Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Adobe Reader Jul 23, 2007, 18:50 jimnms

Looks like if you dick around on the FTP site you can fine it here:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/8.x/8.1/enu/

Would it be so fucking hard for them to just give you a link to it? I took me a few minutes to find it, because they have directories for "acrobatreader" and "acrobatviewer." Luckily I scrolled down far enough to see the "reader" directory.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Adobe Reader Jul 23, 2007, 18:30 jimnms

Speaking of the Adobe Acrobat Reader, how the fuck do you just download it? It wants to install a download manager into your browser, which I finally gave in and let it do, but when it finished it wanted me to install it right then and there. It told me I had to close my browser, email and Yahoo messenger before continuing. I wasn't ready to install yet, and it left an icon on the desktop to continue. So I canceled the install, but when I did that, it deleted the desktop shortcut and didn't leave me any way to install without re-downloading it again.

I have 3 other computers that will need to be updated, and it would make it so much easier if I could just download the damn thing and copy it to the other computers.

The last few versions gave you the option to save the install file after the download manager had finished downloading, why did they remove that?

Steam Profile

2. Re: New processors Jul 23, 2007, 17:41 Bet

Hahahah, you just burned the hell out of that article.

1. New processors Jul 23, 2007, 14:30 Smoove

Wth kind of poorly written story is this? Some highlights:

Chip makers are no longer racing to have the fastest microprocessor and have shifted their focus away from building chips with a single, super-fast calculating core. Instead, to save energy and reduce heat, they're putting multiple cores on the same chip the equivalent of several computers on the same slice of silicon.

Really? I wonder which chipmakers aren't racing to have the fastest chip, because Intel and AMD sure are. And as for saving energy and reducing heat, how exactly do two (or more) cores generate less heat or use less energy than one? While the C2Duo uses less energy than, say a P4, that's because of improved manufacturing and a new chip design, not because there are two cores instead of one.

"You can imagine a scenario where people stop buying laptops and PCs because we can't figure this out," said David Patterson, a computer-architecture expert and computer science professor at the University of California, Berkeley.

Yeah, I'm sure the general population is just going to stop buying PCs because MS Word doesn't take full advantage of their multicore processor. I can just hear my mom saying "you know, I was sending an email the other day, and I noticed that only one of my cores was being fully utilized by Outlook. I'm not going to buy another PC until more software uses both cores."

As processors sped up, software developers tagged along by making their programs faster and faster.

Strangely, I was under the impression that faster processors ran software faster than slower processors. Apparently, it's actually the programmers that go back and tell the software to run faster.

"We'd be in uncharted territory," Patterson said. "We need to get some Manhattan Projects going here somebody could solve this problem, and whoever solves this problem could have this gigantic advantage on everybody else."

Good analogy; I can clearly see the link between a WWII project to develop the nuclear bomb to end the war, and the need to develop software that can take advantage of eight or more cores. Just imagine if the terrorists developed this technology before us!!!!!!

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo