Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Heavy Duty Changes

The Heavy Duty Q&A on StrategyCore.co.uk offers a nostalgic look back at E3, where they spoke with Peter Winichenko about Primal Software's upcoming action strategy mech game. Topics include the switch in focus to strategy, the game engine, environments, RPG elements, plans for a demo, and more. This genre switch is still apparently sinking in, as the Heavy Duty Website still calls this an action game, but the release date for the project has been updated somewhere along the way, our last notice of this was when the game was delayed from Q4 2005 to Q4 2006 (story), but the release date now reads Q4 2007. Here are a couple of pertinent questions and answers about strategy behind moving away from action:

SC: Did Heavy Duty start out as an action game?
At some point it started out as an action game, but that was many years ago. But even at that time we already thought that it would be much better to make it as a strategy game. The first idea was to make a really advanced engine with one big planet and try to make a global strategy game with some action elements, with strategic control, combots, mechs, air simulator. The thing is that the developers are fans of the X-COM series, so they decided to move in that direction.

SC: Why was it changed to a strategy game?
As this game is developed for PC, it seems that the audience is mostly interested in strategy games and role playing games. As it is a game for PC only, that is why it was changed to a strategy game. There is a big audience for PC strategy games right now. But we didn’t forget about people who like action games, so we’ve got those elements as well.

View
12. No subject Aug 14, 2007, 16:40 Shadowcat

Well I was always going to want to read reviews of this, but I was looking forward to its original incarnation. Admittedly that was partly due to the absolute kick-arse technology they'd developed for it (animation in particular), which will hopefully still all be there. Here's hoping they just make it better.

Previous Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Aug 14, 10:43 Well I read it as Heavy Gear... AhrimaaN
  2. Aug 14, 10:59  Re: Well I read it as Heavy Gear... eunichron
  3. Aug 14, 11:20   Re: Well I read it as Heavy Gear... The Half Elf
  4. Aug 14, 11:23    Re: Well I read it as Heavy Gear... m00t
  5. Aug 14, 11:25     Re: Well I read it as Heavy Gear... Wildone
  6. Aug 14, 11:39      Re: Well I read it as Heavy Gear... Orogogus
  7. Aug 14, 12:11    Re: Well I read it as Heavy Gear... 4D-Boxing
  8. Aug 14, 12:24     Re: Well I read it as Heavy Gear... Orogogus
  16. Aug 14, 18:46   Re: Well I read it as Heavy Gear... Charlie_Six
  13. Aug 14, 16:48  Tittyfuck Movie? CJ_Parker