Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tabula Rasa Collector's Edition Announced

NCsoft announces plans for a Collector's Edition for Tabula Rasa, while will include exclusive content for the upcoming MMORPG:

Austin, Texas, August 20, 2007—NCsoft®, the world’s leading developer and publisher of online computer games, announced their plans for the Richard Garriott’s Tabula Rasa® Limited Collector’s Edition, which will be released to stores in North America and Europe when the game launches this fall.

This special retail box offers customers exclusive in-game items, including a special character emote, exclusive dye recipes players can use to create unique armor colors, and a unique pet. Players who purchase the Limited Collector’s Edition box also receive a briefing from Richard Garriott’s alter-ego in the game, General British, classified maps, an Allied Free Sentients (AFS) field guide, Tabula Rasa dog tags, an AFS challenge coin and a special edition poster.

The Limited Collector’s Edition also includes one month of free game play and a “Making of Tabula Rasa” DVD.

One of the most anticipated PC games of the year, Tabula Rasa is the latest title by gaming legend Richard Garriott and offers a strikingly new approach to the design of multiplayer online games by combining a vast, persistent game world and rich storyline with fast-paced action. The game introduces several innovative elements to massively multiplayer online (MMO) games, including a Character Cloning System™ that allows players to explore different character classes without having to create a new character. Dynamic battlefields and ethical parables make this MMO game incredibly immersive, where players really feel a part of the ongoing war effort.

“The Limited Collector’s Edition we have put together for Tabula Rasa is loaded with cool things for players who really get into the role-playing aspect of the game,” said Executive Producer Richard Garriott. “Regular players will find the maps and field guide useful as they move full-force into the game’s fast-paced action. Other items, like the dog tags and challenge coins, bring home the ‘brothers in arms’ feeling of this game even when you aren’t playing.”

When the game launches later this fall, players will find the Richard Garriott’s Tabula Rasa Limited Collector’s Edition at most local and online retailers and at the PlayNC store (https://secure.plaync.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl).

For more information about Richard Garriott’s Tabula Rasa visit http://www.rgtr.com.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 23:03 CreamyBlood

'Geared out the rear by a sugar daddy'. Makes sense now. It's bizarre how fast the English language evolves. I wonder how many sixteen year olds are using this term in the context of the game and don't realize what it means?

Regardless, it gave me an unexpected chuckle.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 22:12 PropheT

I hope it means something else in WoW but I always thought that 'twinks' were young gay men

Nope, it means the same thing.

Ok, actually it means a lower level character that's geared out the rear by your higher level one. Been used with MMO's since EQ as far as I'm aware of.

20. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 20:39 CreamyBlood

I've never played WoW but:

Sounds like I might have to keep working on twinks in WoW once I'm really bored.

everyone and their dog has a twink Warlock

I hope it means something else in WoW but I always thought that 'twinks' were young gay men. You're statements just made me laugh beer all over my monitor.

19. Re: hmm Aug 20, 2007, 19:46 Theo

in the beta, dont wanna say much cause i dont wanna break nda, .... so instead i wont say anthing about TR...

I am playing AO, AGAIN after 6 years, still the best sci-fi mmorpg with depth.. (hopefully says it all, funcom why o why not hurry up with a new fancy clinet for ao?)/

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 19:48.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

18. hmm Aug 20, 2007, 19:21 natx

I played beta. the best thing about the few hours I played was the music, if that tells you anything. the game did not have enough lure for me to have me drop playing other games like bf2 and vanguard. a good MMO should do that.

17. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 18:59 Krovven

Scrapper not Brawler, Missions not Quests.

yea yea, Missions and Quests are synonymous.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing WoW - Burning Crusade

16. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 18:11 The Half Elf

First off a couple of things.
Scrapper not Brawler, Missions not Quests.

As for Solo'ability City of Heroes probably is the second easiest to Solo out of the MMO's currently on the market. WoW still being first.
Granted some of the AT's in the early levels (and builds) CAN solo, but it's a pain in the ass. Typically these AT's have something that make them pretty desirable in groups.

But both COH/COV and TR suffer from the same thing. Good Combat, character custimization, horribly boring content.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 16:34 Krovven

but I haven't played since the first 3-6 months the game was released.

Bought it the day it came out, played for 6 weeks or so and then quit. Largely cus I didn't want to have to group every time to do quests, and secondly when I realized they didn't even have the low level raid stuff (lvl 20ish) functioning in the game.

14. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 16:25 xXBatmanXx

It didn't used to be. Going into an instance to do a quest usually required at least 2 or 3 people, or more because of the 4 to 6 man groups of NPCs.

QFT.

Unless you were a brawler - you couldn't pay alone. Even then, if a next level guy got ahold of you in a mob, you were done.

A brawler and 1 other person can own a lot of the game (back in the day) - but I haven't played since the first 3-6 months the game was released.

Couldn't justify paying monthly and not knowing when I could play - life just gets too busy.

Rev. Norb: I'd just like to say that four for a dollar Tijuana tacos seemed like a good idea at the time. Please pass the toilet paper.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

13. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 16:14 Krovven

CoH is extremely solo friendly.

It didn't used to be. Going into an instance to do a quest usually required at least 2 or 3 people, or more because of the 4 to 6 man groups of NPCs.

Just remembered a friend still has my CoH box...at least I hope he does.

12. demo Aug 20, 2007, 16:10 Kxmode

I'm not going to spend my money on this until I can demo it, period.

-----
Ah ha! I caught you red handed Green cheating on Blue!
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
"Salmon Dance remix" posted (Chemical Brothers)

11. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 16:02 Fion

CoH is extremely solo friendly. The only AT's that really have problems solo are

1: People with builds that are highly group oriented

2: Controllers - but their damage has since improved. They still aren't all that fast at soloing though.

10. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 15:48 The Half Elf

Well overall TR right now is pretty lack luster. The abilities and Combat are top notch, but for some reason it has the feel of Everquest 1, in that your sorta dropped off in the middle of a conflict without alot of info about what all your trying to do etc.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a bit of hand holding in the start of MMO's but there really isn't enough story behind it to really push the 'struggle' to survive.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 15:37 Krovven

Sounds like I might have to keep working on twinks in WoW once I'm really bored.

I'm finding that everyone I group with at lvl 70 wants to tell me how to play a Warlock, cus we all know everyone and their dog has a twink Warlock. It's getting tiring trying to explain that there is at least half a dozen different ways to play a Lock depending on which Spec you go.

Thinking about reactivating City of Heroes...but wondering if its anymore solo friendly for questing than it used to be?

8. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 15:30 Horde4Life

I haven't played the beta in quite a while; but have they allowed you to customize/resize the UI at all? I just thought that it felt very clumsy, and it was almost like they took the WoW UI and threw it upside down just for the sake of being different.

I want my chat box down on the left hand side of the screen, my avatars HP/Mana/etc in the upper left, etc.

-----------------------------

$OE - they put the FU in fun!
==Boycott EA==

7. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 15:21 ColoradoHoudini

Without breaking the NDA, I'll say that I'm not terribly impressed with the game at all. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I don't know what's out there to look forward to, so I don't know the reason to keep playing.

In WoW, I knew there were mounts, the new items, big raids, cool dungeons with neat monsters and bosses.. etc. I could see how big the game was, and how much I had to look forward to. In TR, I can't see anything to look forward to. The devs haven't given me reason 1 to keep playing.

Also, as it has been said, I haven't seen one revolutionary thing in the game yet or coming that makes me say "awesome!".

One thing i absolutely hated about CoH was that the caves were horribly done, to the point where you can't see which way is up, or out.. TR has the same issue. very stuffy, and confusing in those damn caves.

There are so many little bothersome things in the game that I don't like.. for example, I cannot tell when a mob aggros on me. In WoW, you get a sound, and certain abilities get greyed out, and a mob window appears on your screen. If TR has that, i don't see it.

I dunno man, it just feels incomplete and like Fion said, shallow.

6. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 14:58 Fion

Yah this is going to be no different than wow accept the setting and the one thing wow has going for it is blizzard, their art direction is second to none

The art direction is good, but I wouldn't call it second to none by any stretch of the imagination. 9/10ths of what you see in the Outlands has been done before, and done better, in other games. Hell 6 years ago in Anarchy Online's first expansion, the Shadowlands, look a HELL of a lot cooler then the Outlands in WoW.

As to Tabula Rasa, I've been beta-testing it since early summer, and I've run up against a LOT of boredom with it. I try to stick with it, but it just get tedious. As much as UO was about variety of content and things to do and fun open PvP and giving a player a plethora of choice and having a tun of depth. Tabula Rasa is a complete 180 to that IMHO. The combat is quite unique and pretty fun. But the game suffers from an extreme lack of variety and is very shallow. The combat is all there is to the game, and as fun as it is, you can get fatigued from it really quickly. Especially after the newbie area where there isn't any place you can go (besides directly inside a base,) were there aren't dozens of mobs spawning every few seconds. It gets really tiring.

That said, the combat is rather fun. The graphics are shaping up quite nicely with a new specular lighting system recently put in. It's also very casual friendly. You can hop in and have a blast for an hour every few nights. It's just, extremely shallow. If that doesn't bother you, then you may well LOVE it. A lot of testers do. I personally just typically go for MMOGs with a lot of variety, depth and complexity. TR is none of those things.

The NDA is still up, yes. But it's extremely close to coming down. The game is almost in an open beta right now, with tens of thousands of testers.

Also don't take my above statement as a bad review. For what TR does, it does it very nicely. It just isn't my type of MMOG. It suffers, IMHO, from the same shortcomings as Planetside. It's a great game, but I just don't see it justifying a monthly fee.

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 15:01.

5. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 14:30 Krovven

It's still closed and under a non disclosure agreement.

Won't stop most people...

4. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 14:20 rvd

You can get the Pre-Order Bonus Pack and get access to the Beta.
It's still closed and under a non disclosure agreement.

3. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 14:07 Sempai

Yah this is going to be no different than wow accept the setting and the one thing wow has going for it is blizzard, their art direction is second to none.

Ill be picking this one up but im not listening to all his hype about how its going to change my life.

I just hope its stable, runs well and is bloody finished for release, im tired of plunking down 50 bones for an unfinished, rushed out the door product that will of course be patched at a later date.

Heres to Tabula Rasa, the first sci-fi mmorpg im willing to look at since AO.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo