Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Q&As

• World of Warcraft
    The World of Warcraft Q&A on WarCry talks with Jeffrey Kaplan, lead designer on Blizzards MMORPG: "The more time you spend doing anything, the better you get at it. We've been continually developing World of Warcraft for a number of years now, and over that time we've learned quite a few lessons about how to make a better game. Since the launch of World of Warcraft, we have been able to see our theories in action. Certain elements worked well, others didn't. We realize that we need to constantly strive to evolve as a development team. The content we make today needs to be better than the content we made five years ago."
  • Warhammer Online
    Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning Q&A Part 2 on MMORPG.COM is the second part of their gamer's day conversation: "The Tome of Knowledge is one of those things, people think they understand what it is. You don't understand what it is. You have to play the game, it's integrated throughout the entire game. It's where you find out where you need to explore, where you find out the history, where you build your diary, where you collect your journal, where you unlock features, where you gain new skills. It's everything you've always wanted, the reason why you should never have to minimize the window and go to another website." Likewise, Part three of the Q&A with Jeff Hickman and Paul Barnett on WarCry is online.
  • Saga
    The Saga Q&A on GameShark chats with Jason Faller about the MMORTS game: "I suppose Saga is all about delivering a persistent MMO RTS. What MMORPGs did to the RPG, we want to do to the RTS genre. Traditional RTS hasn't changed in fifteen years (since Dune 2, really), and the clear future of RTS is all about more realism and higher stakes. MMORTS means your battles all count towards your empire's progression. Your guild declares and fights in wars that are ongoing. Your troops can really die, and it matters. Your buildings take damage and it matters. The resources you collect, the treasure you find, the upgrades and experience and weapons and armor for your troops all matter, because your empire never goes away. Like an MMO character. It changes the way you play RTS, and it's incredibly fun and addictive. Just think if all your StarCraft battles were part of a real permanent empire you were building online, in competition with thousands of other empires and you'll start to see what Saga's all about."
  • Pirates of the Burning Sea
    The Pirates of the Burning Sea Q&A on Multiplayer Online Games Directory talks with Flying Lab Softwareís Russell Williams about their new deal with SOE: "We werenít looking for a traditional publishing model, where the publisher finances the game and takes ownership and the lionís share of the profit. Weíre a completely independent studio, and we didnít want to lose that. SOEís Platform Publishing lets us leverage SOEís strengths while keeping our independence."

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. WoW's mistake Jul 1, 2007, 19:49 kookaveetsa

WoW's mistake is not making "everybody" happy, they need to learn that you can't make an mmo geared only towards some type of play style, you need to make an mmo that meets the needs for "every" type of play style, not more for guilds and/or raiding but for casuals and small groups as well with them getting equal quality rewards as the other play styles. That's why I canceled my account because in the case that I mentioned, it didn't interest me anymore, instead WoW just got worse instead of better.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 19:50.

"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2007, 19:00 Muscular Beaver

I never played SWG since I knew that a Star Wars MMORPG would suck.

Anyways, I see it wont make sense arguing with you if you think SOE makes shallow games with no content compared to WoW.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

21. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2007, 15:12 Trashy

eh played EQ too, I guess what you call entertainment is way different than mine. SWG made me want to cut myself, but was forced to play because I made friends and was a guild leader and Mayor of a player city...

No thanks SOE makes shallow games, with very little content gain.

good luck there Beaver

20. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2007, 14:58 Muscular Beaver

WoW is a far far easier "grind" than most MMORPGs that came before. Not to mention a better game all together.

And exactly that makes it so boring. At the end I tried to avoid killing mobs like the pest. I noticed how people LOVED killing every grey thing that jumps em. But for me the worst was when I had to kill lots of grey mobs for no reason. Even mobs that gave exp or for a quest was horribly boring. You notice that Blizzard knows this when you look at all the TBC bosses that require raid logics (but its still boring, sorry Blizzard).
At the end only PvP kept me playing. But BGs were never real PvP, and Blizzard destroyed world PvP with TBC even more, so I quit alltogether.

Now I am playing EQ again and, as before, every single fight is a challenge.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 14:58.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

19. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2007, 09:40 Trashy

Grind?? try playing an SOE MMO, try Star Wars Galaxies you had two kinds of quests.. one where a Random Camp spawns and you kill Stormtroopers/Rebel trooper or you have a quest where a random animal spawns out, kill the camp collect money. sure there was other weak quests but they were too far in between.

Rinse repeat several thousand times and you have the XP to be a master of your choson profession.... what can you do at master? kill more animals... hell I played a whole year before I could get an expansion to go to the said "Star Wars"

WoW is a far far easier "grind" than most MMORPGs that came before. Not to mention a better game all together.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 09:55.

18. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2007, 07:25 Grounded

"What story and adventure? WoW is just a big equipment grind. It's addictive for the same reasons slot machines are addictive. "

WoW is Diablo 2 with more grind. I also cant believe that Warhammer Online will have no death penalty. What is with developers nowadays? Especially with that product? Are they aiming for the 12 year olds that hang out at GW Bunker stores all day or the 26-30 something year olds that grew up reading Warhammer books and playing that game old school. Also a T for teen rating, with no blood in it? WTF? ITS WARHAMMER. My dawn of war will have more violence than that game

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 07:28.

17. GAH Jul 1, 2007, 06:29 Propagandhi

I can't believe noone called that Saga Q&A'er on his bullshit. Total Annihilation's boneyards shit beat them to the punch long ago, and pretending their haven't been inovative games since Dune 2 is also bullshit. Homeworld, Sacrifice and Myth: TFL are the obvious examples of innovative RTS's, but I'm sure someone can add more to the list.

Fuck WoW, this is IMPORTANT.

I eat pasta!

16. Re: Canceling WoW account Jul 1, 2007, 04:41 Trashy

eunichron said pretty much all what I would of said to Woodys comments.

Also IMO Leveling one character up fast is harsh, most players I know that power a single character up really fast end up leaving the game just a quick. Most end up feeling bored or sick of the "repeativeness" of the game and believe they seen it all. All I have to say is play the game in moderation, play multiple classes who knows you may find another class you like better.

Some people don't get MMORPGs.. it's opened ended you may as well enjoy the trip, it's not a something to beat as fast as you can.

And to the Guy who posted before me, obviously your one of the people that speed through the game or never played at all .... Must pull lever... ok it's an equiptment grind, but the game has a lot of redeeming qualities like a good Story line and humorous quests.

what no HTML code in comments yet?, been a while since I posted.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 05:46.

15. No subject Jul 1, 2007, 04:36 Silicon Avatar

Story and adventure?

What story and adventure? WoW is just a big equipment grind. It's addictive for the same reasons slot machines are addictive.

14. Re: Canceling WoW account Jul 1, 2007, 02:13 kookaveetsa

Quitters r teh gay

Sorry dude, I don't roll that way, you'll have to find someone else.

"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

13. Re: WoW jumped the shark Jul 1, 2007, 01:28 Masa

WoW? If you are reading this? I got a suggestion. Start an adults only server. Get rid of the young punks who steal and abuse people and quarantine them on their own server where they cannot hurt anyone.

Hey, does that mean we don't have to keep reading your stupid ass every time you post? Seriously, fuck off.

12. No subject Jul 1, 2007, 01:00 Pigeon

I think BC did a good bit of unbalancing in the name of marketing.

They made it very easy to get great gear in Outlands, I believe the slogan is "Green is the new Purple". I have a level 60 purple item from Azeroth that's on-par with level 62 greens in outland. Generally greens didn't start to exceed purple items till 6-10 levels. It also really made a lot of the old high level dungeons quests and items useless, same with job skills.

I've a fairly high level leather worker and dragon scale Leather Working was made practically useless, nobody is going to spend days trying to get enough hard to find materials (say black dragon scale) to make an armor set that's going to need to be replaced in a level or two. Alternatively in outland you can learn 300+ LW kill a few pigs and ravagers, skin them, and make an armor set thatíll blow any of the previous hard to make dragonscale out of the water. I know leather working wasn't the only one to get the screw on that.

I really feel this was done for marketing, "HEY LOOK IT ALL THIS AWESOME STUFF YOU CAN GET WITH LITTLE EFFORT IF YOU BUY THE UPGRADE." And I really dislike that, though most people I've run into seem to like it, which I guess is why blizzard did it. I wish they had let the game pull people in on the merit of the story and adventure rather than promises of quick and easy equipment. And I really do think they did a pretty good job with the story (at least the bit Iíve done so far). True its easy to get overwhelmed by the multitude of quests, I try to focus on one quest line at a time, that way Iím not running around for 8 different factions feeling like Iíve got ADD. I also really liked the blood elves story line for the 1-20 areas, gave me a sense of purpose and direction in the game.

Made once Blizzard feels theyíve drawn about everyone they can to BC theyíll rebalance all the weapons, items, instances, crafting and quests in the 50-60 range.

My thoughts on a few other things that were mentioned:

Dungeon Raiding has always seemed like a great idea to me, except I donít have five consecutive hours to devote to some of those dungeons. Itíd be nice if they could break them into smaller parts, yet those with the time to run the whole thing still can.

I like to PvP, I donít like PvPing with twinks (Especially bad in the lower levels) which is unfortunately what PvP has become all about. Itís a little annoying when some twinked out rogue can sneak up behind you and drop you in two hits. Itíd be nice if there were a twink league, then those people who like PvP but donít have or donít want to dump hundreds gold into a level 19 character. Plus all the twinks would have real competition (which they may or may not want).

Also itíd be nice if Blizzard could some how make some of those alliance PvPers get a clue. Not sure how theyíd do it, maybe send somebody to their house to strike them on the head, but yeah I figured while Iím wishing for miracles might as well wish for this too.

-That is all

11. Re: WoW jumped the shark Jun 30, 2007, 23:26 Tom

Just because someone doesn't like raiding doesn't mean MMOs aren't their type of game. A lot of people, myself included, happen to think raiding sucks, and there's much more fun to be had in leveling up. Woody outlined the reasons pretty well in his post. But you can only level up so much and then it's over. That's why I quit within a month once I reached 60 and never looked back. Well, there were plenty of other reasons, but that was a big one.

My advice - forget about WoW. There are many things that are more fun and less painful that you can do with your life. Life's too short to waste on WoW!

10. Re: WoW jumped the shark Jun 30, 2007, 23:22 verybad

I can't imagine a less desirable job than Customer Relations for Blizzard in a section devoted to WoW. I've never played it and never will, simply not my type of game, but the horror stories I've heard...

9. Re: WoW jumped the shark Jun 30, 2007, 22:05 Shok

Woody I know exactly what you mean. I started WoW back in January and loved it so much I subscribed for 3 months! It could never get old I said. Then I canceled for the same reasons you listed; the childish, well CHILDREN.

Someday we'll all have biochips we'll have to plug into an interface to verify age and we adults can play normal again

8. Re: WoW jumped the shark Jun 30, 2007, 22:04 eunichron

It was way too easy to get from 60 to 70. It took me 6 months to make a lvl 60 character. I think I made it to 70 in less than a month. The quests are all very short quests. "Walk 50 feet over their, kill monsters, lvl up".
Good. Less time spent leveling means more time doing endgame content. Fuck level grinding.
I don't like large groups.
So that automatically rules you out for raiding, which is the primary reason for playing the game anyway. Sounds like MMOs just isn't your type of game. Not to be insulting, but Diablo 2 is more your style. There's nothing wrong with that.
For some reason, after 6 months of having fun, I started running into assholes every day.
This late in the game, there are guilds that have been around for a year plus, and they generally stick together. Doing anything with a PUG is pretty much asking for open invites to assholes. The solution to this is to join a guild with a good reputation and build up your own reputation within that guild.
My character was balance druid. Everyone hates balanced druids.
Spec Restoration or Feral(tank). Everyone is always looking for tanks and healers, and both positions generally command respect, as long as you're skilled. I had a level 70 protection warrior that was probably on half of my server's friends lists, and I would get deals on craftables, because I had a good reputation as an amazing tank on the server. Plus being feral you will be more efficient dps. Feral druids that have one good set each of tanking, dps, and healing gear are great group assets, as they can do anything.
I think the reason WoW jumped the shark is because they cater to PvP.
Actually they don't. PVP in WoW plays second fiddle to endgame PVE. Remember, the first 8 months the game was out PVP wasn't even an option. PVP accounts for probably less than 20% of the level 70 content.
I will come back tomorrow if you make it fun again.
Every time I see someone say WoW is no longer fun, it's someone that's been playing for at least a year. I think it's more of a matter of people just getting burned out on the game, rather than the game changing for the worse. TBC changed absolutely nothing about content to experience at max level. It was always 3 categories, 5man dungeons, 10-20-25-40man raids, or PvP. If anything, TBC improved it by offering more. There are many more 5man dungeons in TBC than there was pre-TBC. And 6 months after release, there is already as much raid content as there was at 60. Honestly, I don't find the game to be as fun as I use to, but that's because I now have other things to occupy my time (school, serious girlfriend, work), which doesn't leave me much, if any time to do what I enjoyed most in the game (end game raiding). But I still have many fond memories both pre-TBC and post-TBC playing with my real life friends and friends I made through guilds I have been in over the years (yes, years. I've been playing since day 1).

[EDIT]
My cup overfloweth with spelling errors.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 22:10.

7. Re: WoW jumped the shark Jun 30, 2007, 21:13 xx

"I complained to Blizzard about 10 times so they had some of their guys pretend they were regular people and take me through the dungeons to shut me up."

i complained to microsoft about 10 times so they had some of their guys pretend they were regular people and fix my random crashes to shut me up.

6. Re: WoW jumped the shark Jun 30, 2007, 21:11 Omni

I quit wow before tbc came out. I was raiding every day and it just got boring some games will just get boring over time i guess especial mmorgp games will get boring.

No way in hell you can control the adult servers and there are still some adults that act like kids in wow and other games. I think if you really want to play it again then start your own guild to solve your problem with the so call "kids"

But my suggestion to you is try out http://www.lotro.com/ it is a bit more laid back than wow but still its good fun loads of quests etc.

Anyways you will never get rid of the lamers in online games they will always be there like it or not

5. Re: Canceling WoW account Jun 30, 2007, 21:01 Grounded

Wow does suck now, but Warhammer will be more of the same. No death penalty, travel anywhere you want instantly, more pussy shit with more of the same questing garbage with RVR that is gonna be less interesting than DAOC thrown in

Jesus I might as well go and Play lineage 2

4. WoW jumped the shark Jun 30, 2007, 20:48 Woody

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 16, 09:42.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo