Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Black Powder Red Earth Announced

Echelon Software announces Black Powder (Power?) Red Earth, an online first-person shooter that "Unites Multiplayer Action with Social Networking in Tactical FPS action combines with a persistent virtual marketplace for an entirely new gaming experience." A trailer from the game is on FileFront. Here's word on how you can buy a virtual gun, shoot someone online, and Digg them a grave:

Echelon Unites Multiplayer Action with Social Networking in Tactical FPS action combines with a persistent virtual marketplace for an entirely new gaming experience

New York, NY- Jun 26, 2007 Echelon Software announces Black Power Red Earth, a multiplayer-only first-person shooter that combines highly stylized visuals and fast-moving tactical action with a persistent virtual marketplace and social network. Co-designed by former US Special Operations Forces members and private security contractors with operational experience in 32 countries on four continents, including Afghanistan and Iraq, BPRE captures the insane pace of high speed direct action missions like no game ever before!

"Rather than build an elaborate 3D world space, BPRE uses the same framework commonly found on the Web for social networking. Players are already used to creating and managing online identities on sites like Myspace and Orkut. They are also buying and selling real and virtual products on sites like Ebay, iTunes and Amazon. By using these familiar tools, BPRE keeps the learning curve as flat as possible," says Jon Chang, president of Echelon. "Best of all, unbinding these activities from the game executable gives players access to the world of BPRE either from inside the game or from the outside via any Web-enabled device. Persistence is the real world, anytime the players want it."

Set on Mars in 2043, Players act as mercenary soldiers executing contracts for warring corporations in a variety of urban/industrial sprawls, using bleeding edge weapons in hi-tech team based battles for virtual currency that can be used to purchase new weapons, upgrade existing weapons, buy armor and tactical enhancements to fine tune their in-game experience. As players rank up, they will also be able to open their own mercenary franchises. These franchises provide a base for recruiting other players into a clan, offer in- game advantages for members and allow the owners to open their own storefronts that compete against the game MSRPs and can generate "cash" from new players of the game. "FPS games are 'pick up and play' games that provide instant gratification with short, fast rounds and specific limited goals," Chang continues. "In BPRE we've extended that by rewarding players with in-game currency that can be used to customize the experience and set up their own in-game enterprises. Echelon has detached the social network and virtual marketplace from the game itself, so that it can be accessed from any Web-enabled device!"

Black Powder Red Earth Features:
Game features include:

• Multiplayer-only, allowing up to 16 players to battle online together
        • Next-generation graphics powered by Unreal Engine 3
        • 8 contract campaign plays out in a detailed near-future 3D environments
        • Earn "virt cash" to collect more than 100 parts and accessories
        • Customize weapons, browse for new items, and build a career in a familiar Web interface in- game or from any Web browser at any time!
        • Build a franchise private military company (PMC) with other players or create a competing store front to sell arms and gear to other players
        • Association with former PMC operatives ensures realistic game play

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: No subject (pgoeleven) Jun 28, 2007, 05:24 Lactose The Intolerant

This is going to make good employee drama in a couple of years.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: No subject (pgoeleven) Jun 27, 2007, 19:11 vermin

> Dunno what to make of the game. I think it'll be... uneven. Seems like they got to hold on to the Unreal Engine 3 though.

yeah, from the gamespot thing is seemed like this project would go nowhere, past their little demo. they still have left to prove they can make a real game out of this, since all you can see in the teaser trailer is the demo level they made... but wow a publisher must have picked it for them to officially announce it like this right? completely nuts. or someone with money must have liked it, can't see any mention of a publisher actually.

17. Re: No subject Jun 27, 2007, 08:55 killerpony

Agreed, don't waste your time.

16. Enjoy Jun 27, 2007, 00:36 venomhed

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 27, 11:04.

15. Re: I would never Jun 26, 2007, 22:48 CreamyBlood

seta g_gravity "0.377"

14. I would never Jun 26, 2007, 22:45 venomhed

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 27, 11:04.

13. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2007, 21:35 pgoeleven

I watched the Indievelopment series on GameSpot about this game. It's funny to hear from them at this time really.

I still can't get over the fact that it takes place on Mars, in the future with the mercenaries walking around without oxygen supplies using current day body armor/equipment.

When they pitched this idea to Epic... lol the look on their faces when they heard this, haha. It's like everyone on the team had their idea of what a game should have (one part counter-strike, one part doom, one part tom clancy) and instead of making consistent choices they all got their wish (and ended up with modern day mercenaries walking around on MARS buying weapons like in CS - lol).

Dunno what to make of the game. I think it'll be... uneven. Seems like they got to hold on to the Unreal Engine 3 though.

12. No subject Jun 26, 2007, 21:29 space captain

straight outta locash, crazy motherfucker named gusto - i fucked yo wife cuz the bitch is a dirty ho, i fucked your sista, i fucked yo cat, i woulda fucked yo mama but the bitch is too fat

Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2007, 21:06 TangoBaker

I was hoping for some kind of Public Enemy/Total Recall Hybrid. Dang.

10. No subject Jun 26, 2007, 21:05 Hump

can you say "Tax shelter"?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

9. some early game footage Jun 26, 2007, 20:44 vermin

if you want a really early look at this game, it was a part of a indie games thing gamespot did late last / early this year. all the video episodes are up here, http://www.gamespot.com/shows/indievelopment/index.html

8. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2007, 20:39 Masa

Oh hell, a direct mention of "black power" will almost certainly draw the common retards to the thread.

::the specter of Assrammer venomhed haunts these boards::

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 20:39.

7. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2007, 20:06 dubfanatic

Looking forward to more footage! Maybe show some of the fricken characters heh!?

Maybe there are no characters.... I mean, the idea I got from the press release is that this is a MASSIVE PARADIGM SHIFT in Social Networking Tactical FPS e-Commerce Web 2.0 concepts! Player models are so 2006.

6. No subject Jun 26, 2007, 19:56 Rainier

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 27, 11:02.

5. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2007, 19:48 Joss

Aside from the weird naming, I thought the footage was amazing! I mean... that plume of smoke was 'scary' real!

Looking forward to more footage! Maybe show some of the fricken characters heh!?

4. Black power? Jun 26, 2007, 19:46 Fausticle

Kill whitey!

3. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2007, 19:45 DrEvil

Useless fucking 'trailer'

2. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2007, 19:28 SquirrelZero

To be fair, the first paragraph says "Black Power." I was about to comment on how it would be hard to come up with a worse name, but then I saw "Black Powder" at the bottom.

1. No subject Jun 26, 2007, 19:24 dubfanatic

"Unites Multiplayer Action with Social Networking in Tactical FPS action combines with a persistent virtual marketplace for an entirely new gaming experience."

Did we learn nothing from Web 1.0? BTW Blue, it's "Black Powder", not "Black Power"

Actually, they switch between the spellings in the press release..... interesting.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 19:26.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo