Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Interplay's MMO Fallout Hopes

Interplay Ready for Fallout Online on Next Generation reports on Interplay's latest financial results, showing $5.46 million net income for the quarter ended June 30 on $5.8 million in revenues. That seemingly good news must be tempered by word that this includes $5.75 million from Bethesda for the purchase of rights to the Fallout franchise earlier this year (story). As was reported at the time of the Fallout sale, the deal included a provision for Interplay to go forward with their planned Fallout MMOG as long as development commences within two years of the sale, the game launches within six years, and the project will have no less than $30 million in funding. In spite of the improved results this quarter, Interplay is still over $2 million in debt (though this debt was as high as $59 million as recently as December 2001), but Interplay CEO Herve Caen is still optimistic they will go forward with the Fallout MMOG, saying:

With that difficult period behind us, we are focused on securing funding for development of a Massively Multiplayer Online Game (MMOG) based on the popular Fallout franchise. Along with our strategy of leveraging our existing portfolio of intellectual gaming properties, Fallout Online will play a key role in the future of Interplay.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. No subject Aug 15, 2007, 22:28 space captain

wow thats so new and witty

Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2007, 21:34 Kedyn

Good, a game for all of the "hardcore" Fallout fans to not bitch about...

/sarcasm

19. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2007, 21:23 Jerykk

"We" isn't third-person.

18. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2007, 19:15 Buckermann

With that difficult period behind us, we are focused ...
Herve already speaks about himself in the third person. Not a good sign, not good at all.

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 19:16.

17. No subject Aug 15, 2007, 18:51 space captain

yawns
This comment was edited on Aug 15, 18:52.

Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2007, 18:44 Asmodai

The debate over Herve's ability to deliver is academic. I wait with bated breath to see what Bethesda is going to churn out (rather disappointed with the product overview), but if this revenant ever sees the light of day, I doubt that it will be even a grim shadow of the original...

Grind 300 radscorpions. Here's a bottlecap.

Yeah right.

15. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2007, 18:32 Kxmode

The term CEO does not seem very appropriate anymore when you're the only employee left.

When you're the only employee left you can give yourself any title you want. Just ask El Presidente for life.

-----
Ah ha! I caught you red handed Green cheating on Blue!
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
"Salmon Dance remix" posted (Chemical Brothers)
This comment was edited on Aug 15, 18:37.

14. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2007, 16:34 CJ_Parker

1) Notice I said "ALL stock"
There are some who still have some.

Yes. Probably three or four retirees with a total investment of about $10K who don't care about their loss anymore and have long forgotten that they ever even owned IPLY stocks. Totally irrelevant. Look at the traded volumes. Just do it. IPLY has no investors and does not need to be afraid of pissing off people who are still holding stocks. There is effectively no one to piss off.

3) Obviously I'm talking about doing all that with the total of nearly $6 million, not the measly total of $0.05 million they took in besides the sale of fallout IP. Why wouldn't they use the money from the sale?

Dude. Seriously. Did you even read the Next Gen stuff? Because IPLY still has outstanding debts. That's why. They (or he rather) can't just ignore their (his) debts and start working on new shit. Think, dude. Please. Think.

----------------------------
*** Born to troll ***

13. No subject Aug 15, 2007, 16:21 Dev

CJ_Parker:
1) Notice I said "ALL stock"
There are some who still have some. And interplay doesn't want them all to run either. I never claimed "profesional investors" still invested in them. They also want to paint a good picture for any potential morons who are investing in their MMORPG.

2) Yeah I suck at math. I originally wrote .05 million but then changed it. Comes of staying up late playing games and not getting enough sleep the next day

3) Obviously I'm talking about doing all that with the total of nearly $6 million, not the measly total of $0.05 million they took in besides the sale of fallout IP. Why wouldn't they use the money from the sale?

I don't have any of thier stock and I never have, and I doubt they will ever make the MMORPG. And if they did, it would likely suck. As well, it doesn't look like they are smart enough to do anything useful with the cash anyway. As I said earlier, they are all but extinct.

12. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2007, 16:13 CJ_Parker

They are all but extinct. They are just saying that so that ppl won't sell off all thier stock. Bethesda was wise to give those kinda strict guidelines, its next to impossible that they will get 30 million in function.

Bullshit. Professional investors have long since bailed out of IPLY and are only using the IPLY stock for fucking around (if at all) when they are in a gambling mood. Check the stock price and the traded volumes. Get a clue.

Look at thier revenue! After the $5.75 million from bethesda, they only took in 0.5$ million!

As this other dude pointed out you suck at math.

If they had any brains at all, they woulda took that cash and restructured the company, and worked on putting out some games they could sell.

If you would have any brains at all then you'd realize that even $0.5 million (which we just established is the wrong number anyway) is getting you nowhere. What ya gonna do with $0.5 million? Please elaborate. I'm really excited to hear about your kickass business plan.

----------------------------
*** Born to troll ***

11. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2007, 15:37 Parallax Abstraction

Well, they used it to pay down the majority of their remaining debt which is why they kept so little of it. The thing is, now they're almost debt free which means Herve can keep the place coasting along as long as he wants, especially with the licensing revenue he has trickling in from places like GameTap.

I remember reading recently too that he did end up paying back most (though not all) of the backpay owed to employees. Apparently, Bethesda made that one of the terms of their agreement to buy the Fallout rights for some reason. He's still scum though because he only did it in order to secure more capital for himself.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Help Fix The Broken Xbox Live Marketplace: http://brokenxblm.blogspot.com

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

10. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2007, 14:51 MMORPGHoD

Heh, that's 0.05 million, excluding the Fallout rights sale. 50,000 dollars in revenue! LOL.

9. No subject Aug 15, 2007, 14:41 Dev

They are all but extinct. They are just saying that so that ppl won't sell off all thier stock. Bethesda was wise to give those kinda strict guidelines, its next to impossible that they will get 30 million in function.

Look at thier revenue! After the $5.75 million from bethesda, they only took in 0.5$ million!

If they had any brains at all, they woulda took that cash and restructured the company, and worked on putting out some games they could sell.

8. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2007, 14:15 Cutter

Who would give that man 30 million? Fools and their money...

"Well that sounds like fun times, Peter. Tell me...where does James Woods fit into the "fun times"."
- James Woods, Family Guy

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2007, 12:31 space captain

Told you Interplay wasn't dead...

ive got some great beachfront property in kansas for ya, you'll love it

Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2007, 12:21 MMORPGHoD

The term CEO does not seem very appropriate anymore when you're the only employee left.

5. No subject Aug 15, 2007, 12:19 Acleacius

True herve and interplay are only Fallout in name, they can't make a real quality Fallout without very skilled people, not sure anyone would trust him enough to work for him, especially if he still hasn't pay the former employees their back pay, yet.

We Fallout fans are most likly screwed either way, as bethseda has proven their willingness to push low quality PC works out the door, as with oblivion which include the menu, 6(?)voice actors for 1000 NPCs, massive popup, low quality textures, massive false hype like the AI and many others.

To bad really could have been a much better game with higher quality production and designers.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succesion of violent images.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

4. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2007, 12:12 Parallax Abstraction

Oh Herve. Your ineptitude is so humorous and depressing at the same time. His incompetent leadership killed Interplay and Titus in the first place and even if he somehow managed to save this company, unless he puts someone who knows what they're doing in charge, they'll be right back here in short order.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Help Fix The Broken Xbox Live Marketplace: http://brokenxblm.blogspot.com

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2007, 11:51 PJ

If they... Herve somehow recovers it will only be due to the continued raping of the Fallout franchise.

2. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2007, 11:46 Krovven

They are all but buried, which isn't too far off. If they can somehow recover I'd be amazed.

http://www.interplay.com/

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing WoW - Burning Crusade

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo