Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

The Gaming of Business

GameDaily has a report based on a new study commissioned by IBM that suggests skills developed in online games may be useful in the world of business, where intuiting the workings of the economy (and presumably a willingness to grind) can be of great value. This has resulted in the creation of a program called Attent to allow the exploration of a virtual economy and see how this transforms the world of business. Here's a bit from GameDaily's summary of the 30+ page Adobe Acrobat report:

The study suggests that there are "significant parallels" between the skill sets of MMO players and those of effective leaders in the distributed, global workforce. For example, IBM and Seriosity state that "today's gamers are learning collaboration, self-organization, risk taking, openness, influence, and how to earn incentives linked to performance and be flexible in the way they communicate."

"What we've found is that success as a business leader may depend on skills as a gamer," commented Jim Spohrer, Director of Services Research, IBM Research Center in Almaden, CA. "Smart organizations are recognizing valued employees who play online games and apply their skills and experiences as virtual leaders to their 'real world' jobs."

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: No subject Jun 29, 2007, 20:09 Jerykk

SWAT 4 would've been cool as shit with that location damage system.

All shooters would be better with precise and explicit locational damage.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: No subject Jun 29, 2007, 19:11 Masa

That's funny. Cause the only thing i learned is 25 different ways to kill/mame/dissmember/pillage/corrupt a person, 50 different ways NOT to kill a Rock Troll, and found out that Mountain Do makes me "do the rush"...

I coughed on my coffee over that one. Seriously, that was pretty good.

In all seriousness, for all the people bitching in the SoF 3 thread about how SoF 2 sucked (hint: it didn't), SWAT 4 would've been cool as shit with that location damage system.

21. Re: No subject Jun 29, 2007, 18:51 Cutter

Big biz could learn from Blizzard. Imagine if doing a good job actually resulted in some tangible reward of better loot. Closed a good sales deal, get a Tag Heur. Close another one? Get a Rolex. Hell, you could grind toward getting a complete ensemble.

"Well that sounds like fun times, Peter. Tell me...where does James Woods fit into the "fun times"."
- James Woods, Family Guy

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

20. Re: No subject Jun 29, 2007, 18:33 PHJF

Well at least the next time my mother shouts "get a job!" at me I can just say "I am!"

------
"That don't look like no golden marmoset I ever seen!"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: No subject Jun 29, 2007, 18:03 S.W.A.T

That's funny. Cause the only thing i learned is 25 different ways to kill/mame/dissmember/pillage/corrupt a person, 50 different ways NOT to kill a Rock Troll, and found out that Mountain Do makes me "do the rush"...

Oh yeah and forgot. Makes my eyes just peachy in the morning.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 18:03.

"If time travel existed in the future, i would have kicked myself in the ass by now" -FLY

18. No subject Jun 29, 2007, 17:52 S.W.A.T

wtf?

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 18:04.

"If time travel existed in the future, i would have kicked myself in the ass by now" -FLY

17. Re: Wow ;) Jun 29, 2007, 16:42 Masa

Or as much as CounterStrike prepares you for a career in the Navy SEALS.
(At least you can identify weapons...)

Or not.

There are realism mods out to at least put the right labels on weapons.

"*hyuk* It's a MP5, better git it."

16. Re: finding leaders Jun 29, 2007, 15:59 Awesome Spume

when the "leader" is a little 12yr old girl who you would ignore in any other environment.

I sincerely hope so.

15. Re: finding leaders Jun 29, 2007, 14:45 VultureMAN

Where an MMO or Team based FPS can help is in finding leaders who otherwise would be hidden in the faceless masses of the company. Many people with leadership skills do not make themselves visible in the office environment for fear of consequences (office politics). Other potential leaders have honestly never been called upon to lead and don't know that they can. A game setting allows these people to shine without the potential nastiness of The Real World.

/now the scary part is that an avatar and a good voice chat may be an adavantage against discrimination when the "leader" is a little 12yr old girl who you would ignore in any other environment.

14. No subject Jun 29, 2007, 14:07 Conspiracy

Am I the only one that was instantly reminded of The 'Call of Duty' Office episode?

In any case, when graduating high school a few years ago, I was told to put on my college applications that I've had many years of MMO experience. They even mentioned it with much compliment in my interview, to my surprise.

13. Re: Wow ;) Jun 29, 2007, 13:27 Fang

This "report" would hold more water if the authors were not MMO players and thus not overtly biased to find that all the time they waste... er, I mean, INVEST in WoW is getting them something else besides a level 60 character.

"What we've found is that success as a business leader may depend on skills as a gamer..."

Please. A game doesn't make you a great leader. If you've developed leadership abilities in real life, they will show through no matter what you are doing. Can you learn business leadership in a MMO? As much as you can learn poker from playing without real money. Or as much as CounterStrike prepares you for a career in the Navy SEALS.
(At least you can identify weapons...)

12. Re: Wow ;) Jun 29, 2007, 12:21 PHJF

Agreed - I think the players who are good leaders already have the natural skills and they apply them in the game.

It also helps they are actually leading people who give a shit. Today's employee is about as apathetic as every cast member in Office Space, and rightfully so.

------
"That don't look like no golden marmoset I ever seen!"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Wow ;) Jun 29, 2007, 12:18 Jojo BoZley

I think it's true that there are parallels in the skills required to be a good business leader and a good guild leader but the skills probably have more to do with the individual than with the game.

Agreed - I think the players who are good leaders already have the natural skills and they apply them in the game. It's not the game giving them the skills..

10. Re: Wow ;) Jun 29, 2007, 11:56 BubbleMage

In corporate America, ninja-looting skills come in very handy. Maxing out your Backstab attack skill is also recommended.

Much like MMOs, crafters are usually salary capped, while people who just walk around in fancy clothes and shout orders over multi-channel communications networks get all the loot.

9. No subject Jun 29, 2007, 10:49 heroin

I'm glad someone realizes the importance of "the grind" and it's importance in games and the workplace. I love repetition, reminds me of the old days at Subway, or Boston Market... it definitely makes my days better when everyday is pretty much exactly the same. Really makes me feel alive. Now if only employers could figure out how to add a random rare sword or ring in there somewhere.

8. Re: Wow ;) Jun 29, 2007, 10:48 nin

"So looking at your resumé, I see you're maxed in tailoring and have a flying mount. You're just what our company is looking for!"

-----------------------------------------------------
Listen, now: http://yearzero.nin-thespiral.com/FLJoi4gjw2f/player.html

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Wow ;) Jun 29, 2007, 10:46 Bill Nakano

Ibm produce server farms for MMOs if I'm not mistaken. I think it's true that there are parallels in the skills required to be a good business leader and a good guild leader but the skills probably have more to do with the individual than with the game.

6. Re: Wow ;) Jun 29, 2007, 10:39 eunichron

Come on Cutter, you know upper management likes to blame everything on lag
"What?! How did you squander the McManus account?!"

"My ping spiked to 3000ms, I couldn't do anything! Hang on, let me reset my router, that might help."

5. Re: Wow ;) Jun 29, 2007, 10:37 MMORPGHoD

And you thought those high-end boss encounter raids were only in a game? Ha!

4. Re: Wow ;) Jun 29, 2007, 10:31 The Half Elf

Come on Cutter, you know upper management likes to blame everything on lag

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo