Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock Preorders Steaming Up

Steam now offers the opportunity to pre-purchase BioShock for digital download, which includes a pre-load of Irrational's eagerly anticipated first-person shooter so it can be played as soon as it officially debuts on August 21. Update: Valve responded to our question about what time the release would occur, saying it would be at 4:00 p.m. Eastern time, and that there is now a ticker on the front page of the Steam Website counting down to the release.

View
118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

118. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 23:28 Krovven

The last time my cable went out, I couldn't play any of my games in offline mode.

That's weird...

The other night, my internet went out for the first time in a very long while. I loaded up Steam and launched Dark Messiah since I hadn't got around to trying it since I bought it. Launched in offline mode without an issue.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing WoW - Burning Crusade

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

117. No subject Aug 20, 2007, 09:17 Optimaximal

The game uses Unreal 3.0... it's obvious it was going to need something pretty darn powerful.

116. Re: ... Aug 18, 2007, 22:01 Matt

I read about SM3 in the original post but ignored it, whoops

crazy to think that stalker supported DX8 and now this with Bioshock

115. ... Aug 18, 2007, 19:07 theyarecomingforyou

It said it wouldn't run because it needs PixelShader 3.0, which the X850XT doesn't support (even though it said the graphics card was powerful enough). I'll upgrade again is 6 months or so when DX10 games are common place but I was looking to upgrade anyway... I was hoping to at least hold out until September but Bioshock changed that.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

114. Re: ordered new 8800GTS Aug 18, 2007, 17:58 Kedyn

Why did you not wait and just see how Bioshock runs on the X800? I think you were just looking for an excuse to upgrade . . . immediately

I think Bioshock requires a card that supports Pixel Shader 3.0. I think the oldest ATI card that supports it is the X1300, which is why it's in Bioshock's system requirements.

113. ordered new 8800GTS Aug 18, 2007, 13:40 Matt

Why did you not wait and just see how Bioshock runs on the X800? I think you were just looking for an excuse to upgrade . . . immediately

112. ... Aug 18, 2007, 10:06 theyarecomingforyou

I ran the system test over on YouGamers and found that my system didn't meet the minimum specs because of my graphics card (X850XT)... I need PS3.0 and I only have PS2.0, even though my graphics card is powerful enough to run it. I gave in an ordered an 8800GTS, which should tide me over for 6 months or so until the new nVidia cards are out (or until ATi becomes competitive again). Damn, this game better be worth it!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

111. Re: Copy protection Aug 17, 2007, 22:54 >U

That said, we would strongly suggest end-users to consider the GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB instead of the GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB, as for about $75 - $100 premium you will be able to get performance that may be 100% higher.
I don't doubt that the 8800GTS is a better card than a 8600GTS. But, the lowest priced 8800GTS's (~$280) also cost a good $120 more than the lowest priced 8600GTS's (~$160) online. Even if it were truely 100% more performance, that's still 75% more money than the 8600GTS costs. Therefore the 8800GTS is NOT a mid-range card. The 8600GTS is the mid-range.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 04:48.

110. Re: Copy protection Aug 17, 2007, 22:24 Prez

I read the reviews, yours included. Honestly, to say it "does not preform" is a bit silly. That would mean I get nothing but a blank screen! An 8600GT costs about half what an 8800GT does. Of course it will be slower.

It performs well enough for me, and yes, I realize an 8800 of any stripe buries it in performance. For people like me who don't mind ratcheting down the graphics to "medium" and running only 2X AA and anisotropic filtering, it works fine.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

109. Re: Copy protection Aug 17, 2007, 22:18 Prez

Heh - this might be the one game that I would make an exception and play even if it had Starforce!

But thank goodness it doesn't at any rate...

108. Re: Copy protection Aug 17, 2007, 22:18 PHJF

8600 does not perform, it's plain and simple.

The GeForce 8600GTS just doesn't seem to be able to provide the raw grunt to allow it to compete with likes of the GeForce 7900GS or Radeon X1950PRO.

If anything it seems as if NVIDIA has been a little conservative. G84 has to make do with a 128-bit memory interface and still try to take the fight to cards equipped with a 256-bit bus.
Even with a 33-50% memory clock-speed advantage it still can't make up the bandwidth deficit, and from there on it's fighting an uphill battle. GDDR3 capable of 2GHz+ can't be cheap either and so limiting the memory controller seems like something of a false economy.
There now appears to be a large gap in the NVIDIA lineup with respect to number of Stream Processors; the 8600GTS making do with a third as many as the 8800GTS. While these have been tweaked for improved efficiency and run at a higher clock-speed compared to the G80-based parts, a lack of raw power counts against it.

We do not know the exact reasons for Nvidia to cut-down computing power and performance of the GeForce 8600 so significantly when compared to the high-end brethren, but it would be logical to assume that the company wanted to get a very cost-efficient graphics processing unit (GPU) which could serve performance-mainstream and mainstream markets for a while. In fact, we would assume that the GeForce 8600-series may have the same destiny as the GeForce FX 5600, which was a mediocre DirectX 9 choice in spring/summer 2003, but which was quickly replaced by more powerful GeForce FX 5700 in fall 2003. Considering current performance of the GeForce 8600 GTS and keeping in mind that its die size is already quite large, we would assume a more powerful performance-mainstream GPU based on the G80 architecture made using 65nm process technology coming in sometime in late Q3 or early Q4. That said, we would strongly suggest end-users to consider the GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB instead of the GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB, as for about $75 - $100 premium you will be able to get performance that may be 100% higher.

------
"That don't look like no golden marmoset I ever seen!"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

107. Copy protection Aug 17, 2007, 21:43 Creston

This doesn't have Starforce on it, does it?

{Thread Derail}

Creston

106. Re: newb? Aug 17, 2007, 21:41 Creston

I'm one of those that simply wasn't pleased by either game. This has nothing to do with the game's quality, it just wasn't what I liked.

Hey, to each his own. You might want to check out the demo of Bioshock first though. It seems rather similar.

In any case, you wanted to know why Bioshock was so highly anticipated, well, that's why

Creston

105. Re: Aug 17, 2007, 21:04 >U

That's pretty good for $150 bucks. I say mid-range
It is mid-range. The 8600GTS is squarely Nvidia's midrange card; there are three series 8 chipsets above it and three below it.

Framerate whores may want to call the 8800GTS a midrange card, but it's not according to Nvidia ( http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce8.html ). It's also not according to its selling price.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 21:05.

104. Re: Aug 17, 2007, 17:45 Prez

I have a 8600gt and I can tell you it runs considerably better than "total fucking shit". Admittedly, I have no idea how it will handle Bioshock, but it handles Oblivion, Supreme Commander, FEAR, HL2 Episode 1, Company of Heroes, Prey, and many other recent games just fine, and I run at 1650x1080 resolution.

That's pretty good for $150 bucks. I say mid-range.

103. Re: Aug 17, 2007, 16:22 PHJF

Well let's see, you could spend $200 on a SUPPOSEDLY mid-range 8600GTS and it will run like total fucking shit.

8800gts-320 is mid range because anything below it in nvidia's 8x00 lineup is so utterly worthess in game performance. In contrast, my 7600GT was more or less the top of the mid-range at $150 and performed pretty amazingly.

And look at ATI. The HD 2600XT is even WORSE off than the abysmal 8600GTS in game performance. Want the next card higher? (2600XT is about $150) Then drop $400 on the "cheap" 2900XT.

The 8800GTS, though the "88" in the name may signal otherwise, is a mid-range card, because nvidia put it there.

------
"That don't look like no golden marmoset I ever seen!"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

102. Re: Aug 17, 2007, 12:21 >U

$280 is round the middle of $500. It is mid ranged.
HA! That doesn't make it midranged because video card prices aren't evenly distributed. You have a few $500+ cards and then a whole bunch which are well below $300. No 8800-series card is mid-ranged. Those are all high-end cards with respect to what's available for sale let alone what the installed base of PC's actually has. Nvidia's midrange series 8 cards are the 8600GT and 8600GTS models with the 8400 and 8500 at the bottom and the 8800 series at the top.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 12:26.

101. What to do with the pre-order. Aug 17, 2007, 12:13 Lev Arris

It is internet activation either way, steam/d2d, or retail. so it boils down to:

1. Whatever copy protection the retail has, starforce? secuROM, safedisk? Anyone else had problems with games not recognizing DVD's every now and then. Eject, re-insert, work dammit! Pain in the ass.

2. No annoying copy protection , no dvd-insertion. (yes i know steam is drm, but i don't consider it annoying)

It's kinda a gimmie for us aussies methinks. Retail varies from $70-$80, on steam $50 converts to $63AUS.
Plus there is a good chance it will activate before the Aus street date as well.
At least forced steam to pre-load it from my ISP's content server, no quota use!

Forgot about having a 'hard copy', well once it's downloaded, steam backup works purty good. Plus makes it easy to share with friends that dont have a lot of bandwidth.

Manual? Do companies even make manual's for games anymore nowadays? Just rely on the in-game direction's. Ive seen a few of those 'this is how you use plasmids' video's.
This comment was edited on Aug 17, 12:25.

100. Re: Aug 17, 2007, 10:48 Rseman

Don't feel bad about eating paintchips Enahs..... look at all these toy recalls going on, it's more popular than we thought;P

99. Re: Aug 17, 2007, 10:27 Enahs

That's not mid-range. That's high-end especially when you consider the installed base not just what's currently for sale now. Sure, it's not the highest end card but it's still high-end.

No sorry.
$280 is round the middle of $500. It is mid ranged.

It is still a damn nice video card, and its performance is great, but it is midrange.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo