Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioWare's MMO License

Perpetual announces BioWare has licensed online technology from them for BioWare's upcoming MMORPG. It's not clear how this relates to their previous announcement that BioWare was using StreamBase tech for the game (story). Word is:

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - July 19, 2007 - Perpetual Entertainment announced today that BioWare's Austin studio has licensed Perpetual's online technology platform for an upcoming Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) title. The agreement gives BioWare the platform to deploy and support its online titles utilizing Perpetual's industry-leading technology for online game operations, deployment, infrastructure development and community support.

"We evaluated numerous technology solutions to serve as the service backbone of our first MMO title and feel Perpetual's online platform is the best fit," said Gordon Walton, Co-Studio Director of BioWare Austin. "The Perpetual team has years of experience building infrastructure and tools for online games and we are thrilled to be working with them."

"BioWare is one of the leading developers of AAA games in the world and we know they will find the Perpetual platform provides both the functionality and ease-of-use they are looking for to support their upcoming title," said Joseph Keene, Co-Chairman and CEO, Perpetual Entertainment, Inc. "With the Perpetual platform, BioWare's Austin studio can focus on making great games while minimizing the time and effort required to deploy and support their titles."

The Perpetual online platform provides a technology backbone of modules necessary to deploy and operate any modern online game, as well as a collection of in-game features and services. Incorporating tools for player management, billing, customer relationship management, game feature extension, load-balancing, lobby servicing, patching and community management, the Perpetual online platform gives developers and publishers the tools to bring the next generation of online games to market faster, and with lower technological and logistical restrictions.

For more information please visit: http://www.perpetual.com/platform/

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: You know what? Jul 19, 2007, 23:22 Scottish Martial Arts

Do you guys just really never enjoy anything anymore?

PC Games? Not really. Especially over the past year, I've found myself playing fewer and fewer PC games, and enjoying them even less.

'98 was when I got hooked on PC gaming. The list of downright outstanding games that continue to be on "Best of" lists, that came out that year is huge. Note that these arn't just major releases, but games that are considered truly classic:

Half-Life
Unreal
Rainbow Six
Total Annihilation
Starcraft
Fallout 2
Baldur's Gate
Thief: The Dark Project
Grim Fandango
Descent: Freespace

And those are just the one's off the top of my head. The magic that existed in those games, the magic that got me hooked on PC games to begin with, has become very, very rare these days.

I suppose the big issue is that few games provide new experiences these days; they are just iterations of stuff that I've played dozens of times before. Without the magic of a completely new experience, games stand or fall based upon on how well they improve over their predecessors. While there is still some small degree of innovation in games today, they tend to be, for a lack of a better term, pretty soulless. I can appreciate the innovations that CoH made, for example, but that still doesn't change the fact that I never got the excited about it. I dutifully played through the singleplayer campaign, played a few rounds of multiplayer, then set it aside without looking back. While the game's design was perfectly competent, there was nothing there that really sunk its teeth in me. This is the case with virtually all current games, and I suppose its the primary reason why I'm gaming less and less.

Through the end of the year I only plan on getting Quake Wars, Bioshock and Episode 2. After that there is literally nothing on my radar that I feel the need to play. We'll see what else is on the horizon, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is my last year of gaming. These days my academic pursuits are taking up a lot more of my time and are infinitely more fulfilling. Perhaps gaming will eventually progress to the point where games will have the same depth of humanity as the Iliad or the exquisite beauty of the verses of Milton, but somehow I doubt it. Unless some major sea change occurs in gaming I suspect my time with the hobby is very limited.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. You know what? Jul 19, 2007, 22:48 Creston

All this whining about "the golden age of gaming" is getting really fucking stale. Do you guys just really never enjoy anything anymore? You sound like a bunch of eighty year old men bitching about "Back when..."

In RTS'es we've had Company of Heroes, Dawn of War/Warhammer 40K, Supreme Commander. In FPS'es we've had FEAR, Half Life 2, Far Cry. In RPG's we've had Oblivion (admittedly not everyone's cup of tea), Vampire : Bloodlines (bugged, but a wonderful community effort has made it a fantastic RPG), and Gothic 2. (or 3, for those who didn't suffer from many bugs.)

We've had the GTA3 series. We've had Ninja Gaiden. We've had God of Fucking War. We've had X2/X3.

All of these in the last few years. I think nothing I mentioned is older than 3 or 4 years.

I can go on, but I'm getting bored looking through my old stuff.

These are all fucking fantastic games. And there isn't anything in my memory that just obliterates every single one of them. Or even a handful of them.

What are these mystical games that you all remember so fondly that were so much better than anything that exists nowadays? Because apparently I forgot to play them or something.

Sure, there have been fantastic games in the past. Ultima. System Shock. Doom. Fallout. Some of them still reign in their respective genres. But if they haven't been beaten, they have at least been approached pretty closely.

This doom and gloom that every game released ten years ago was better than what we have now is just bullshit.

Creston

30. Re: Dumped Simutronics? Jul 19, 2007, 20:30 wtf_man

SoylentBob - this isn't a game engine. StreamBase handles the billing, accounting, support etc. aspect of their title while Simutronics HeroEngine handles the actual game technology and server processing. Two separate things entirely.

Ah... that explains it. Thanks.

29. Re: Dumped Simutronics? Jul 19, 2007, 20:13 The Half Elf

Well my 'dream' MMO would be Xwing Alliance's 3rd party smuggler story, with Privateer/Freelancers open-ness, with Jedi Knight/Academy's 3rd person saber combat. Kinda like what Perpetual is doing with STO.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

28. Re: Dumped Simutronics? Jul 19, 2007, 20:06 CreamyBlood

My point is that games have become more shallow.

Arguing about pirating by people that justify it to themselves wasn't what I was getting at, and I think you realize that.

I don't agree with a lot of Jericks thoughts, but I don't dismiss all of his ideas out of hand either.

27. Re: Dumped Simutronics? Jul 19, 2007, 19:10 nin

Basically I feel like what Jerrik has reiterated a million times in the past.

The part where he's a warez monkey, and no game is good enough for him?

-----------------------------------------------------
http://www.neonbible.com
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/11808/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

26. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2007, 19:03 Howin

It will be that Sonic RPG they talked about a while back.

' Now go collect me 100 rings then return '

25. No subject Jul 19, 2007, 17:18 VoodooV

what KOTOR needs is simply to amp up the difficulty. Greatest game ever, but way too flippin easy.

I know this would turn off the lowest common denominator but I want to see some developer simulate real fencing to some degree when it comes to sword fighting games like KOTOR.

I'm tired of just mashing down the master feat buttons and blowing everyone away with my glow stick. I want some added challenge.

I know nothing about real fencing so ill admit I don't know how it should be done, but I wish they could implement a way where if you're a beginning character, you possibly know some basic attacks and blocks and whatever, but as you level up, or learn from masters, you learn better techniques. and I'm not talking about what was done in KOTOR2, where it simply gives you a modifier to your rolls or whatever. I want it to mix in a LITTLE action where you have to actually execute the maneuvers and depending on what blocks/attacks you use and how good you are at them, and how good your opponent is in the same thing will determine your success or how much damage you take/receive.

I dunno. Just wish there was a bit more depth to games involving RPG melee combat. that and KOTOR was just way too easy.

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 17:19.

24. Re: Dumped Simutronics? Jul 19, 2007, 17:04 CreamyBlood

I'd just like to say, that Baldurs Gate 2 is one of my all-time favorite games. It had a linear story and hard core tactics. In fact, the more you got into the more complex it became. To me, that was awesome, to others it probably bogged them down. Hence, the simplified KOTOR.

Although a great story with with a very deep engine, they 'nerfed' it to make gampley more 'accessible'.

23. Re: Dumped Simutronics? Jul 19, 2007, 16:50 Scottish Martial Arts

If you think BG2, NWN and NWN2 were linear then you must hate the variety of non-linear games out there.

BG2 was very, very linear in chapters 1,4,5 and 7 and all of the ToB expansion. In Chapters 2,3 and 6 you could pretty much do what you want when you want, but once you got started on the main plot then you definitely got railroaded. NWN was no less linear than the KOTOR games. Within each chapter, you'd have either 3 or 4 areas you could visit. You could pick which area to visit in which order, but the areas themselves were completely linear. NWN2, which wasn't developed by Bioware, was very, very linear. There were a handful of optional quests/areas but to get through the game you definitely went through a sequence of unchanging events and areas. In summary, BG1 is the only non-linear game that Bioware has made.

22. Re: Dumped Simutronics? Jul 19, 2007, 16:44 CreamyBlood

Basically I feel like what Jerrik has reiterated a million times in the past. That the year is 2007 and we're getting 'pretty' games with no substance. Shallow shit.

I understand that we look on the 'golden years' with reverance and longing but to me I think that many games have sacrificed gameplay for dazzle. Not that that's a bad thing as I love technology and what not but games are getting more and more boring.

It's not particularly hard to define the reason for this. In 'the old days' gamers created the games, it was a passion, now it's a business. We all know this, look at this site, hard core PC gamers buy the Wii, people think that Gears of War is awesome. It doesn't matter. In fact we should rejoice in a way, that our hobby is getting the money and attention it deserves.

But it's like hollywood, it's been exploited to the lowest common demonitar. It's a money game and that's the way of the world. I was hoping for better but I get mediocrety.

And some games are good, like I said, KOTR isn't bad, it was fun and had a good story. In fact it had a huge game engine behind it but in the end it fell on itself. Basically it was very complex but it presented itself with a strong engine that was under utilised.

For the most part, that worked, I was able to enjoy the story line but eventually I felt that 'I couldn't lose'. Is that bad?

Perhaps not for most people and even me, I advanced the story without having to bother with the minutea of game mechanics. I lost interest. I suspect most people didn't and that the game was intentionally designed that way.

Can we blame Bioware? No, not really. They are gamers and actually built the engine, but they need to make money. There is a hard core gaming engine masked under simplicity of it. Look at NWN, then look at KOTR.

Same shit, different pile. NWN was flawed by a stupid yet simple story, underneath was a great engine. They took it to a new level with Knights of the Old Republic, focused on story but made the default brain dead easy.

Honeslty, I'm sure there's a setting in there somewhere that would have made the game more challenging. Did I find it? No, did I enjoy the game? Yes, although I haven't finished it.

I suppose I'm a client in a niche market, hard to please and not worth the bother. So forgive me if I expect to see a rather watered down MPOG from them. It will surely please the masses, I'm just not one of them.

21. Re: Dumped Simutronics? Jul 19, 2007, 16:11 The Half Elf

Masa it's not about doing a fantasy and then a sci-fi game. I meant that they do well with the license, history etc of both universes. Example: I don't think you'd have the issues SWG is having with a Bioware made MMO.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

20. Re: Dumped Simutronics? Jul 19, 2007, 16:10 CreamyBlood

Just the mention of 'MMOG' or whatever you want to call it makes me think of work

I'm not into grind. It was fun as a teenager way back when. It's like the difference between Enemy Territory and BF2, one is fun, the other is a stats grind.

I'm looking forward to Age of Conan as I love the universe, but games these days seem more and more like a chore instead of the escapism that I expect from them.

Perhaps I'm just getting old, but except for the NWN engine and the user made mods for it I didn't like any of their official content. Translate online+NWN= into boredom.

(Shrug)

19. Re: Dumped Simutronics? Jul 19, 2007, 15:06 Krovven

Masa, as already pointed out, DDO is not Forgotten Realms. And no, it is not very good.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing WoW - Burning Crusade

18. Re: Dumped Simutronics? Jul 19, 2007, 15:05 Krovven

PHJF do you not understand what makes a game non-linear? All games are going to have boundaries of some sort. If you think BG2, NWN and NWN2 were linear then you must hate the variety of non-linear games out there.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing WoW - Burning Crusade

17. Re: Dumped Simutronics? Jul 19, 2007, 14:52 Cutter

There's already D&D Online, dude. Admittedly, it's probably not very good (don't know, not into MMOs).

Yeah, but it's not the Forgotten Realms. It was WOTCs sad attempt to push their new IP which most people don't care about compared to the Forgotten Realms. Not to mention Turbine really dropped the ball on the game. A fully fleshed out FR MOG would be a sight to behold.

"Well that sounds like fun times, Peter. Tell me...where does James Woods fit into the "fun times"."
- James Woods, Family Guy

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

16. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2007, 14:50 Cutter

Yeah, I have to say I'm surprised as hell that there hasn't been a major Forgotten Realms MOG as of yet, seeing as it's TSRs, er, WOTCs most popular seller. I'd still dearly love to explore a fully realized Faerun. Hell, even part of it with ongoing development. Imagine playing a necromancer in Thay, or rogue in Calimport, exploring Waterdeep and Undermountain! Good times!

Given the sheer volume of canon and lore surrounding Faerun it'd be a massive undertaking though. If done right it could definitely be a WoW killer.

"Well that sounds like fun times, Peter. Tell me...where does James Woods fit into the "fun times"."
- James Woods, Family Guy

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

15. Re: Dumped Simutronics? Jul 19, 2007, 14:44 Masa

Bring on Forgotten Realms MMO.

There's already D&D Online, dude. Admittedly, it's probably not very good (don't know, not into MMOs).

Ya gotta admit, they have stayed extremely faithful to D&D and Star Wars in their games.

Yes, but are Star Wars and D&D really all that different from one another? The former is science fiction and the latter fantasy, granted, but those are just largely themes. The things that distinguish each other are largely translatable to each other. I'd argue if a company can do one fantasy game real well it wouldn't be a stretch for them to do a Star Wars game with equal quality.

So BioWare is going to betray their roots... or what?

The root of gaming, in my mind, is suppose to be innovation; or failing that - make the game at least fun to play. I think everyone here would agree if you did at least that last part a game can be forgiven for falling short on truly doing something new and exciting (and let's face it, most of the game we like to cry as innovating and exciting are not new, they're largely amalgamations of features and plot lines from previous games). So really, how is BioWare violating or "betraying" their roots other than adding to the shrinkage of truly great single player PC games?

That's parallel to the fanboi reaction to Fallout 3 being made into a game played from the first-person perspective. It can hardly be called a first-person shooter simply because the way the game is not being designed around the ideals of Quake or DooM.

"But it's not Fallout!!! Waaah" (PJHF)

Yes, but do you really want to run around another isometric game looking down at a tiled environment and doing the same thing you did for the last two games? At least considering if you can get the chance to run around down in the ruins of the world from your perspective? If you answer yes, the first two are obviously still available for you to play.

Quit whining about lack of innovation in this case.
This comment was edited on Jul 19, 14:54.

14. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2007, 14:42 General Ego

So BioWare is going to betray their roots... or what?

well yeah, I guess if you wanna be all emo and melodramatic, you could say that

or you could acknowledge they want to try something new - if it keeps them in business to make more excellent PC (and console, I really don't care) games, why not make an MMO

and it's not like there's nothing to improve in the MMO genre anymore, so good luck BioWare

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 14:42.

|[ Jesus is coming. Look busy! ]|

13. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2007, 14:28 CreamyBlood

Well I liked KOTOR for the most part. Mostly because of the story, possibly even the linearity. It was/is pretty mindless but entertaining. I have to admit that I'm on the final planet and haven't been able to bring myself to finishing it. I really want to free up the hard drive space.

I guess it's an RPG 'lite' as I got more cash and items in my inventory than I know what to do with and I just slog through enemies clicking my mouse button without much fear. Despite losing interest in it I have say that it was pretty good fun while it lasted.

It was almost brilliant but somehow managed to bring itself down to something above mediocrity. Perhaps it was the dumbed down console roots, I don't know. I give it a thumbs up regardless.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo