Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Stranglehold to Require Dual-Core CPUs?

The Midway Forums have what are being called the minimum system requirements for Stranglehold, the upcoming game follow-up to John Woo's Hard Boiled (thanks BeyondUnreal). The specs have raised some questions, inspiring a follow-up confirming these are the minimum, rather than the recommended specs for the game. We still suspect, however, that there will be a more news on this topic, as there are several questions the confusing specs inspire, which include high, but plausible RAM requirements, oddly mismatched video cards, and the most unusual requirement of a dual-core processor. Here are the specifications as listed:

Windows XP SP2 / VISTA (Games for Windows compliant)
Dual Core Processor
2 Gigs of Ram
Nvidia 7800 or higher / ATI x1300 or higher
Disk space: 15 gigs

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. No subject Aug 13, 2007, 17:41 cronik

Forget Dual-Core, I'm going Quad-Core baby.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: True that Aug 11, 2007, 12:03 manic half

POS? have you played the game?

i have the demo on my 360 and i cant stop playing it. its an action masterpiece. cant wait for it to be released.

35. True that Aug 8, 2007, 21:03 PJ

It's not an FPS. ===> yeh its a POS

It's a third person POS. Of course one man's POS is another man's Best Game Evar.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 21:04.

34. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2007, 20:00 Creston

"It's about time devs set optimistic requirements in order to ensure their game meets it's full potential. Also about time devs start taking advantage of multiple cores CPUs. "

I guess it's also time Devs stop actually SELLING games? A fairly small minority currently runs a Dual Core processor, as there really is no point to it yet.

I agree that more games need to take advantage of it, but until they do, what's the point in getting one?

Creston

33. In other words : Aug 8, 2007, 19:58 Creston

"Look, we really really really suck at optimizing our code. So we're just going to require you to have 2 Gigs of Ram and a dual core processor to prevent our game from running like a two legged mule."

Also, 15 gigs? Fifteen? What, will this game have seven hundred levels?

Creston

32. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2007, 18:57 windjammer

I got my s939 fairly early in its lifespan, then upgraded from a feeble A64 to my opty 148. Running at 3GHz, it outperformed everything at the time, including most dual cores (they are harder to overclock because you have 2 cores to worry about being stable). Conroe was just being announced, and I am still more than happy with my CPU's performance. So I don't know wtf everyone is talking about s939 sucking, the new cpus for AM2 don't even overclock much better.

So, what I'm saying is, if you have s939, and have a slow CPU (single core 2.6GHz or below) or an A64 that doesn't overclock well, get a dual core s939 opteron and get it up to 2.9+ and you have a decent CPU without upgrading your motherboard / memory. (Most opteron's overclock really well because they are stress tested for servers). Good luck!

31. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2007, 18:39 JeffD

saddly sounds like a disapointing trend, dirt requires SSE3 (I think that was it) wich nixed my xp2800 barton core, even though I have a 7800GS OC.

Oh well, when unreal or crisis is released.. I am going to build a mother of a system for it, one that wont need to be upgraded for many years accept for maybe a new vid card down the line.

30. No subject Aug 8, 2007, 18:08 Bone43

No problem x6800 bring it on baby!!!

29. ... Aug 8, 2007, 17:19 theyarecomingforyou

I guess I'm bitter about getting into 939 at the end of its life.
I knew someone that bought into 754 when 939 was just about to be released and then about a year ago they upgraded to 939, which died shortly after to be replaced by AM2. Unfortunately you really have to keep your eye on the ball with PC hardware. Even so 939 was poorly handled and the speed at which AMD cut back on 939 was ridiculous. With Core 2 Duo out there was no incentive to stay with AMD, as to upgrade from 939 required a new motherboard, memory and processor.

I bought into 939 when it very first came out and when PCIe was just coming into the market - it lasted me well. Now I've upgraded to Intel's new P35 chipset and a new 1333MHz FSB processor and I have a motherboard that supports DDR3 for upgrading in the future - I am again pretty future proof (as far as is reasonable). Even so there is PCIe 2.0 around the corner and graphics cards could be released as soon as late this year / early next year. There's always a risk with upgrading. I'm holding off on DX10 graphics cards until later this year when I find out how well Crysis / Bioshock run and when it becomes clear what new graphics cards / price cuts are around. I'm wanting to upgrade now but it's a bit risky and I haven't got anything that really needs a better graphics card at the moment.

Basically you have to do a lot of research or else you only have yourself to blame. You should have either upgraded straight away or left it... there was information about regarding AM2 and support for DDR2. At the same time AMD obviously deserves some of the blame for shafting 939 customers and trying to put everything behind AM2 prematurely... if they'd have just kept 939 on alongside everyone would have been a lot happier. People buying from scratch could go AM2 whilst 939 could continue on happily. Either way it doesn't help you. You lost out and I'd be annoyed if I was you as well.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

28. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2007, 17:11 HardCore

If those are the requirements, this game should look BEYOND amazing. But it doesn't. It looks like crap. If it really requires those kind of specs just to play, that tells me the engineers and software coders are all newbies and don't know WTF they are doing.

Either that or they had problems with epic's UE3 engine. Which could become horrible for Epic if this turns from success of lots of licensees into a class action, or atleast a growing list of licensee issues.

Bioshock will show alot on how well it does with UE3. Hopefully it isn't a UE3 difficulty being experienced, that would be bad for everyone, especially Epic.

27. Yeah Aug 8, 2007, 16:16 Wilson

I guess I'm bitter about getting into 939 at the end of its life. Then again, back when I bought it I didn't really know that AM2 was coming. I don't really have time to keep up with all the current _and_ upcoming stuff anyhow. It's getting difficult just to put together a machine with decent performance--sure you could just waltz out and buy the highest rated performance shit out there, and you'd get screwed on something somewhere it's certain. Especially if you don't much care about overclocking, water-cooling, and all that--I don't think it's asking much at all to want _modest_ performance out of stock components for a year or so after the purchase.

At the moment I'm trying to see if my A8N-E will take an Opteron. I don't see why it wouldn't, and the high-end Opterons are pretty much the end-of-upgrade-life for my A8N-E. I suppose I could just upgrade to an AM2 motherboard, but I hate to just give in so easily. That, and getting this system put together was a pain in the first place. I don't think this is a game I'll much mind getting out of.

26. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2007, 15:58 Fion

If those are the requirements, this game should look BEYOND amazing. But it doesn't. It looks like crap. If it really requires those kind of specs just to play, that tells me the engineers and software coders are all newbies and don't know WTF they are doing.

25. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2007, 15:46 HardCore

I wouldn't mind a game really having those minimum specs, if it made full use of them.
From the sound of peoples experience with the AI in the demo, I guess Midway forgot that they can devote more CPU time to AI, requiring multi-core and all.

Real proper minimum specs like this are at least a year away in properly done games.

24. No subject Aug 8, 2007, 15:21 space captain

yeh its a POS

Go forth, and kill!

23. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2007, 15:18 Jerykk

I saw the videos and was not that impressed with the graphics... just looked like a normal FPS with over the top scripting... I mean action.

It's not an FPS.

22. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2007, 15:18 kanniballl

True enough. However, I view PC gaming hardware like I view building my rods. Speed costs money and it will continue to cost money. If you don't want to spend the money, don't play the game.

I don't mind the money, heck I just bought a decked out 15" Macbook Pro after they refreshed w/ LED screens and Santa Rosa chipset. So, money ain't the issue for me.

In my case it's the friggin time involved, and not just the time, but the "aggravating time." Sure, it's a Saturday's afternoon of work for both hardware and software installation, I could care less because I'd reserve the day, unplug my phones, and get it done. It was always either the last mile of the setup or the eventual support I'd have to give myself.

Twice in the last couple years I had spectacular hardware deaths that made it difficult to track the original source. In both cases I think it was a power spike. After pulling out my hair for a few weeks the second time I just gave up.

So, I say screw it. Now my PC is an Apple Laptop and my gaming is done on Consoles. I just keep a Windows partition on the laptop for the occasional game of HL2 EpX, GalCiv2, or Space Taxi 2. The laptop serves mainly as my work machine, and if it tanks I'll take it to the Genius Bar.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 15:22.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

21. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2007, 15:14 PHJF

To be fair they are touting this game on heavy physics use.
Better to require dual core than PhysX card, if you ask me.

Anyways an e2140, highly overclockable, is like less than $80. P4's are obsolete (thankfully). Opty's are really the only legitimate single-core CPU a pc "gamer" should have, and I personally don't know many people with them.

------
"That don't look like no golden marmoset I ever seen!"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

20. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2007, 15:03 Burrito of Peace

I learned towards the end that it's a sucker's bet to think your motherboard will be upgradeable for more than 2 years. After that, either the chipsets for your socket are too fast for the motherboard, or Company X has moved onto a different socket.

True enough. However, I view PC gaming hardware like I view building my rods. Speed costs money and it will continue to cost money. If you don't want to spend the money, don't play the game.

I understand why a lot of people go to consoles and I do not begrudge them wanting to spend their dollars elsewhere instead of on hardware upgrades. Personally, I plan on a one year upgrade cycle.

19. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2007, 15:01 PJ

I saw the videos and was not that impressed with the graphics... just looked like a normal FPS with over the top scripting... I mean action.

Making use of a dual or quad core is the best thing but making it a requirement is a joke at this point in time. Hell, there are only a few games releasing soon that actually make use of them.

Either way if they can get it to run on a PS3 they should be able to make it run on the average PC. PS3 has the CPU power but lacks the GPU power of most PCs out. Even Carmack mentioned that while developing Rage the PS3 is the limiting factor when it comes to pushing the graphics.

18. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2007, 14:59 kanniballl

Because he bought an AMD product. That'd hose you like a hooker on pay day.

Well, from what I hear they've pretty much scaled back any development for that platform. It came out mid 2004 as a replacement for Socket 754, but from what I recall its adoption didn't take off right away because of costs. So it's been out for 3 years-or-so.

Unfortunately, those that upgraded to 939 are S.O.L. since most chips coming out are for AM2. The demand is there, they just aren't getting the love they want.

Even though I recently got out of the whole "build your own rig" game, I learned towards the end that it's a sucker's bet to think your motherboard will be upgradeable for more than 2 years. After that, either the chipsets for your socket are too fast for the motherboard, or Company X has moved onto a different socket.

-Fry, Futurmama

-Fry, Futurama

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo