Software;

130. Re: My impressions Aug 21, 2007, 15:10 sponge

I think it's a bit premature to judge whether or not the -game- is worthy of the scores it's been getting, based solely on a short, highly linear demo. From all accounts, the game opens up significantly once you get past a certain point.

Agreed, judging this game by the demo is probably like judging the Lord of the Rings by reading the first 10 pages.

I agree too. But how else am I supposed to judge if I like the game?

For the record, I ended up buying it on Steam since I need something else to play the next couple of weeks, but otherwise, I'm kinda screwed based off such a tiny demo.

129. No subject Aug 21, 2007, 12:41 Cabezone

I thought that the mouse movement was wonky. I couldn't put my finger on it though. At least now I know I'm not nuts.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

128. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2007, 11:24 xXBatmanXx

Creston said: "You must be some kind of crazy, hyped up on coffee cyborg or something, if you can notice that 0.05 seconds of lag that wireless has over wired"

.05 of a second is 1/20th of a second. That's definitely noticeable! I bought a wireless mouse and could certainly feel the lag. I'm in the wire camp for now, too.

QFT

Rev. Norb: I'd just like to say that four for a dollar Tijuana tacos seemed like a good idea at the time. Please pass the toilet paper.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

127. Re: Mouse Smoothing Aug 21, 2007, 11:23 SquirrelZero

That wouldn't make any sense, because (from what I can tell) it doesn't read config settings from the Default.ini, it reads them from the ConfigINI.IBF file. And setting CaptureMouse to false would probably prevent the mouse from working entirely. The only purpose that the Default.ini would serve is to restore config settings to their defaults, I believe, which might actually be useful. If you could force it to reset your graphics settings ingame, it may apply all the D3D settings (including ReduceMouseLag, which is what turns on mouse smoothing).

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 11:25.

126. Mouse Smoothing Aug 21, 2007, 11:16 Fendryl

Suggested in the 2k forums:

Default.ini under [WinDrv.WindowsClient] change CaptureMouse=True to CaptureMouse=False

I haven't had a chance to check to see if it works though.

125. Re: Cutscene? Aug 21, 2007, 10:42 MeatForce

HEHEEE! Don't blame ya

First thing I noticed -- there's a new option in the 360 Options menu:

Unlock Framerate: "On" Maximizes framerate but may degrade visual quality

Wacky.. kinda looks like it toggles AA, but I bet there's more to it than that.

k. I'm outy!

EDIT: whatever it does, it does it with V-Sync turned OFF --- ewww... screen tears like a mofo

kthxbye!

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.
This comment was edited on Aug 21, 10:55.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

124. Re: Cutscene? Aug 21, 2007, 10:29 Enahs

MeatfartsForce, have I told you lately how much I hate you? As I really really do hate you.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js
This comment was edited on Aug 21, 10:30.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

123. Re: Cutscene? Aug 21, 2007, 10:24 MeatForce

WOOT! Just got home with my copy!!!

OMG haven't been this excited to skip work and play a game in ages -- will be sure to post my impressions of full version vs. demo as soon as I get some.

IT BEGINS...

THE PLAYENING!!!!

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

122. Re: Cutscene? Aug 21, 2007, 10:18 SquirrelZero

I think I may have a found a way to change config settings without corrupting your INI. I'll experiment and return with my findings and hopefully a fix for the mouse smoothing issue.

121. Cutscene? Aug 21, 2007, 10:16 Evil Timmy

Heh, here's the trifecta. A few friends were over and we were all watching as it was first played through. We made it to the surface and sat there for ~10 seconds before I said 'Move...' questioningly, and...well, it turned out it wasn't a video. Got some dropped jaws and 'Oh sweet' from the group. Six hours 'till Steam unlocks this beast. Can't wait.

I'd strongly encourage everyone to actually get a chance to play this, not just the demo. It's obviously a very tiny slice of the actual game and features. You don't properly encounter little sisters/big daddies, who are a big part of the game, obviously; not to mention physics (beyond materials) haven't come in at all, no new ammo types, no good way to spend money, all of two enemies, two guns, and two plasmids, and the antagonist only makes a brief cameo (if you could even call it that) right at the end. For a game that's so much about freedom of choice and exploration, they gave a pretty straightforward and limited slice of the whole pie.

120. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2007, 09:45 nin

Something rather funny was that I didn't realize the beginning of the game wasn't a cutscene.

I did the same thing on the 360. With the fire and water effects, I thought it was a render. Blew my mind when I realized it was in real time...

-----------------------------------------------------
Bioshock: "You're soon beset by deranged flappers and dandies, like Jay Gatsby's party guests gone feral."

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

119. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2007, 09:36 PHJF

system shock 2 had rubbish graphics even when it was released. the reason it is regarded so highly is due to story/mood. just like bioshock.

And plot, and non-linear mapping. Bioshock seems like it will be pretty heavy on plot, but if that demo is anything to go by then it will be as linear as all hell.

------
"That don't look like no golden marmoset I ever seen!"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

118. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2007, 09:34 Ecthelion

.05 of a second is 1/20th of a second. That's definitely noticeable! I bought a wireless mouse and could certainly feel the lag. I'm in the wire camp for now, too.
I agree with Creston on this one. I've never noticed any lag with my MX1000. I don't use it for gaming anymore, as I moved to a different mouse, but I didn't move to wired because I didn't like wireless. Then again, I don't play multiplayer, so maybe that's why I've never noticed any lag, as I'm pretty tolerant of framerate dips when I play games.
Oh, and I'm one of those unwashed heathens who likes trackballs, too (although I've never used a wireless trackball).

Re: the demo, I tried it last night for about 5 minutes, which was enough to see that it would run well on my computer. I uninstalled it and ordered the game on Steam right away. No spoilers for me, thanks.

Something rather funny was that I didn't realize the beginning of the game wasn't a cutscene. I sat there for a minute or two before I realized I could start moving. I guess I'm too used to seeing a HUD when the player has control.

137 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo