Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mafia 2 Announcement Nears

Tiscali Games has uncovered word that a Mafia 2 announcement is in the offing, having discovered a ratings listing for a trailer that will show off the game at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany. A subsequent post on IGN says to expect an announcement next week, while a post on Computer and Video Games suggests that the sequel to Illusion Softworks' life-of-crime game may be officially announced as early as today. Illusion actually revealed they were at work on a Mafia sequel back in late 2003 (story), but nothing has been mentioned of this project since then.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: AIIIIIEEEE Aug 20, 2007, 08:32 Ecthelion

Also, I sort of disagree with your accessment of their previous games, having a great story is what makes anything a classic.
So the fact that those other games didn't have a great story isn't becasue no one expects a great story.
A great story can almost carry a game, it's they didn't bother if they could or they tried and didn't succeed.
Well, the story in H&D2 was fairly good, to be honest. But it was trapped by the confines of the tactical genre. There's only so much storytelling you can do in such a game. If they had focused on the story more, the tactical element would have suffered (it would have been more linear, for one thing). Did I feel an emotional connection to the characters? No. But that's inherent to a game where you can choose from over a dozen characters for your team. It would be impossible to make an in-depth story accommodate that kind of player freedom.

I still say certain genres are stuck with story limitations. Even the best story in a FPS (arguably Half Life or Half Life 2) is full of cliches.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: AIIIIIEEEE Aug 20, 2007, 05:30 Acleacius

Thanks for the link, Superbulletproof.

It really doesn't matter as Illusion did what they did, you enjoyed it for the cinimatic feel and I disliked it because I think it's important to keep well developed characters becasue they connect the player to the world and most of the best stories involve the struggle of retaining your Humanity in the midist of Struggle, which is not possible with the world we all were introduced to any more.

A perfect example is mu first impression of the Mafia 2 Trailer review posted by Superbulletproof.
Maybe it's going to be the greatest ever but I didn't have any reason to empthise with, no struggle.

Also, I sort of disagree with your accessment of their previous games, having a great story is what makes anything a classic.
So the fact that those other games didn't have a great story isn't becasue no one expects a great story.
A great story can almost carry a game, it's they didn't bother if they could or they tried and didn't succeed.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succesion of violent images.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

35. mafia 2 trailer revealed Aug 20, 2007, 04:11 Superbulletproof

Subdogs have seen the trailer...wow...

http://www.subdogs.se/artiklar.php?ID=18

34. Re: AIIIIIEEEE Aug 19, 2007, 12:14 Ecthelion

Missed this, well in the case that everyone knows, the obvious change would be the final scene, not happening.

There would be many different directions they could go and we would already have a connection to the story, something to cause about.
I don't see how that would help. Because of the intro and the way the game essentially plays out as a narration of past events, most of the characters would be out of the picture for a sequel anyway. You'd have to completely remove the intro and back-and-forth nature of the narration. Basically, to have a sequel use the existing characters, the game would have to progress in chronological order. Even then, the events of the game ensure most of the characters would be absent from the sequel (or at least absent from major roles). The entire story of the first game would really have to change for a sequel to pick up where the first one left off.

You seem to either think it's common to have deep likeable stories with depth ot maybe you know something thing about Illusion's abilities.
No, I simply see the effort Illusion put into Mafia, and I think they could do it again. If you think Mafia was such a rarity in terms of quality and story (which I agree with), the sequel would be just as likely to suck with the same characters as it would with new ones. There are dozens of movie sequels that prove it's easy to destroy a character that was so well done in the original. At least if Illusion uses all-new characters and fails, you won't have your views of the Mafia 1 characters "tainted".

They have H&D 1 & 2, Flying Heroes and Vietcong, so H&D is the next most successful, but at least to my knowledge it's not due to Depth of story, it's due to the good Stratigy Combat.
You're right - H&D 1 and 2 are good for their gameplay and strategy, not their stories. But that's the nature of the genre. Nobody expects a great story from games in the SWAT, Rainbow6, or GRAW series. Vietcong focused a little more on the story, but great stories aren't really expected from FPS's either. Mafia is the only game Illusion has attempted that had the story as its main focus. Since Illusion has had a 100% success rate for story-driven games, I have confidence they can pull it off again.

I am not saying some didn't enjoy the ending, just don't think most agree with it
If most people don't agree with it, it's because most don't like endings to do what Mafia did (I'm trying to stay somewhat spoiler-free here). Look at any show where something similar happened to one of the characters, and you'll see people just as upset about that.

33. Re: AIIIIIEEEE Aug 19, 2007, 03:40 Acleacius

"But if you don't want to share your ideas, that's okay"

Missed this, well in the case that everyone knows, the obvious change would be the final scene, not happening.

There would be many different directions they could go and we would already have a connection to the story, something to cause about.

You seem to either think it's common to have deep likeable stories with depth ot maybe you know something thing about Illusion's abilities.
Though for me I see Mafia as the rarity not only generally but even by Illusion's pasted work.
They have H&D 1 & 2, Flying Heroes and Vietcong, so H&D is the next most successful, but at least to my knowledge it's not due to Depth of story, it's due to the good Stratigy Combat.

I am not saying some didn't enjoy the ending, just don't think most agree with it and how rare a company is that could make deep likeable characters and story, at will.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succesion of violent images.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

32. Re: No subject Aug 18, 2007, 06:14 Jerykk

I stopped playing because of the 30 FPS cap. Nothing more annoying than a game that looks like crap and has a consistently crappy framerate.

31. No subject Aug 18, 2007, 02:57 Acleacius

"Controls are tough though, the shooting, fighting is missing something.."

Yeah, I though it had alot of potiental too, but had to stop playing, hated the console controls, it was terrible trying to strafe.
Iirc there was either a some of view shift happening, when you strafed, your went left or something bazzare and worst you couldn't set your mouse controls, just sloppy porting.

30. No subject Aug 17, 2007, 22:04 xXBatmanXx

Wow - Godfather is more fun than I thought.

I like extorting the biz. Controls are tough though, the shooting, fighting is missing something....

Rev. Norb: I'd just like to say that four for a dollar Tijuana tacos seemed like a good idea at the time. Please pass the toilet paper.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

29. No subject Aug 17, 2007, 21:25 Shadowcat

Mafia was awesome. And although the race gets complained about a lot, I found that to be one of the most satisfying parts of the entire game! Frustrating at first, but only because I didn't know the car or the track. Learning both and winning that race in emphatic fashion was a superb feeling (especially if done entirely from the cockpit view -- that made it a sort of "Grand Prix Legends" for those of us who just can't handle that level of simulation :).

I read that they dumbed the race down in the patches with no way to select the original difficulty level. Lame.

28. No subject Aug 17, 2007, 20:08 xXBatmanXx

Actually, jjust remembered I have Godfather unopened - just installed, gonna try it out tonight....all this mafia talk, gotta play something. If is sucks, you will hear from me shortly digging for my Mafia discs.

Rev. Norb: I'd just like to say that four for a dollar Tijuana tacos seemed like a good idea at the time. Please pass the toilet paper.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

27. No subject Aug 17, 2007, 18:31 Xero

The first Mafia was an awesome game! The story gripping and really immersive. The whole game was great. The cars were due to the fact that, back then they had 1 gear so they would obviously be slow going up hill, although as you progress in the game and the years go by, better cars are available with more gears and thus, no problem going up hills. I thought that was really cool. Awesome game, can't wait to see part 2 hit.

Currently playing: Skyrim

26. No subject Aug 17, 2007, 18:15 BeefJerky

OH YEAH!

25. No subject Aug 17, 2007, 18:01 Bone43

Yes one of my all time favorite games!!!!

I had lost hope there would ever be "2" lets hope they dont fuck it up.

24. Re: AIIIIIEEEE Aug 17, 2007, 17:57 Vulkan

*Laughs* One of the most unintentionally funny parts of Mafia, and something I still laugh profusely at whenever I see it is being chased by the cops while going up a hill, with both your and the police cars slugging uphill at less than 5 miles per hour while pedestrians are zipping by on the sidewalks, this coupled with the fast paced big band soundtrack. It was like something straight out of Benny Hill.

23. No subject Aug 17, 2007, 16:51 Ray Ban

Two great moments from Mafia:

Driving through the city at night in the racing car, almost losing control at every corner.

Rolling a car off a cliff, not getting out in time.

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

22. Re: AIIIIIEEEE Aug 17, 2007, 16:27 Doma

FUCK YEAH!!

21. No subject Aug 17, 2007, 16:15 xXBatmanXx

heheh I kept my old save files from the PC version - awesome - I had my garage pimped out with the best vehicles from the game. Can't wait to load the first one up again.

/hardest mission: Bank Job. Ugh, had to trick the NPCs on that one. Time limit was tough on that one too.

The only thing I remember about this game is trying to drive a car uphill on a road... only to have it roll back down, backwards. What the hell.

hehhahahah I recall that now as well. Many times I just got out and ran up the damn hill and jumped in a different car. Was very frustrating in certain parts of town.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 16:20.

20. Re: AIIIIIEEEE Aug 17, 2007, 16:08 PHJF

The only thing I remember about this game is trying to drive a car uphill on a road... only to have it roll back down, backwards. What the hell.

------
"That don't look like no golden marmoset I ever seen!"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: AIIIIIEEEE Aug 17, 2007, 15:50 Ecthelion

also I can think of lots of better endings, but I haven't mentioned anything specific in case there is that one person that hasn't played it yet.
I don't think you have to worry about that, at least in the comments for Mafia 2. Who cares about the sequel if they hadn't played the first one? But if you don't want to share your ideas, that's okay.

Seems that most quality games that spend that much time and resourses on Depth, would want a sequel and it's quite evident (well, imo) that the quality of character development in Mafia was very rare.
I don't think Illusion was thinking about a sequel when they made Mafia (which explains the ending). But when they saw the success of the game, the idea of a sequel started rolling around.

One of the reasons the characters in Mafia were so well-developed is that it borrowed heavily from gangster movies. That's why I enjoyed the ending - it made the game more cinematic.

I don't think they'll have any trouble coming up with a story and characters for Mafia 2. It doesn't even have to take place in the same city.

18. Cars Aug 17, 2007, 15:18 Aero

Very excited about this as well. I'd like to see the next one take place in the late 50's or 60's though. The cars in Mafia were painfully slow at times. The physics modeling had a really nice feel, you could actually drive the cars with a proper wheel and pedal set and it felt relatively realistic.

That alone made it far more interesting than cruising around in GTA (which was still fun in it's own way, of course). I'd just like to see some meatier sixties cars.

Love,
Aero

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo