Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Trailer

The E3 trailer for Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars is now available, offering a look at the gameplay and spiffy visuals in the multiplayer shooter in the works at Splash Damage. The clip is posted on FileFront and Gamer's Hell.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: console factor Jul 12, 2007, 16:58 Scottish Martial Arts

its clear now why the maps are designed for a recommended 24 players and maximum 32 players total. they optimized it to the lowest common denominator... the 360

I'm always curious how idiots like this ever figured out how to breathe. Would've saved the rest of us a lot of trouble if they hadn't.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: console factor Jul 12, 2007, 14:59 JaZeeL

what a bunch of sell out id software is.

Splash Damage.

29. console factor Jul 12, 2007, 13:34 zirik

its clear now why the maps are designed for a recommended 24 players and maximum 32 players total. they optimized it to the lowest common denominator... the 360 console. i would not be surprised if the final version allowed console and pc gamers to play on the same server. what a bunch of sell out id software is.

28. ... Jul 12, 2007, 11:02 grudgebearer

I've been waiting for this game forever, and I have been trying to enjoy the testing the beta, but this game has some huge problem in the areas of hitscan and netcode. Lag has been horrible since the beta update, and with a 30 ping playing against other players with similar pings I can point my crosshairs right at an opponent and the bullets still miss half the time. Don't even bother firing without trying to lead 10 feet if they have a higher ping than you do.

The vehicle physics are pretty screwy too. Like when you are on a husky quadbike and you are running full speed at the edge of a small cliff and instead of shooting off of it you ride down the side of the cliff.

Couple all this with the fact that they removed built-in VOIP from the game after spending a solid year touting it as an integral feater, and that according to SD's own MoP there is going to be an average of 15 advertisements per map this game is losing its appeal quicly

I'll reserve my final judgments for the demo, but all-in-all i am quite unimpressed so far.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 11:04.

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

27. Re: No subject Jul 12, 2007, 10:15 4D-Boxing

I'm with you on that one Jerykk.

I'm craving a good twitch game.

I like the slower pace strategic FPS but I also want variety. Not all FPShave to be ultra realistic war sims with Iron sights etc..

UT3 where are you my love LOL!!
I'm probably going to get spanked cause I'm closer to 40 than I am to 20 but I need the speed. Think fast act faster!

26. No subject Jul 12, 2007, 03:21 DangerDog

The OP is incorrect. The field ops can still replenish ammo and the medic can still replenish health. The medic can also call in a supply drop, where an aircraft will drop a stationary crate from which teammates can refill on ammo and health. The Strogg technician can likewise drop stroyent canisters for Strogg players, which restores both ammo and health. Individual Strogg players can also transfer stroyent between ammo and health. In other words if they have nearly full ammo but are about to die, they can transfer some of their ammo into health, although not at a 1:1 ratio. Finally, Strogg technicians can create spawn hosts out of GDF corpses which are essentially one time spawn points.

It's been awhile since I played Wolf:ET but I seem to remember racks of ammo placed in part of the map which you could freely walk up to and pick up, my comment was directed more to the fact that few people will bother to deploy ammo crates or even revive you - mostly while playing on Strogg side as it takes too long to do so while the GDF can zap someone back in less than a second.

I know that SD has worked their collective asses off on this game but unless it shows massive improvement between now and the final release it’s going to be met with strong criticism from the general public who have never played Wolf:ET and have experienced better gameplay with uh that other teamplay game battle.. something or another.

25. Re: No subject Jul 12, 2007, 01:08 sponge

well, not a 1-time deal at all. In fact, I have spawned from a spawn host numerous times. You can spawn from them until someone blows up the spawn host corpse.

You are absolutely wrong. Spawn hosts are one time. There's really no argument here-- it just is.

Anyone who wants ot learn more about the game would do a good thing to check out Ifurita's guide at http://4newbies.planetwolfenstein.gamespy.com/ETQW/ which is extremely in depth.

24. Re: No subject Jul 12, 2007, 01:05 sponge

They also got screwed over with the idea of trying to make it sort of like BF2 only faster paced

ET:QW has been cited as in development since 2003/2004 -- which makes sense since the game is based on the Doom3 base engine, and not Q4/Prey/etc. BF2 came out 2005. BF:V was 2004. Finally, 1942 was 2002, which predates the supposed start date.

23. Re: No subject Jul 11, 2007, 21:23 Bet

I wasn't that impressed with this video either. On the other hand I've logged over 20 hours in the beta and have loved it.

Same sentiment down to the hours played in the beta. At this point I want no video and more maps. Beta 2 please.

22. Re: No subject Jul 11, 2007, 19:19 ColoradoHoudini

QW has a ton of features that, like enahs has said, if you're not playing with a clan, you're not going to get the full value from.

if you play on pub servers with pubbers (which i intend to, as will most), you're not going to have a good chance to utilize all the features the game has to offer.

I have posted numerous times in official forums about potential problem areas I see, or areas I'd like to see better used/tweaked.

wild example of a personal peeve:
the Anti Personnel turrets are so fucking big, they stand about 4 feet higher than an 8foot wall. The very few places you are allowed to place the turret make it noticeable from a mile away. For the Strogg defenders on the beta map(pre GDF EMP capture), there are probably 4 locations you can put the anti vehicle/anti personnel turrets where they will be useful, give or take 4 feet. From all 4 of those locations I can blow up the turret from the safety of either my spawn, or 20 feet from it.
Then after teh GDF erect the EMP weapon, there are two locations the Strogg can place the turrets where they are semi useful at all.. and even then, they arent useful. One is visible from the spawn and easily destroyed. The other is at the strogg spawn and really not even useful there.

what I'm trying to say is that those of you with Tribes experience where you would carefully place turrets and mines and put up a good defense.. i dont see that so far in the beta.

"Finally, Strogg technicians can create spawn hosts out of GDF corpses which are essentially one time spawn points. "

well, not a 1-time deal at all. In fact, I have spawned from a spawn host numerous times. You can spawn from them until someone blows up the spawn host corpse.
--for those that don't know.
once a GDF player is killed, a Strogg technician can turn that persons body into a spawn point for one player. So I walked up to the corpse, press my "USE" button, and i bind myself to that corpse and will res there the next time i die. that is, as long as someone else hasnt bound themself to it before me.
very useful for defense

21. Re: No subject Jul 11, 2007, 18:40 Scottish Martial Arts

I'm bothered that this game isn't anything like Quake.

It isn't much like Quake but it's a lot like Wolf:ET, only improved. It's best not to think of this as a Quake game but as an Enemy Territory game, that just happens to have the Quake 2/4 storyline.

20. Re: No subject Jul 11, 2007, 18:38 Scottish Martial Arts

What? Further information that this is just nothing at all like WolfET?

The OP is incorrect. The field ops can still replenish ammo and the medic can still replenish health. The medic can also call in a supply drop, where an aircraft will drop a stationary crate from which teammates can refill on ammo and health. The Strogg technician can likewise drop stroyent canisters for Strogg players, which restores both ammo and health. Individual Strogg players can also transfer stroyent between ammo and health. In other words if they have nearly full ammo but are about to die, they can transfer some of their ammo into health, although not at a 1:1 ratio. Finally, Strogg technicians can create spawn hosts out of GDF corpses which are essentially one time spawn points.

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 18:42.

19. Re: No subject Jul 11, 2007, 17:57 Jerykk

I'm bothered that this game isn't anything like Quake. It's been a long time since I've played a good twitch shooter.

18. Re: No subject Jul 11, 2007, 17:52 PHJF

run out of ammo – you’re screwed, need some health or someone to revive you

What? Further information that this is just nothing at all like WolfET?

------
"That don't look like no golden marmoset I ever seen!"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: No subject Jul 11, 2007, 17:40 Overon

I have logged around 23 hours in the beta so far. So I want to address your points:
They should have never succumbed to the ‘we have to have vehicles in our game to be cool’ theme that almost all other FPS games are doing.

If you can’t code vehicle physics then don’t bother, the cardboard boxes that I turned into a car with my imagination when I was a kid had better handling than the ones in this game.
I agree with you about the vehicle physics. They are by far the worst I have ever seen in a fps. Floaty, bouncy, and things like tanks move way too fast and feel like they absolutely have no weight.
Also the vehicles are weak. They can't really take much punishment before exploding. Now I understand that they don't want vehicles to dominate. But a slight increase in vehicle durability I think is needed to make them more useful than just transportation. They can also increase the splash damage and overall damage for the vehicle weapons as well while they are at it.
They also got screwed over with the idea of trying to make it sort of like BF2 only faster paced, going prone, iron sights, leaning, having to ‘arm’ mines are just some of the things this game didn’t need because the arcade like gameplay over rules any form of slower spec-ops type gameplay, it’s just inconsistent, either you’re fast paced arcade gameplay or you’re not – don’t try to do both – big mistake.
I tend to agree. It is weird that this game has all these more tactical slow paced elements when the rest of the game is much more arcady and fast paced. Going prone is virtually useless in this game. A typical fight is close range where they just strafe around and unload their weapons at you and moving around does not have enough of a negative effect on accuracy for proning to be very useful. Vice versa proning does not have a high enough benefit on aiming to make it useful. Leaning is only a little more useful than proning.
The game also has an over reliance on teamplay without really having any gameplay mechanics that encourage teamplay – the fireteams option in this game leaves you begging for BF2 squads, run out of ammo – you’re screwed, need some health or someone to revive you – don’t count on it. I never realized how just a simple thing like being able to pick up someone else’s kit in BF2 made such a huge improvement over gameplay.
I tend to agree. I think not having built in voip is a mistake and just lazy if you want to encourage teamplay.

Also I think the weapon sounds are horrible like from a bad 1950's sci fi movie. They need more bass and feel more powerful.

16. Re: No subject Jul 11, 2007, 17:35 Enahs

Try chucking a grenade under a tank and watching the tank flip into the air..

Doesn't happen with me. And I am grenade king. I have over 100% accuracy with grenades. That is also why I liked Wolf:ET, the grenades where actual useful and realistic, not like other games. They barely even move the tank.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js
This comment was edited on Jul 11, 17:39.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

15. Re: No subject Jul 11, 2007, 17:27 The Truth

I never got what peoples problem with the vehicle physics where, they seem fine to me.

Try chucking a grenade under a tank and watching the tank flip into the air...

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 17:27.

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

14. Re: No subject Jul 11, 2007, 17:06 Enahs

If you can’t code vehicle physics then don’t bother, the cardboard boxes that I turned into a car with my imagination when I was a kid had better handling than the ones in this game.

I never got what peoples problem with the vehicle physics where, they seem fine to me.

They should have never succumbed to the ‘we have to have vehicles in our game to be cool’ theme that almost all other FPS games are doing.

I agree, everybody does that. I think SD did it properly, and made them not to useful but not a waste. I think they add a great touch to the game while not become a major feature like the BF series.

They also got screwed over with the idea of trying to make it sort of like BF2 only faster paced, going prone, iron sights, leaning, having to ‘arm’ mines are just some of the things this game didn’t need because the arcade like gameplay over rules any form of slower spec-ops type gameplay, it’s just inconsistent, either you’re fast paced arcade gameplay or you’re not – don’t try to do both – big mistake

Everything you mentioned but iron sighting was in Wolf:ET, and made it great.

It is a game, and everybody will have different opinions, which is cool.

I personally find it 100X better then any battlefield game to date.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

13. No subject Jul 11, 2007, 17:02 DangerDog

They also got screwed over with the idea of trying to make it sort of like BF2 only faster paced, going prone, iron sights, leaning, having to ‘arm’ mines are just some of the things this game didn’t need because the arcade like gameplay over rules any form of slower spec-ops type gameplay, it’s just inconsistent, either you’re fast paced arcade gameplay or you’re not – don’t try to do both – big mistake.

It sucks to see splash damage fail on their first “commercial” venture but only die hard id fanboys are going to stick with this game.

The game also has an over reliance on teamplay without really having any gameplay mechanics that encourage teamplay – the fireteams option in this game leaves you begging for BF2 squads, run out of ammo – you’re screwed, need some health or someone to revive you – don’t count on it. I never realized how just a simple thing like being able to pick up someone else’s kit in BF2 made such a huge improvement over gameplay.

Why are people always using comparisons of BF2 when ET:QW is suppose to be nothing like it? Because regardless of how much you hate EA or DICE they did do a whole lot of shit right, it’s just too damn bad that Splash Damage’s ego is too big to admit it and ‘borrow’ some of those things outright.

that all said, Wolf:ET is 10x better than this game.

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 17:03.

12. Strange Jul 11, 2007, 17:01 Fausticle

I prefer the feel of QW more then 2142 so I'll be picking this one up.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo